How bad is the open diff in the snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
I may have a little buyers remorse because I didn't at least get the locking rear. We don't usually get bad snow here but every decade or so we get nailed. Any input on how these trucks do in 2wd in the snow?
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
It still has traction control but you will need weight in the back.

OP
OP
Dokkenmire

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It still has traction control but you will need weight in the back.
Yeah I've ran 2wd trucks in the snow before and plan to throw a few hundred pounds back there. Just looking for actual firsthand experiences. So far the traction control has been pretty bad in the rain, I have to lift before it comes around on me.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I tried mine in 2wh in about 8” of snow with no weight. It was ok but not great. I could drive it but traction was very limited.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dokkenmire

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried mine in 2wh in about 8” of snow with no weight. It was ok but not great. I could drive it but traction was limited.
I'm used to the brake assisted limited slip in the Tacomas, they work fantastic. Hopefully some weight will at least keep me moving.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I would say 150lbs.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I'm used to the brake assisted limited slip in the Tacomas, they work fantastic. Hopefully some weight will at least keep me moving.
I used two wheel drive Tacoma with the locker in past I though the locker engaged was worse the open dif !if given two much throttle both tires would break loose pushing truck sideways. snow tires and weight over rear axle worked best if no 4x4 !!

OP
OP
Dokkenmire

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used two wheel drive Tacoma with the locker in past I though the locker engaged was worse the open dif !if given two much throttle both tires would break loose pushing truck sideways. snow tires and weight over rear axle worked best if no 4x4 !!
I think if we ever do get any real snow I'll have to make a video of how it does. I've never had an open diff 2wd in snow, it's always been a limited slip or 4wd.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I’ve used mine a few times without locking the axle and without putting the truck in 4wd. I don’t have any weight in and as long as you’re easy on the gas pedal it’s not bad at all. I do have winter tires on though so they definitely help!

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger XLT 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Snow tires make a tangible difference. I've always thrown a couple hundred pounds in for good measure as it rides better too.

Formula Indy

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve used mine a few times without locking the axle and without putting the truck in 4wd. I don’t have any weight in and as long as you’re easy on the gas pedal it’s not bad at all. I do have winter tires on though so they definitely help!
I agree, I don't have winter tires and I was happy with it in snow in 2wd. You have to disable everything to have any "fun"

Deleted member 1634

My experience so far as been 2H with no weight is actually pretty good in the snow if you're easy on the gas and use some common sense. We've gotten a handful of storms so far, anywhere from a few inches to 24", and the truck has done really well in the snow. Not once have I locked the diff, used 4L, or used the snow mode (FX4). I have used 4H at some points, but not as much as I was thinking I'd have to. The traction control has helped quite a bit getting going from a stop.

Ice on the other hand is no fun at all. 2H on ice is quite the balancing act trying to pull away at a stop light. I'm gonna try adding some weight to the bed for that. Obviously the real fix is snow tires, which I may end up getting starting next winter, depending on how much heartache I get this winter.

I have stock FX4 Hankook Dynapro tires by the way.

I think in the end, a light foot and some common sense go a long way for winter driving.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
A lot of people complain about the traction control, but I honestly don't think most know how to use it properly. It works just fine and it does its job well.

The biggest thing is to just maintain light, constant input into the accelerator in low traction conditions and letting the traction control do the work. It's just like what you do when ABS kicks in - keep pressure on the brake pedal and let ABS do it's job. I think people who don't like traction control are just stomping on the gas over and over, and complaining that the truck won't do what they want it to do lol.

Nonetheless, some weight in the back and light, consistent inputs will help you get you going.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Forget adding weight, that's not a good option, and can make the ride even more unsafe. Why not just install a better diff?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.