How bad is the open diff in the snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Funny though, 2rwd vehicles do have better control in snow when both wheels are not spinning at the same time. Hence, a locker really sucks on slippery ground. Traction and control are two totally different things, but if you have traction you definitely need control.

But then begs the question, if you are worried about snow and bought a 2rwd vehicle, then you bought the vehicle with wrong type of driveline.

If it's a 2rwd open diff vehicle, the only option is some really good winter/snow tires, and drive like a snail. Or, just stay home. Or, call a friend who has a 4x4 to tote you around.
I live in Northern IllAnnoy, and never needed to call a friend with a 4X4 and I have never owned a 4X4.
In situations where you may think you need a 4X4, better drive like a snail anyway...4X4 may help you get going to high speeds, but it won't help you stop any faster... in fact you can expect longer stopping distances.
Sponsored

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
I live in Northern IllAnnoy, and never needed to call a friend with a 4X4 and I have never owned a 4X4.
In situations where you may think you need a 4X4, better drive like a snail anyway...4X4 may help you get going to high speeds, but it won't help you stop any faster... in fact you can expect longer stopping distances.
What makes a 4x4 give you longer stopping distance?
Driving slow like a snail is not the control part, so yeah, agree with you, drive slowly regardless of 2x or 4x.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What makes a 4x4 give you longer stopping distance?
Driving slow like a snail is not the control part, so yeah, agree with you, drive slowly regardless of 2x or 4x.
Physics, same truck, same brakes, more weight., Just like carrying payload, or towing.
Problem is that 4X4 can lead to over confidence, .

Last edited:

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Physics, same truck, same brakes, more weight., Just like carrying payload, or towing.
Problem is that 4X4 can lead to over confidence, .
So in essence this is the same thing as throwing 200lbs of sand bags in the bed of the 2x ?
Would skinnier tires make a diff? Going to a skinnier tire means more surface psi, more surface psi means more friction (and ability of tread to cut).

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So in essence this is the same thing as throwing 200lbs of sand bags in the bed of the 2x ?
Would skinnier tires make a diff? Going to a skinnier tire means more surface psi, more surface psi means more friction (and ability of tread to cut).
I don't know exactly what the weight of a transfer case, front axle, drive shaft etc is but you are exactly right... just like payload.

I figure its about 8-10% more weight more or less. All else being equal.
Its not a lot... but it is important to slow down and increase following distance on slick surfaces, regardless of which or how many wheels drive.

Everyone has a comfort zone, but I drop 10-15MPH when towing even on dry pavement and increase following distance by an extra length or two.

Of course tires always make a difference, and compound is generally the most important factor,
but we are starting to digress from the original question...

While lots of factors contribute to safe driving, I would still prefer a Limited Slip over an Open Rearend
, especially for towing!
Maybe if I get used to improved traction control with vectoring I might change my mind over time.

Cali_Ranger

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Yes. Running skinny tires will put the same amount of weight onto a smaller contact patch (Area of tire that is in contact with the ground) and will cut through the slush and hardpack better.

OP
OP
Dokkenmire

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
Chuck is convinced weight in the back is unsafe and will lead to accidents lol. How can you have an accident if you can't get moving to begin with? Ever tried pulling a liftgate trailer with the axles slid all the way forward with a big truck in the snow? It doesn't work, you need to slide the axles back to put weight on your drive tires or you aren't going anywhere. We purposely pickup return pallets from deliveries when possible to add weight to the truck for traction. I gross 80,000lbs routinely all winter long driving in the Northeast. I've been doing this for 15 years up here. I didn't ask for advice, I asked for people's experiences driving the open diff in snow. I got a handful of good answers based on actual experience. I've been a driver trainer for years and have a perfect safety record for over 1.5 million miles...I really don't need advice, especially from someone who thinks weight in the back of a pickup is detrimental to winter driving ffs.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
according to some spec charts on the 4x4 supercrew vs 2x4 supercrew, it's just shy of 200lbs
So more like 5%?
Wow that is light!, for the front axles, differential, driveshaft, skid plates, and transfer case combined!
If so the difference in stopping distance on ice should be negligible, as Chuck implied

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

I think in the end it comes down to what you are most comfortable with and have the most experience with.
Some people have always driven with limited slip diffs, and need them to feel safe driving in bad conditions, because that's what they're used to and how they know how to drive.
Some people have always driven 4WDs, and need them to feel safe driving in bad conditions, because that's what they're used to and how they know how to drive.
Some people have always used extra weight in the bed, and need it to feel safe driving in bad conditions, because that's what they're used to and how they know how to drive.
Some people have always driven FWD cars, and know how to handle them in the snow, because that's what they're used to and how they know how to drive.

We can argue all day about what each of us thinks is the best in winter conditions, and in essence we're all correct in some way, because it is subjective. Nothing beats your own experience, because that is really all you know to be true and factual.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Locking thread as it has run its course
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.