Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil, thanks for your feedback. I simply noted my spare tire size match the other four tires. My only concern was the tire size, not the rim type. Other Ranger owners on this forum reported their spare tire was a different size. Why they vary is unclear, however as a spare, a minor difference isn't an issue. It's good to have a Ranger engineer helping owners on the forum, retired or otherwise, thank you!
Hi MR,

I understand...it is just that the difference is minimal within the duty cycle of this spare tire...speeds are limited to ensure that front or rear axle differentials are not damaged by this tire difference at the speeds indicated on the tire. Miss-matched tires cause the diff to work much harder than if just working when you corner left or right... Beats having to remove the driveshaft like I would have to do on my motor home if I had to be towed...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Hi Phil, thanks for your feedback. I simply noted my spare tire size match the other four tires. My only concern was the tire size, not the rim type. Other Ranger owners on this forum reported their spare tire was a different size. Why they vary is unclear, however as a spare, a minor difference isn't an issue. It's good to have a Ranger engineer helping owners on the forum, retired or otherwise, thank you!
Your spare tire is the same size as the other four tires.

Wonder why the spare has "MAX 50 MPH" ?

Is that a limitation of the steel wheel ?

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
The FX-4 optioned trucks come with 265/65R17 spare tires on 17” black steel wheels. I used my Ford Pass points to buy the 17” FX-4 spare wheel to replace my 16” spare. The 16” spare tire is a Temporary 50 MPH Limit tire.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Both my RWD and FX4 have spare tires that match the make and model of the road wheel/tire combos, but in different sizes.

The RWD has a 16" steel for the spare, the FX4 17".

Easy answer was to get matching 18" rims and true matching tires.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I want a full size matching spare myself. But no one will sell me a single take-off 18 inch rim/tire.

Goose208

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FX4 Ranger
Occupation
Law Enforcement
My spare tire is the same Hankook as the mounted ones. Will a factory wheel mount in the spare tire spot?

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
eBay. I just found a 17” OEM rim for my matching spare tire project.

8F35C98E-4F6F-4DB0-8F67-11D648022121.png

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
All mounted up and under the truck. 17" factory rim with Nitto Ridge Grappler 255/80R17 tire. Factory spare compared to new spare in first pic.
I think a 34" tire might fit under there considering the Nitto is a hair over 33". No way a 35" fits I don't think.

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Your spare tire is the same size as the other four tires.

Wonder why the spare has "MAX 50 MPH" ?

Is that a limitation of the steel wheel ?
I suspect that this is due to that tire's footprint changes your handling and potentially your steering dynamics due to it being essentially new tread being thrown in with more worn tires. For safety reasons, Ford is thus suggesting you don't exceed 50MPH and have it changed as soon as practically possible. It doesn't mean the tire is crap, nor the wheel it's mounted to. Just that the geometry will be different and could be drastically different depending on how worn your other three tires are.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I suspect that this is due to that tire's footprint changes your handling and potentially your steering dynamics due to it being essentially new tread being thrown in with more worn tires. For safety reasons, Ford is thus suggesting you don't exceed 50MPH and have it changed as soon as practically possible. It doesn't mean the tire is crap, nor the wheel it's mounted to. Just that the geometry will be different and could be drastically different depending on how worn your other three tires are.
I was just wondering about this. I had a guess as to no TPMS mounted in the spare being the reason??

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same idea this past week HC. I wanted cheap and reliable and since I stepped up to taller tires last month, it bugged me about the spare and thinking about being on a trail or zipping down the interstate.
Keeping the 16" steel I matched up the same diameter and brand of tire for less than 140 and piece of mind.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
Not mine, its a 17" aluminum temp spare rim with a Hankook Ht on it. My rims at 18" with Hankook AT M,s

spare.jpg
That’s a 16” aluminum.
255/70 16

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
My truck came with steel wheels all around but the spare is some weird black aluminum thing. It seems to be a regular tire but it’s marked 50mph max.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
My truck came with steel wheels all around but the spare is some weird black aluminum thing. It seems to be a regular tire but it’s marked 50mph max.
It's a spare tire not a regular tire.
Sponsored