Old and new Bronco

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
My fiancée is coming up on her lease ending soon. Wouldn’t mind if she ended up with a sport but she likes the escape more. Maybe if she gets the escape I can also get a bronco 2dr with sas? Probably not but I can dream.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah, based on the size of the "baby" Bronco, I'm starting to become concerned with how big the full-size one will be/is. Maybe concerned isn't the right word... disappointed may be a better term. And at this point, with all my personal disappointments surrounding the Bronco, I can't help but feel like maybe I either misunderstood, misinterpreted, and/or got caught up in the hype as to what the Bronco was going/meant to be. But that doesn't matter. More than enough people like it the way it is based on the order backlog, and I was never going to get one anyways, so who am I to complain or be disappointed.
What are you disappointed in? I think Ford did a good job of making it look at retro as possible and still making it big enough for every day use. I think once you see them you'll get a better feel for it's size. For me the 2dr is perfect but to be honest getting into the back seat is a real PITA and there really isn't much cargo space with the back 2 seats up. The 4dr obviously has much more room but for me it's way to big for my needs. A few taller guys on the Bronco site who are 6'3" said they have plenty of room and it was comfortable and didn't feel cramped at all. I guess now a days where everyone wants "big" this fits the bill without being to over the top.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
What are you disappointed in? I think Ford did a good job of making it look at retro as possible and still making it big enough for every day use. I think once you see them you'll get a better feel for it's size. For me the 2dr is perfect but to be honest getting into the back seat is a real PITA and there really isn't much cargo space with the back 2 seats up.
Sounds just like our 2007 2 door Wrangler. Back seat was useless. Since it's just the 2 of us I took out the rear seat and installed a plastic construction box I got from Home Depot. I cut it in half, vertically and lowered it. It's secure lockable storage. With a soft top... having secure storage is pretty awesome.

DSCF6111 Jeep parked at the Pass.JPG

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sounds just like our 2007 2 door Wrangler. Back seat was useless. Since it's just the 2 of us I took out the rear seat and installed a plastic construction box I got from Home Depot. I cut it in half, vertically and lowered it. It's secure lockable storage.

There was a good amount of room in the back seat once you got in. It was just getting in and squeezing between the seat and the B pillar was tight. Nice looking Wrangler, do you still have it?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
There was a good amount of room in the back seat once you got in. It was just getting in and squeezing between the seat and the B pillar was tight. Nice looking Wrangler, do you still have it?
Yes... it's my wife's daily driver and our "adventure" vehicle.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
This is the Badlands model and the tires are 33's which are stock with optional beadlock capable wheels. The roof racks and winch and tube doors are all Ford accessories, I think there's around 200 in the catalog. There are 7 different models so you can build pretty much anything you want from a daily driver to a bad ass off roader.
They’re offering six Bronco and four Bronco Sport models in Canada - the First Edition models are not available. Otherwise, we‘ll have the same line-up here. Can’t wait.

Sometimes, auto makers in Canada will have a uniquely Canadian sub-model name - like Great White North - you know, with a built-in beer cooler and handy slide-out donut tray - that kind of thing. I guess we’re stuck with Big Bend and Outer Banks.

I’m torn - help me out 5gers - should I order a Big Bend for the state-legislated rear window gun rack or go for the Outer Banks with the two extra sweet tea cup holders and built-in tailgate BBQ?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Sounds just like our 2007 2 door Wrangler. Back seat was useless. Since it's just the 2 of us I took out the rear seat and installed a plastic construction box I got from Home Depot. I cut it in half, vertically and lowered it. It's secure lockable storage. With a soft top... having secure storage is pretty awesome.

Storage is pretty much non-existent in any 2 door Wrangler.

With the back seat in place you have room for a lunchbox and a sleeping bag, provided the sleeping bag isn't too fluffy.

With an actual usable trunk, my Mazda Miata with the folding hardtop had lots more storage than my Wrangler.

