One tailgate cable is slack when tailgate is down

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
" And to add insult to injury, if you want to buy the tie downs from the parts department... in 2019 the tie down brackets were $12.98 each. Now they are about $30 each! "

Of course, when they came with the truck already they were cheap.
Sponsored

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I just noticed I only have four tie downs in the bed, with empty holes for another two. Had to double check that it's supposed to have six?!? Years later people will be avoiding the "COVID Cars" lol.
And to add insult to injury, if you want to buy the tie downs from the parts department... in 2019 the tie down brackets were $12.98 each. Now they are about $30 each!
D-Rings. Cheaper and better IMO
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ranger-today.4696/post-204748

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I just noticed I only have four tie downs in the bed, with empty holes for another two. Had to double check that it's supposed to have six?!? Years later people will be avoiding the "COVID Cars" lol.
Unless it's an old build, 4 is the proper number; Ford made that change some time ago.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

just picked up my new ranger last night and had a chance to go over it in the daytime today. I noticed that when I have the tailgate down that one of the cables is slack while the other is taught. I am guessing this is not normal but this is my first truck and I’m not sure what the norm is. Pictures to better illustrate are below/attached.
Want to make sure I don’t damage the tailgate or ignore this in case I overload it past 1 cables weight limit a few years down the road.

FED05552-DA54-45E0-B344-8FF606190AD2.jpeg

962CD26F-663A-45CF-BC0A-406D90D5D1B0.jpeg
Mine is the same. Nothing catching in respect to the tailgate, haven’t swapped the cables; it’s under warranty, so the dealer can do that for me (not that I can’t do it myself). I’ll mention it tomorrow when I bring it in for warranty work (second time the driver’s side front diff. output shaft seal has leaked), and to have my Ford/Fox level kit installed (also, could easily do myself, though time is a priority).

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Just a few more...
The wise and all powerful people behind the green curtain of left coast ineptitude, expect you to lash a canvas cover over the 500# garden boulders you carry, so yeah, need lots of tie downs...

1610715810578.png
:giggle:

CrazyIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
" Why this was not caught at the final line inspection at the plant is baffling."

Well, the doors fit great on one side of my truck and not so great on the other. I'm thinking the weird COVID-related supply chain and shutdown issues are impacting build quality.
Just a shot in the dark but you may want to push on the black trim that lines the body where the door shuts. I had some passengers in the back seat and for awhile after that I noticed that the drivers side passenger door would take a bit more force to shut securely. I pushed on that trim and it snapped back into place because the passenger had caught and pulled it off slightly. Now the door shuts normally.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
" Just a shot in the dark but you may want to push on the black trim that lines the body where the door shuts."

The trim is fine, but the doors were not fitted well on one side. Perfect on the passenger side, though. My brother asked the service writer at his dealership and was told a lot of them are like that. He has a 20 ranger, too, and has a few issues with panel fitment.

" how many tie downs do you really think you need????"

Ford thought 6, and there are holes for 6, so 6. It's not complicated.

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
Cables on my 2020 XLT are the same -- left one is slightly loose when tailgate is open. Both go tight if I lean on the tailgate. As to the tiedowns, I asked my dealer when I bought the truck and he took a couple off of another truck on the lot and put them on my truck.. no muss, no fuss..

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Not better at all. Those D-Rings only capture one bolt, therefore half the strength of the factory tie down.
IMO, not your opinion. :) I was offering an option where I should have explained my application and why they better for me. I use 2 of them, one for each hole where the regular tie down would go. I can use them individually to strap things to one side of the bed or together across the bed. If together, I have 2 holes in use. And they are easier to get a strap through especially when you have a drop in bed liner.
Are they equal to the factory strength? I have no idea but I'm not hauling or securing heavy loads daily. I certainly don't plan on being one of those guys who loses a couch or dresser in the road and would take precautions to prevent that by using multiple tiedowns , straps and watching the load while making the trip stopping to check the load if a long trip.
Now my BIL, he puts a big screen in the back of the bed with 1 strap across the lower 1/2 of the tv. You can guess the results.:facepalm:
As with the majority of information on the internet, its an opinion, not fact and let the reader use their best judgement for their needs. Carry on :like:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
IMO, not your opinion. :) I was offering an option where I should have explained my application and why they better for me. I use 2 of them, one for each hole where the regular tie down would go. I can use them individually to strap things to one side of the bed or together across the bed. If together, I have 2 holes in use. And they are easier to get a strap through especially when you have a drop in bed liner.
:like:
It's all good. Based on your last post you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject, but many folks aren't. My comment was only to ensure that somebody that isn't mechanically inclined doesn't install those D-rings and expect them to perform the way the OEM ones do.

Last edited:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
It's all good. Base don your last post you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject, but many folks aren't. My comment was only to ensure that somebody that isn't mechanically inclined doesn't install those D-rings and expect them to perform the way the OEM ones do.
And back to the original subject, Maybe the tailgate damper will take the slack out of the cable. YMMV! ? :LOL:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
And back to the original subject, Maybe the tailgate damper will take the slack out of the cable. YMMV! ? :LOL:
Nope, wrong side.

Maybe if you set your purse on the passenger side of the tailgate that would be heavy enough to straighten out the cable. ??
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: FoD