Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 super crew Lariat FX4
Occupation
Sales
Hey everyone,

just picked up my new ranger last night and had a chance to go over it in the daytime today. I noticed that when I have the tailgate down that one of the cables is slack while the other is taught. I am guessing this is not normal but this is my first truck and I’m not sure what the norm is. Pictures to better illustrate are below/attached.
Want to make sure I don’t damage the tailgate or ignore this in case I overload it past 1 cables weight limit a few years down the road.

FED05552-DA54-45E0-B344-8FF606190AD2.jpeg

962CD26F-663A-45CF-BC0A-406D90D5D1B0.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

FrostySaguaro

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
thanks for the insight, was thinking this might be the case as well but wanted to be sure.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

just picked up my new ranger last night and had a chance to go over it in the daytime today. I noticed that when I have the tailgate down that one of the cables is slack while the other is taught. I am guessing this is not normal but this is my first truck and I’m not sure what the norm is. Pictures to better illustrate are below/attached.
Want to make sure I don’t damage the tailgate or ignore this in case I overload it past 1 cables weight limit a few years down the road.
Hi Ryan,

Have a look to make sure the bottom of the tailgate isn't getting caught up on something like a dealer licence plate frame or loose bumper trim.

OP
OP

FrostySaguaro

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Hi Ryan,

Have a look to make sure the bottom of the tailgate isn't getting caught up on something like a dealer licence plate frame or loose bumper trim.
Good idea, just went and the tailgate does not appear to be in contact with any trim or anything other than the pivot points where it’s connected. Going to chalk this up as within tolerances I think.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

FED05552-DA54-45E0-B344-8FF606190AD2.jpeg

962CD26F-663A-45CF-BC0A-406D90D5D1B0.jpeg
Hi Ryan,

I have seen this from time to time on our prototypes. Have had some success swapping the cables side to side. Since the Ranger is under warranty...best to take it back to the dealer for their assessment as in your case this is quite excessive. Dealer should order two new cables for you in my opinion. Why this was not caught at the final line inspection at the plant is baffling.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Good advise from all Ryan. Now, let's see some pictures of your new Ranger. Congratulations, and enjoy the ride.

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
My left side cable is slightly slack also - but not nearly that much.

You might want to take Phil Schilke's advice...

OP
OP

FrostySaguaro

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Thanks everybody for the input, going to get it checked at the dealership and will update what I hear back. Pictures to come tomorrow, new fake raptor grill comes in and I’ll do a before and after.

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
" Why this was not caught at the final line inspection at the plant is baffling."

Well, the doors fit great on one side of my truck and not so great on the other. I'm thinking the weird COVID-related supply chain and shutdown issues are impacting build quality.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
" Why this was not caught at the final line inspection at the plant is baffling."

Well, the doors fit great on one side of my truck and not so great on the other. I'm thinking the weird COVID-related supply chain and shutdown issues are impacting build quality.
If the vehicle leaves the plant with real quality issues, that's an indicator of piss poor quality assurance program.

However, in the OP's case, one cable with some slack in it probably isn't something that is even checked.

Ford has done some miserable things though. One of the biggest, in my mind, is shipping trucks with no seam sealer on some of the doors. That's a breach of contract, basically selling an incomplete vehicle in which their negligence will lead to rust issues. At a minimum these trucks should have been flagged for repairs at the dealership before putting them out for purchase by the general pubic.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Hi Ryan,

I have seen this from time to time on our prototypes. Have had some success swapping the cables side to side. Since the Ranger is under warranty...best to take it back to the dealer for their assessment as in your case this is quite excessive. Dealer should order two new cables for you in my opinion. Why this was not caught at the final line inspection at the plant is baffling.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
hoping consumer reports doesn't find out about this as it may serve to sink the Rangers owners reported problems score to the level of the Chevy Colorado :crazy:

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
" At a minimum these trucks should have been flagged for repairs at the dealership before putting them out for purchase by the general pubic."

Dealers got a bit arrogant due to the low inventory recently.

I just noticed I only have four tie downs in the bed, with empty holes for another two. Had to double check that it's supposed to have six?!? Years later people will be avoiding the "COVID Cars" lol.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
" At a minimum these trucks should have been flagged for repairs at the dealership before putting them out for purchase by the general pubic."

Dealers got a bit arrogant due to the low inventory recently.

I just noticed I only have four tie downs in the bed, with empty holes for another two. Had to double check that it's supposed to have six?!? Years later people will be avoiding the "COVID Cars" lol.
2019 Ranger Brochure said "(6) Tie Downs"
2020 Ranger Brochure said "Tie Downs"

But as @VAMike likes to remind everybody, there's a disclaimer in the brochure basically saying all the data in the brochure is subject to change.

Regardless, it's cheapskate move on Ford's part.

And to add insult to injury, if you want to buy the tie downs from the parts department... in 2019 the tie down brackets were $12.98 each. Now they are about $30 each!
Sponsored