PandaMotorworks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2017 Titan 2008 Ford Focus 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
Update:

Parts will be here end of the week and hope to have a mock up beginning of next week to show you all!

Thank you

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Dosen't the Ranger already have one built in. From the service manual.
upload_2019-5-11_11-47-6.png
I was going to ask the same question. It looks like it has one, or something to achieve the same result.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Dosen't the Ranger already have one built in. From the service manual.
upload_2019-5-11_11-47-6.png
Here is an article that describes TWO PCV systems in todays turbo-charged engines and it discusses the vent oil separator shown as #2 in the diagram (the vent oil separator works only when there is a vacuum in the manifold....it closes shut during boost). The lone hose in the upper left is part of the PCV system that works under boost and this path is where a catch can would go (the valve cover itself has a 'built in' separator). The article also discusses the use of catch cans and from what I read I won't be installing one (I've got a lead foot to keep things clean :) ).

Last edited:

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Just installed the JLT oil separator. Pretty basic install, and everything seems really well thought out. Getting that fitting on/off at the back of the intake manifold was an absolute chore though, and I don’t even have that big of hands.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Here is an article that describes TWO PCV systems in todays turbo-charged engines and it discusses the vent oil separator shown as #2 in the diagram (the vent oil separator works only when there is a vacuum in the manifold....it closes shut during boost). The lone hose in the upper left is part of the PCV system that works under boost and this path is where a catch can would go (the valve cover itself has a 'built in' separator). The article also discusses the use of catch cans and from what I read I won't be installing one (then again I was teen in the muscle car era and my foot is heavier than lead - still :sunglasses: ).
Thanks for posting that article. I liked that it wasn't written by someone wanting to sell something to you. One thing I'd never seen before is a caveat about the secondary catch can was that if it froze (in the winter, since it is mostly water) it could block your PCV system. They also said they hadn't seen them make a difference in how much oil gets into the engine. They still let some thru, just like the OEM system.

Those two things made up my mind - I'm not doing a catch can. Time will tell if that is a smart decision or not.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for posting that article. I liked that it wasn't written by someone wanting to sell something to you. One thing I'd never seen before is a caveat about the secondary catch can was that if it froze (in the winter, since it is mostly water) it could block your PCV system. They also said they hadn't seen them make a difference in how much oil gets into the engine. They still let some thru, just like the OEM system.

Those two things made up my mind - I'm not doing a catch can. Time will tell if that is a smart decision or not.
Just get on it every now and then and use good oil. I'm not worried.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Just get on it every now and then and use good oil. I'm not worried.
No problem on either account... :) I ALWAYS use good oil (and filters) and I have to keep myself from putting my foot in it - it isn't quite as much fun a spooling up a supercharger (love that whine), but it certainly is a blast to feel the turbos kick in!!!!

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
in my experience the catch can is most beneficial is in cold weather & not running the engine long enough to get things hot. i had a 15 mustang with a catch can & in the winter i would dump about 3-4 oz nasty milky grey water/oil mix.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Dual injection is slowly being phased in to meet future emission requirements. Adding port injection is not only for cleaning the intake valves but for reducing particulate emissions. Otherwise particulate filters will be required on GDI engines just like diesels.
In the turbo VW MK7 world the USA car is direct injection.
European cars are direct and port. Port keep valves clean.
Side benefit is port adds nice exhaust sounds and can make more HP for same engine
But recently I heard that Europe is going to direct only for emissions.
This would go against the trend you mention. I would think direct injection only would be more economical.
Just for info

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Tangent but germane.... how about CRC every 20,000 miles or so?
Still kinda scary... Pros & Cons??
upload_2019-4-4_12-26-1.jpeg
Maybe this deserves its own thread, but since it was mentioned, I've been wondering about this as well. I think the risks are real if you wait 50,000 or 60,000 miles until deposits are significant enough to cause symptoms. By that time, I can believe there is the chance of large enough pieces of carbonized deposits breaking off to possibly damage the turbine or catalyst. But what about frequent use beginning when the truck is new? maybe every 20,000 mi., or maybe even every 10,000 or less? There must be some usage interval at which the deposits that are cleaned off won't contain large enough pieces to cause damage, right? I don't have much of a guess about where that point is, though.

Last edited:

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Magnetic Gray / 2020 Explorer Limited RWD Magnetic Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Based on what I have read, and balancing the pro's and con's of adding a catch can system to these engines, I'm a hard NO for now and will wait an see what issues myself and others report down the road. The 2.3L has been out for a number of years in the mustang and I'm not convinced that there is enough of an outcry of reported intake valve deposit issues that warrant adding one. My 2 cents, but you do you.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
There are many different oil separating devices with widely varying designs, and it's difficult to find any kind of controlled comparisons between them. At best, there are some garage-shop comparisons of two or three different brands. After searching around, I found a study published by an Australian university which did controlled comparisons between different types of devices along different performance scales (pressure drop, efficiency, etc.). The paper needs to be downloaded from SAE's website, so it's not allowed to post it elsewhere, but it's available for download free of charge (free registration required):

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/03-12-01-0001/

The bottom line is that they divided up the oil separating devices into catch-can types and filter type devices, with the filter type being considerably more efficient at removing oil from the crankcase gasses. One unit that rates highly in their pressure drop and efficiency tests is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Hummel-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4ZRRP61CT3H58N5PC93E

This is one of the filter type units, whereas at least here in the US, the catch-can type ones seem much more common. Technically, this unit is designed for diesel engines, though in the the user reviews, people seem to be using it successfully in gasoline engines.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of separator?
Sponsored