Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase
So I looked through the list of common issues and didn't see this posted. When I fold down the tailgate the passenger side cable is taught but the driver side cable is extremely loose. Probably over 1 inch of slack. Is there an adjustment that can be made to rectify this? Or do I just need to get another cable?
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Go to the dealer, they should both be tight.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
So I looked through the list of common issues and didn't see this posted. When I fold down the tailgate the passenger side cable is taught but the driver side cable is extremely loose. Probably over 1 inch of slack. Is there an adjustment that can be made to rectify this? Or do I just need to get another cable?
silly question but... is the clip at the top end of the cable fully clipped into place and free to rotate on both sides?

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Mine is like this also. Both cables are installed correctly but the last one is never tight unless you stand on the tailgate. I haven't taken it in yet but I plan to. I have several other issues I am going to group together with it.

OP
OP
Arc Ranger

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
silly question but... is the clip at the top end of the cable fully clipped into place and free to rotate on both sides?
Yes both clips are in place as they should be. I'm scheduled to go to the dealer monday morning so they can install the bed liner and the tow hitch, and they are supposed to perform the TSB to fix the rear seat latch as well. So while the proverbial hood is up, I will have them look at the tailgate cables also.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The tighter slows down the tailgate and the other one stops it if you slam it down or cant handle the weight. :LOL:

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Magnetic Gray / 2020 Explorer Limited RWD Magnetic Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is the same. When the tailgate is open, the passenger side is tight and drivers side has a little slack. My Tacoma was the same. I wonder if that is by design?

OP
OP
Arc Ranger

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I was at the dealer on Monday to get the bed liner put in and the tow hitch. I showed them the issue with the tailgate cable and they stated that this is normal. They should me a couple of other Rangers and they were all the same. I guess it is a non issue? The weird thing is that nobody can tell me why it is designed this way. The guys at the dealership had no answer other than, that's just how it is. Very strange.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
So I was at the dealer on Monday to get the bed liner put in and the tow hitch. I showed them the issue with the tailgate cable and they stated that this is normal. They should me a couple of other Rangers and they were all the same. I guess it is a non issue? The weird thing is that nobody can tell me why it is designed this way. The guys at the dealership had no answer other than, that's just how it is. Very strange.
Both of my cables are tight. Has anyone checked to see if the mounting bolt adjusts to tighten the cable?

OP
OP
Arc Ranger

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Both of my cables are tight. Has anyone checked to see if the mounting bolt adjusts to tighten the cable?
It's not a slotted connection so I don't see how it could be adjusted to make the cable tighter.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'd call it "within tolerance". Presumably if you put 400lbs on the tailgate, both cables would be tight.
My driver side cable is slightly loose (not 1/2" like someone else said - just not taut). If I sit on the tailgate both cables are tight. But I'm not 400 lbs... :) Doesn't take a lot to tighten up the driver side cable really.

I'd agree - it is probably within tolerance. The aluminum tailgate seems to have a bit more flex to it.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
My driver side cable is slightly loose (not 1/2" like someone else said - just not taut). If I sit on the tailgate both cables are tight. But I'm not 400 lbs... :) Doesn't take a lot to tighten up the driver side cable really.

I'd agree - it is probably within tolerance. The aluminum tailgate seems to have a bit more flex to it.
I had never looked before. Because of this discussion, I actually looked yesterday. And, YES one (driver side) is SLIGHTLY loose.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
ever try and swage crimp cable ends to an exact dimension?
not an easy task to get really bang on. and does it really matter in this case?
an unloaded tailgate will easily tighten the shortest cable first, and we dont even need the lengths to be off by much and it'll show.
i guess some could be fractions of an inch off, some may only be thousandths.
If you'rs if off by alot and it bugs you to no end, we should start an exchange pool. Measure your wrong dimension cable, log it into a data base and when someone else needs that length, they can exchange it until everyone is happy with the lengths.

other than sitting there drinking a frosty beverage and looking at the cable getting frustrated about it, who really cares?
you don't generally drive the truck that way and when the tailgate is weighted down hauling something, the slack is taken up by flexing etc.
If it's really off, then I guess it could bend the tailgate if loaded heavily. Someone start a Wiki post to keep track of everyone's measurements. I'll call it "The length of your cable" thread.

that or "Short Cables Seeking Slightly Longer Cables" Whatever doesn't get deleted.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
The aluminum tailgate flexes quite a bit, and I venture to say if your loading a motorcycle or lawn tractor and both cables arent sharing the load the tailgate is going to bow
Sponsored