Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Yep, you're right, sorry I was wrong on that progression. Still, not having fuel washing the intake valves does cause them to coke over time, and the Ranger will have that issue with the Direct Injection. Whether or not to address it with a catch can is up to each owner, as they are a pain to deal with.
Look at reality for a moment, This problem is clearly not as big of an issue as some seem to think.
More than 90% of EcoBoost owners have never even heard of a catchcan, yet the vast majority are very pleased with the performance and reliability of EcoBoost.
Maybe 2% of that residual 10% have installed catchcans.
While they may be beneficial or at least harmless, the jury is still out on their necessity or effectiveness.
Good advice is emblazoned across the cover of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"...
"DON'T PANIC"
Sponsored

PandaMotorworks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2017 Titan 2008 Ford Focus 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
We never sell anything in a state of panic or it is 100% needed unless we have proof to back it up.

Are catch cans 100% needed? Absolutely not!

But what I can tell you is our stock PCV check valve leaks and that causes more blow by and more contamination. So replacing with a upgraded baffle plate and valve is a very good step. Then to the can, crank case is not needed at all unless you are built motor wanting to push some power. For the PCV side its not needed but there are many good claims that show you they work and they can keep your valves cleaner and your oil healthier. Does not having one reduce health? not really but some just want to have a peace of mind by adding them and for future build plans.

I am not trying to start a debate but just trying to play the middle man and show both sides

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
We never sell anything in a state of panic or it is 100% needed unless we have proof to back it up.

But what I can tell you is our stock PCV check valve leaks and that causes more blow by and more contamination. So replacing with a upgraded baffle plate and valve is a very good step. Then to the can, crank case is not needed at all unless you are built motor wanting to push some power. For the PCV side its not needed but there are many good claims that show you they work and they can keep your valves cleaner and your oil healthier. Does not having one reduce health? not really but some just want to have a peace of mind by adding them and for future build plans.

I am not trying to start a debate but just trying to play the middle man and show both sides
Your experience and advice seem reasonable and certainly worth consideration toward a final decision. :like:

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue

So, basically, you are talking about this: http://www.radiumauto.com/PCV-Baffle-Plate-Ford-EcoBoost-Duratec-Mazda-MZR-P1162.aspx#moreItemsPane

DSC_1957.JPG
prod_pic-1-3.jpg

I wouldn't have a problem spending money on this in conjunction with 5k oil changes.

PandaMotorworks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase

Soooo, you’re saying I might be able to address the intake valve deposit issue by adding this baffle plate and a better check valve? Rather than the other method of leaving the OEM baffle & check valve in place, then addressing the residual oil issue by installing an oil catch can?

If I understood you correctly, those are both rhetorical questions. I just want to make sure I’m following the logic. As someone else said, I would rather go this route and increase my oil change interval to address the fuel diluted oil (that normally would have escaped through the PCV and then baked onto my intake valves).

PandaMotorworks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soooo, you’re saying I might be able to address the intake valve deposit issue by adding this baffle plate and a better check valve? Rather than the other method of leaving the OEM baffle & check valve in place, then addressing the residual oil issue by installing an oil catch can?

If I understood you correctly, those are both rhetorical questions. I just want to make sure I’m following the logic. As someone else said, I would rather go this route and increase my oil change interval to address the fuel diluted oil (that normally would have escaped through the PCV and then baked onto my intake valves).

Yes that is correct. PCV has fuel and oil going through it so it can do both!

Thank you!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Stoking the flame. bump!

I found that interesting - the video showed VW DI engines, and had some science behind it.

Thanks for posting it. Still on the fence about a catch can, but I'm leaning more towards it after seeing this video.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The EPA is the problem. Or all of those people crammed in to LA that created smog. In the good old days when pressure in a engine caused mostly by blow-by the rings it was just vented outside. So some body said lets suck it back into the engine and burn it, hence the PCV valve. If the oil that is sucked out of the crankcase in direct inject engines is creating deposits on the intake valves then engine engineers need to redo the PCV system. The catch can system is a catch all for the real problem the PCV system. I suspect that the turbo is causing more blow-by. So, if you are a hot rodder and always working that turbo then you may have a problem. Get a catch all and empty it on a dusty road, LOL

PandaMotorworks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what is the "catch can of choice" that everyone is installing on the Ranger? Does one stand out better than the others??

The moment we are moved into our new facility we are going to he using a radium can and making a mount for it! We find their cans are the best in other EcoBoost platforms we support as well!

We will keep you all updated!

Ranger's My Middle Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F350
The moment we are moved into our new facility we are going to he using a radium can and making a mount for it! We find their cans are the best in other EcoBoost platforms we support as well!

We will keep you all updated!
Sounds good. Please keep us updated!
Sponsored