But for a day of fun driving vehicle, the Wrangler is hard to beat.

At least until the Bronco is prowling the roads :sunglasses:

Edit: For those concerned about the new Bronco size, here is a comparison pic of my full size Bronco and a 4 door Wrangler, and nobody really complains about the size of the 4 door Wrangler. It was significantly longer and the Bronco had a MUCH tighter turning circle
2 door Wrangler = ~34ft
Full size Bronco =~ 36 ft
4 door Wrangler = ~40ft

Bronco turns tighter than my Ranger or my 2004 Grand Cherokee

20170328_125347.jpg

So not concerned about the new Bronco size at all.

Right now my Bronco is getting the engine rebuilt (all I have left to do is the heads).

It's a hoot on nice days.

20160522_154432.jpg

Last edited:

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I was editor of Bronco Driver Magazine for a couple of years and have been anticipating the new Bronco for at least 15 years. Ford has lost millions by waiting this long but I’ve never seen such excitement and anticipation for a new vehicle.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I was editor of Bronco Driver Magazine for a couple of years and have been anticipating the new Bronco for at least 15 years. Ford has lost millions by waiting this long but I’ve never seen such excitement and anticipation for a new vehicle.
I agree. With the teaser popping up at the Detroit Auto Show in 2004 Ford really drug their feet getting the Bronco back on the road. Missteps, and this damn new flu threw a big monkey wrench into the equation. Like Dave @AzScorpion I reserved my slot in October 2020. We both thought that a later reservation would put us out to the middle of '22 before ours were built. But even at this late date stupid little problems keep bubbling up, and now we both may be looking at the fall of '22. Possibly when the great white snow monster arrives in Iowa. We both reserved at Granger Ford in Iowa. As if actually getting our Bronco's built isn't hard enough we threw in reserving ours at a dealer so far away from our homes. :)

BTW, if Dave sees this he's gonna blame me for spending all of his money. I plea the 5th. :bandit:

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I agree. With the teaser popping up at the Detroit Auto Show in 2004 Ford really drug their feet getting the Bronco back on the road. Missteps, and this damn new flu threw a big monkey wrench into the equation. Like Dave @AzScorpion I reserved my slot in October 2020. We both thought that a later reservation would put us out to the middle of '22 before ours were built. But even at this late date stupid little problems keep bubbling up, and now we both may be looking at the fall of '22. Possibly when the great white snow monster arrives in Iowa. We both reserved at Granger Ford in Iowa. As if actually getting our Bronco's built isn't bad enough we threw in reserving ours at a dealer so far away from our homes. :)

BTW, if Dave sees this he's gonna blame me for spending all of his money. I plea the 5th. :bandit:
Jim, I don't blame you for spend all of it, just another $9K of it. The old "You work hard you deserve it" line worked! ? But in all fairness the Badlands was always what I wanted and what I reserved. Also those KOH videos didn't help any seeing the 360 camera and the 12" screen. The Base SAS is still. there in the running but fading quickly.

What really helps is my Ranger will have been completely written off for business by next summer and my accountant already said he can take that off the books and add the Bronco.:like: I'm just glad I really cant find any value in the Lux package. Besides the upgraded B&O stereo there's nothing there for me that justifies another $2,400.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Not sure how many but I'm sure they've turned a few off with their shenanigans as well. My week one reservation was canceled in December due to all their bullshit.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Not sure how many but I'm sure they've turned a few off with their shenanigans as well. My week one reservation was canceled in December due to all their bullshit.
Doug, I'm as unhappy as the next guy about all the delays but I'd rather have them get it right then rush out an inferior product. I mean it's been 25 years since they cancelled the Bronco what's another year to fine tune everything. Covid is used as a scapegoat in a lot of cases lately but here I think it's justifiable. The parts chain is huge and it's affected everyone down the line. Could they have done certain things better, heck yes! But seeing the videos and hearing the professional race drivers like LeDuc say how impressed he is with way it handles and all the features tells me they hit a home run with this. Job 1 starts tomorrow. :rockon:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Doug, I'm as unhappy as the next guy about all the delays but I'd rather have them get it right then rush out an inferior product. I mean it's been 25 years since they cancelled the Bronco what's another year to fine tune everything. Covid is used as a scapegoat in a lot of cases lately but here I think it's justifiable. The parts chain is huge and it's affected everyone down the line. Could they have done certain things better, heck yes! But seeing the videos and hearing the professional race drivers like LeDuc say how impressed he is with way it handles and all the features tells me they hit a home run with this. Job 1 starts tomorrow. :rockon:
For sure. The delays might be justifiable, but the whole thing soured me on first year models.

