Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase
In my original post I said about an inch of slack, and that was way off. Looked at it again and its probably in the ballpark of 3/8". I just eyeballed it, but I'm pretty good at stuff like that (I'm an Architect FWIW). I sat on the tailgate and it wasn't enough weight to engage the loose cable (I weigh about 150 pounds). Its possible that if I were to load something with significant weight it might flex the tailgate enough to engage the loose cable, but this just seems like shoddy design to me.
Sponsored

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
ever try and swage crimp cable ends to an exact dimension?
not an easy task to get really bang on. and does it really matter in this case?
an unloaded tailgate will easily tighten the shortest cable first, and we dont even need the lengths to be off by much and it'll show.
i guess some could be fractions of an inch off, some may only be thousandths.
If you'rs if off by alot and it bugs you to no end, we should start an exchange pool. Measure your wrong dimension cable, log it into a data base and when someone else needs that length, they can exchange it until everyone is happy with the lengths.

other than sitting there drinking a frosty beverage and looking at the cable getting frustrated about it, who really cares?
you don't generally drive the truck that way and when the tailgate is weighted down hauling something, the slack is taken up by flexing etc.
other than sitting there drinking a frosty beverage and looking at the cable getting frustrated about it, who really cares?
Exactly. I NEVER would have noticed if this discussion was not started. Just pressed down lightly and it tightened up.

OP
OP
Arc Ranger

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase
not a shoddy design, tailgate cables have been in use forever.

shoddy workmanship will get you 3/8" of difference.

I'm sure the Ranger isn't the first to have uneven cables nor will it be the last.

if you're using a tailgate to support a load, your only option is to change cables till your happy.

If I was a Ford design engineer, I would be tickled pink that this is one of the things thats being complained about. it tells me how great the truck is overall when it gets down to this kind of nitpicking.
The dealer is the one telling me that they are designed this way, hence my statement about shoddy design.

I agree that this is a great truck, and I took a lot of time researching different pickups before landing on this one. This is my first truck (i've always owned and driven sedans) so you're right, I am probably just nitpicking. But since it is my first truck I can't decipher yet what is a big deal and what should probably be glossed over. Sounds more and more like this is something I should probably just gloss over.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
you'll find good dealers/service managers, and bad ones.
i think a prudent one would at least take the time to measure yours and determine if another would fit better, it's a cop out to say, "its designed this way" without backing it up for a reason. They should be saying this part is contracted out to the lowest bidder. the quality is lacking, we will look into our inventory and see if a cable here meets your needs.
It matters to you, and you're their customer so they should at least make an effort.

I know I'll probably look at my truck next time i have the tailgate down. Most likely i'll give an "I'll be damned, my aren't the same length either". I likely wont go beyond that. but i'f im parked beside another ranger with the same issue, I'd likely be Hey, I got an idea....lets see if we can switch with better lengths to suit us.
Agreed on the dealer part. The OP's dealer is blowing smoke by saying it is designed like that.

Poor production by supplier. No way 3/8" off meets the design spec.

And the dealer is a tool for not trying to correct.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed on the dealer part. The OP's dealer is blowing smoke by saying it is designed like that.

Poor production by supplier. No way 3/8" off meets the design spec.

And the dealer is a tool for not trying to correct.
If I had to venture a guess, mine couldn't be more than 1/8" or so off - it doesn't take much to make it taut.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Before I start condemning the design I'd gather a bit more evidence. Such as, what happens if you switch both cables? Does the looseness switch sides or stay on the same side? (Obviously use caution when both cables are disconnected to not let go of the tailgate).

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
who knows if there is even a final design spec.
perhaps the cable is cut to a spec and the ends are swaged on, assuming they'll be bottomed out and maintain to the correct overall distance.
Joey at the on time delivery cable factory needs to pump out a pair of cables every few minutes and he's rushing and not checking the length as accurately as he should.

My dads 1978 F150 had those finger slicing guillotines made from metal bars. I think you could carry the full bed capacity on the tailgate alone with those pieces of iron.
There is a design spec for every part on every car.

Jimmyk

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
real estate
I have a 2021 tremor and my driver side cable is loose about .25 inches it never is tight even with weight I took it to the dealer and they ordered 2 new ones, tried all combintions of the old and new,nothing worked they said some are like that. Did anyone ever get their issue resolved? Please?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I had a similar condition, so I needed a slight tailgate adjustment. I summoned the wife to sit on the side of the tailgate where the slack was as I needed the weigh..... AND that when the fight started.... :)

Best,
Phil

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Wow a June 2019 post exhumed. Truck drivers dont need the extra expense/weight/embarrassment of a damper.
Sponsored