Oil change

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
I live in a town with alot of roundabout, and learned because of that the tires wear out unevenly. I use Ford's the works package and get the oil changed and tires rotated at the same time, roughly at the 5k mark.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

tonygft12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I get free oil changes for life. I change it when the light tells me to. It has always been one year from when I bought it. This April will be 3 years and 20,000 miles. Oil on the dipstick looks clean. I am not interested in adding voodo science, guess by golly, or cheep insurance bs into my life.
So, why did I even click on this thread? Good question. I guess it is just like watching Maury or slowing down to look at a accident. :lipssealed:
If you don't mind me asking...how much did that lifetime oil change service cost you? If you are doing it when the light comes on, I would assume that's 8-10k miles. One oil change a year doesn't seem worth it as I suspect the price of the programs is in the $1,000-$1,500 range. I could realistically do (30-35) $40 oil changed myself at 5,000 mile intervals. That gets me to 150k-165Kish miles.

This is honestly just curiosity...I am not trying to pick an argument. Please enlighten me if you will!

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Did my first change at 2500 miles. Installed Fumoto drain valve then, refilled with motorcraft synthetic blend, and used motorcraft filter. Next change is planned for 5000 miles, and will switch to Mobil-1 full synthetic and Mobil-1 filter. Will change every 5000 miles thereafter.

One question I had: After my first change, even though I wiped out the oil trough in the frame under the oil filter as well as I could reach it, I still wound up with 2-3 drops of oil on the garage floor the next morning. How does everyone clean out that trough so it does not drip after you are done? Just shoot a little carb cleaner up the channel from the bottom? Or am I missing something obvious?
I reached through same opening to reach the filter, after the filter was changed. Then, I “soused” anywhere Oil May have run. I did the same from the bottom, when replacing the drain plug. Gets easier. I had great anxiety on my first change. It gets easier!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't mind me asking...how much did that lifetime oil change service cost you? If you are doing it when the light comes on, I would assume that's 8-10k miles. One oil change a year doesn't seem worth it as I suspect the price of the programs is in the $1,000-$1,500 range. I could realistically do (30-35) $40 oil changed myself at 5,000 mile intervals. That gets me to 150k-165Kish miles.

This is honestly just curiosity...I am not trying to pick an argument. Please enlighten me if you will!
Lifetime free oil changes given by the dealer that I bought truck from. 3 years 20,000 miles equals 6666 miles average miles per oil change. Cheep insurance. LOL :like:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I guess I'm not sure what specifically you're getting at. But in a general sense, if the "science changes", then the reaction and recommendations will change. That's why food recommendations are all over the place. The larger the sample size and more data you gather the better picture you have of reality. But that's also exactly how we got to where we are today, being able to change oil every 10k miles as opposed to every 3k miles. Because we've progressed and created better engines and better oil and better fluid management, etc.
yup. it's likely that the science will change, but almost certainly it will be in the direction of longer intervals.

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Lifetime free oil changes given by the dealer that I bought truck from. 3 years 20,000 miles equals 6666 miles average miles per oil change. Cheep insurance. LOL :like:
My dealer requires weeks in advance Oil change appointments. Ok when Pass points were used, but too inconvenient. I had a sudden, necessary trip. That’s why I found it was easier, cheaper to do my own. But,I also enjoy it. Whatever a fellow wants, I suppose.
Sponsored