I've never bought the first year of anything. I was super stoked thinking everything was proven, except the 7spd I wasn't interested in, I was all in @ release time.

My biggest issue is the lies. You can't tell me that last summer they honestly thought the timeline laid out would work. It changed so quick over the next 3 months that they had to have had an idea it wasn't possible.

I honestly think the Covid , or whatever, delays/problems are going to continue. For example, if job one starts tomorrow how were the plant guys trained? With a PowerPoint they watched at home?

Add in automotive chip delays that (microprocessor) industry folks say could last well into next year and I fear you'll have more delays.

I'll still be in the market for one soon. But I'm gonna let this cloud blow over first.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
For sure. The delays might be justifiable, but the whole thing soured me on first year models.

I've never bought the first year of anything. I was super stoked thinking everything was proven, except the 7spd I wasn't interested in, I was all in @ release time.

My biggest issue is the lies. You can't tell me that last summer they honestly thought the timeline laid out would work. It changed so quick over the next 3 months that they had to have had an idea it wasn't possible.

I honestly think the Covid , or whatever, delays/problems are going to continue. For example, if job one starts tomorrow how were the plant guys trained? With a PowerPoint they watched at home?

Add in automotive chip delays that (microprocessor) industry folks say could last well into next year and I fear you'll have more delays.

I'll still be in the market for one soon. But I'm gonna let this cloud blow over first.
I never wanted a '21 and have been burned by first year runs in the past. I would just like to get it before late fall because our game plan is to pick it up in IA and make a long trip out of it though SD,MT,WY, and CO. But the backup plan will be head southeast to FL and work our way back.

I'm sure they had an idea about the delays but there's been so much talk about the Bronco coming back I think they had to at least roll it out and get the ball rolling. Doesn't make it right but I guess from a marketing standpoint they figured most will wait it out which looks to be true. 190,000 reservations and 135,000 converted to orders isn't bad at all.

From what I've been reading on the Bronco forum tomorrow starts the dealers mannequins and then Bronco's for companies to test like Car and Driver etc... IIRC some priority builds will start the first week of June ramping up every month until they hit full production in August. The chip delay is going to show another wrench into it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I never wanted a '21 and have been burned by first year runs in the past. I would just like to get it before late fall because our game plan is to pick it up in IA and make a long trip out of it though SD,MT,WY, and CO. But the backup plan will be head southeast to FL and work our way back.

I'm sure they had an idea about the delays but there's been so much talk about the Bronco coming back I think they had to at least roll it out and get the ball rolling. Doesn't make it right but I guess from a marketing standpoint they figured most will wait it out which looks to be true. 190,000 reservations and 135,000 converted to orders isn't bad at all.

From what I've been reading on the Bronco forum tomorrow starts the dealers mannequins and then Bronco's for companies to test like Car and Driver etc... IIRC some priority builds will start the first week of June ramping up every month until they hit full production in August. The chip delay is going to show another wrench into it.
Yeah, I think you later res holders are going to be in a good spot. There will be enough roll through to work the bugs out before yours.

I just didn't have the patience to wait so long for a new ride. Happy I jumped on my Ranger, and by the time I pay it off I can start looking at Broncos.
Sponsored