HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
“Link: 2.3L MUSTANG ECOBOOST OIL-AIR SEPARATOR LH

And this is stated
WARNING:
This part is designed and intended for competition use only. It should not be installed on a vehicle that is driven on public roads and highways. Installation of this part on a vehicle driven on public roads and highways is likely to violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations relating to motor vehicle emissions.”

I understand why this might dissuade some from installing the Ford system, but I don’t see how they can point to this for a warrantee denial. It is designed by Ford engineers to keep the blow-by crud out of the intake system! I personally do all my own maintenance and if I were to suspect that there could be an issue in bringing the truck in for a warrantee item, I would simply un-plug it and re-connect the original lines.
I am anxiously awaiting its arrival for sale on the Ford Performance site for my ordered Ranger that is due in at my dealer tomorrow.
Sponsored

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
“Link: 2.3L MUSTANG ECOBOOST OIL-AIR SEPARATOR LH

And this is stated
WARNING:
This part is designed and intended for competition use only. It should not be installed on a vehicle that is driven on public roads and highways. Installation of this part on a vehicle driven on public roads and highways is likely to violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations relating to motor vehicle emissions.”

I understand why this might dissuade some from installing the Ford system, but I don’t see how they can point to this for a warrantee denial. It is designed by Ford engineers to keep the blow-by crud out of the intake system! I personally do all my own maintenance and if I were to suspect that there could be an issue in bringing the truck in for a warrantee item, I would simply un-plug it and re-connect the original lines.
I am anxiously awaiting its arrival for sale on the Ford Performance site for my ordered Ranger that is due in at my dealer tomorrow.
“Competition use only” ?
Costs a lot of money & red tape to get it CARB certified. They obviously know the DI design creates valve carbon build-up.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
“To be clear, the reason Ford is selling this product is because they think enough people will buy it that Ford can make a profit.”

We are all welcome to our own opinions. I for one feel that there are numerous ways for Ford to make profits without expending as much effort in design and testing as has been done on this dual system (PCV/CCV).

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
CF38D160-BAA3-48BC-AF29-F238DD7EE24D.jpeg

don’t know why it shows up upside down, either way here’s another update:
So the valve idea is a double edged sword. Mine seized shut on me when I tried to clean it this time. My dumbass forgot to lube up the o-ring. A mistake I won’t make again. Anyways this required me to removed the can itself and when I checked the actual baffle, wow it was caked in carbon and brown petrol mixture. So I cleaned the crap out of that. Followed by the ritual of dumping out the contents of the can.

alright so reason I called it a double edged sword. I now see the simplicity of the valve. Would have made a 20 min job into a 5. On the other side, I’m glad I looked at the baffles, as I said they were caked. Anyways take it as you will. I’ll continue updating as time goes on so those on the fence know what to expect.

Reactions: Doc

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
LoL... just Say no to catch cans...
Regards
Eh definitely a worth it in my books. Seeing all the carbon deposits and the fluid mixture that it catches, it’s worth it. 1000 easier to clean the can then to clean the valves. I’m actually thinking about installing a valve and feeding it into a bigger container underneath the catch can. I’d like to go clear so I can see what’s in it.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Just ordered my Mishimoto can today. Seeing as I don't have an awesome lift to put the truck in the air it still takes 1.5 hours to install the thing lol

I kept my last truck for 200+ K and I plan on doing the same with this little gem. :)

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I'm new here, and just bought my Ranger on Saturday and was looking at various mods and this one caught my eye. Having owned a car with a DI engine that is notorious for the intake valves getting caked up with deposits. (2008 VW GTI) I can say that in most cases the addition of a catch can is not necessarily a requirement. I put 150K miles on the GTI with a 148K of those having an APR stage II tune on it. As a part of regular preventative maintenance I would perform a SeaFoam treatment on the intake valves every 20K miles. Using a garden sprayer, a fine mist of SeaFoam in 5 second pulses would be injected into the intake. Once 2/3 of the can was run through, a heavy shot to use up the remaining was sprayed in and the engine shut off and left to sit for about 15 min. After that it would be started let idle for about 5 min then taken out and a couple hard runs done on it.

At 120K miles I ran a bore scope down to the valves and was surprised to see there was very minimal buildup on the valves. So as long as you do some regular maintenance like this, valve deposits on a DI engine should not be a major issue.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Seems like much more work over 150k miles vs emptying a can every other oil change. Viable solution for sure but I've reached an age where if I can spend a couple bucks more for an "easy button" and avoid another maintenance item - it's money well spent.
Really did't take much to do it. On the front of that particular engine they placed an temp sensor that was very easy to get to., Didn't even have to pull the engine cover off to get to it. Once out start the engine and stick the sprayer wand in the open hole and start spraying. The whole process took about 10 min to apply the cleaner. I have not looked at the setup for the 2.3L so I cannot say if there's a way to do it as easily as that. Installing a catch can or not, if you have a method that works for you is easy to do then there's no need to go off and change it. I mentioned this as for some who don't want to add a catch can, that something like this may be a viable alternative.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I mentioned this as for some who don't want to add a catch can, that something like this may be a viable alternative.
Which is why I deleted my post.

Considering this is a turbo, without a CCV side catch can - your method may still be warranted even with a PCV side catch can.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I'm new here, and just bought my Ranger on Saturday and was looking at various mods and this one caught my eye. Having owned a car with a DI engine that is notorious for the intake valves getting caked up with deposits. (2008 VW GTI) I can say that in most cases the addition of a catch can is not necessarily a requirement. I put 150K miles on the GTI with a 148K of those having an APR stage II tune on it. As a part of regular preventative maintenance I would perform a SeaFoam treatment on the intake valves every 20K miles. Using a garden sprayer, a fine mist of SeaFoam in 5 second pulses would be injected into the intake. Once 2/3 of the can was run through, a heavy shot to use up the remaining was sprayed in and the engine shut off and left to sit for about 15 min. After that it would be started let idle for about 5 min then taken out and a couple hard runs done on it.

At 120K miles I ran a bore scope down to the valves and was surprised to see there was very minimal buildup on the valves. So as long as you do some regular maintenance like this, valve deposits on a DI engine should not be a major issue.
if and when you get your seafoam process down can you take a video or do a write up? thanks for your efforts and time!!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
if and when you get your seafoam process down can you take a video or do a write up? thanks for your efforts and time!!
Sure thing. I'll probably get in there and poke around in the next weekend or two and see what/where would be the most optimal location to access the intake plenum for cleaning.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Eh definitely a worth it in my books. Seeing all the carbon deposits and the fluid mixture that it catches, it’s worth it. 1000 easier to clean the can then to clean the valves. I’m actually thinking about installing a valve and feeding it into a bigger container underneath the catch can. I’d like to go clear so I can see what’s in it.
And where would the carbon deposit come from?

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
Sure thing. I'll probably get in there and poke around in the next weekend or two and see what/where would be the most optimal location to access the intake plenum for cleaning.
Agree this would be appreciated
Sponsored