Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah....they are fairly easy to harvest...especially with the dusky assassin edition of the Ruger 10/22 Takedown. 16" Fluted bull barrel, compensator, red dot halo scope :wink:

dusky1.jpg

dusky2.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Well in Sept was hiking with family in the HC wilderness, met a couple who said be careful of the hunter , thought they were joking. So a few miles in stopped on the trail and saw a guy in camo in the woods off the trail - dude was hunting squirrels, had taken 3 and was hoping to bag his limit. He had an air rifle. So hiked to our destination, was returning and saw this guy on the trail proudly showing off his trophies, now skinned to 2 very attractive women and yes he had taken his limit and was headed home to cook them, not sure if they were going to join him for dinner. I'll stick to elk , pheasant, duck, fishin and leave the squirrel hunting to others.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
That was a pretty dramatic fill you had in that catch can. I have never gotten even close to that with my Mazdaspeed. I know the Ecoboosts are bad about fuel dilution in the oil, I have even noticed some in my Ranger and thus change the oil more often, but have been holding out on a catch can in the hopes that more info would be available on its effectiveness in our platform. You see a lot of opinions on their usefulness in the 2.3 Ecoboost.

Questions... Do the contents smell like fuel? Have you tried to ignite it?
Definitely smells like fuel...Iā€™ll try to light it and see what happens.
Iā€™m going to empty again tonight and see where Iā€™m at. Iā€™ve been tracking the mileage better this time.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
IMO...the reason us Texas gentlemen are great shooters is most of us grow up hunting squirrels with an open sight .22
If you can take a squirrel at 50 yards with an open sight you would be considered a marksman in my clan...
They are actually really good if you cook them right....lol
I'm glad I didn't find out they are part of the rodent family until I went to college....lmao

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my clan...
They are actually really good if you cook them right....lol
I'm glad I didn't find out they are part of the rodent family until I went to college....lmao
Might be good use of the catch can contents - marinade for squirrels. The squirrels in the CO forest eat a lot of pine cones which I've heard makes their meat even more unpalatable. The guy I mentioned was showing off his skinned squirrels almost as if he had taken a big bull elk. I don't plan on taking up squirrel hunting anytime soon.

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Love my UPR dual valve set up. By far the best system I've ever had in a vehicle. Build quality is top notch. I replaced my Mishimoto system with the UPR.
20200620_122824.jpg

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love my UPR dual valve set up. By far the best system I've ever had in a vehicle. Build quality is top notch. I replaced my Mishimoto system with the UPR.
20200620_122824.jpg
Question I have - was the mishimoto also a dual valve setup - working on both the pvc and turbo side ? If it wasn't does your upr setup catch more ? I noticed the UPR comes in a single or more expensive dual valve. thanks

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Question I have - was the mishimoto also a dual valve setup - working on both the pvc and turbo side ? If it wasn't does your upr setup catch more ? I noticed the UPR comes in a single or more expensive dual valve. thanks
No the Mishimoto was not dual valve.
The lines, can and valves are very high quality on the UPR and with out a doubt will out perform and outlast the mishimoto.
The mishimoto during the winter was a pain because the can has so much less capacity I had to keep a close eye on it or it would completely fill with condensation and fuel.
You can see that the UPR on the right is catching alot of oil during the summer. While over 10k miles of winter driving the mishimoto on the left was catching alot of moisture and fuel with the little middle layer of oil.
The UPR water bottle on the right only has about 5k miles in it. View attachment 62612

20201121_231744.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I'm so glad you posted about the UPR. I just figured out something about the Mishimoto can this week that I wanted to let everyone know about. My wife daily drives my Ranger (we bought new cars the same week for both of us and I should have bought his and her Rangers)...lol...anyway, I've had some trouble with my hand lately and had trouble breaking the seal on the can to empty it last Thursday. I thought it was probably pretty full (you can smell a strong fuel odor when it fills up) but I was in need of something to help get it off. There is a drain plug at the bottom but I would rather not empty it that way for mess purposes. So the wife calls and tells me on the way home the next evening that she got on it from a stop and it coughed at her a couple of times. I got the can off when she got home and sure enough it was 3/4 full. It seems if the can is full and you get on it and the fuel in the can sloshes and blocks the in/out lines your vaccuum is lost. I'm thinking I will need to empty the can at least weekly, possibly 2 times a week....hmmm UPR maybe?

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm so glad you posted about the UPR. I just figured out something about the Mishimoto can this week that I wanted to let everyone know about. My wife daily drives my Ranger (we bought new cars the same week for both of us and I should have bought his and her Rangers)...lol...anyway, I've had some trouble with my hand lately and had trouble breaking the seal on the can to empty it last Thursday. I thought it was probably pretty full (you can smell a strong fuel odor when it fills up) but I was in need of something to help get it off. There is a drain plug at the bottom but I would rather not empty it that way for mess purposes. So the wife calls and tells me on the way home the next evening that she got on it from a stop and it coughed at her a couple of times. I got the can off when she got home and sure enough it was 3/4 full. It seems if the can is full and you get on it and the fuel in the can sloshes and blocks the in/out lines your vaccuum is lost. I'm thinking I will need to empty the can at least weekly, possibly 2 times a week....hmmm UPR maybe?
During the cold these cans fill up QUICK. I was emptying my mishimoto every 1-2k in the winter.
I just emptied my UPR for the first time in a month (its cooled off) and sure enough look at all that water.
I installed the drain line that comes with the UPR if you option it. You can see the 90ā° elbow in my catch can picture coming out of the bottom. I ran the drain to the wheel well so it's quick and easy if the wheel is turned all the way to the left.
20201122_164652.jpg

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Here is Mishimoto (left) with 10k miles of mostly winter and UPR (right) with 7k miles of mostly summer. I just filled the UPR bottle, so it hasn't had time to separate like the Mishimoto sample.
1606086119348407207055362247418.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Definitely smells like fuel...Iā€™ll try to light it and see what happens.
Iā€™m going to empty again tonight and see where Iā€™m at. Iā€™ve been tracking the mileage better this time.
So if it is indeed fuel, and it had run back into the intake (without a catch can) it would help to clean the gunk off the valves....

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Its a mixt
So if it is indeed fuel, and it had run back into the intake (without a catch can) it would help to clean the gunk off the valves....
Its a mixture of fuel, water and oil. When we think of fuel cleaning intake valves we think of port injection, which this mixture oozing its way though your intake manifold and sitting on the valves is nothing close in comparison.
Even on port injected vehicles I ran catch cans for the benefits of keeping the oil out of the combustion process and to keep it from pooling in the intake manifold.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Based on what I just emptied out of my newly installed Mishimoto catch can...better get one on quick! Nasty stuff going back to your ecobeast...
Check it out

FA9E58E4-F55A-45B1-B663-AF1404F1C4E8.jpeg

D5CE1EFD-D33C-4587-9C34-9AF75C93EF94.jpeg
I have very similar results. Near as I can tell it is a water, fuel, and oil mixture. My Blackstone test came back fine so I am not going to fret over it. Truck runs fine.
Sponsored