New buyer FX4 question

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
What's even more disturbing is how many customers have these dealers lost because someone came to test drive a vehicle...only to leave and get a different brand because they didn't like the way it drove?

Sure the dealers are doing a disservice to their customers, but worse, they are doing a disservice to themselves and the brand.
It takes 5 minutes to go around a vehicle and drop the psi to the recommended pressure.
During test drives, I told salesmen at three different dealers the same thing. Once I even requested that correct PSI be set prior to the test drive - fail again.

Dealers just don't seem to care.
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Lots of responses from folks who like the stock FX4 ride. I'll chime in that I found it too bouncy/wallowy. Swapped front and rear with Eibach stuff and the ride is much improved. The truck feels more planted, corners better, and does not bounce / rock side to side when I pull into my driveway anymore. The FX4 ride was not uncomfortable, I just didn't feel as "in control" as I wanted.

As for the color: I *LOVE* the blue on my '19. I'd avoid the black as clearcoat blemishes are much easier to see. All the other colors are nice.

Oh, and I hope you are ready to take out a second mortgage to deal with the poor financial decisions this forum will cause in your life. ?

Good luck!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm new here and just bought an XTL FX4 last weekend. It was bouncy when I picked it up. I checked the tire pressue and all the tires were at 41 psi.
Specs on the door call out a 30 psi setting with the 17" rims with Hancook tires.
I dropped down to 35 psi for a day...still bouncy. Just dropped down to 32 psi all around and it feels compliant and handlsss well. No more weird bouncing.

Dealers should really check this stuff when they receive their trucks from Ford. I wonder how many other trucks on the lot are pressurized wrong.
When we picked up our SuperCab Ranger (9-14-19), it had 50 psi in the 265/65R17 Hankook tires!

What's posted on the placard is what's correct based on your specific tires and your specific truck. Drop it down to 30 psi unless you're hauling something.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget the front end bash plate I'll probably never use! :LOL:

1606761492592.png
So, living in Canada you don’t anticipate ever having enough snow to bust a drift?

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
So, living in Canada you don’t anticipate ever having enough snow to bust a drift?
Contrary to what some southern citizens or Hawaiians may think all Canadians don't live in igloos and my other form of travel isn't a dog sled. :crackup:

Vancouver get less slow than St. Louis, and if we ever do get any snow it melts the same day. Lol.

Now, if you said some sort of massive puddle where my bash plate could act like a surf board and contribute to hydroplaning your statement would have been much more accurate :crackup:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'm new here and just bought an XTL FX4 last weekend. It was bouncy when I picked it up. I checked the tire pressue and all the tires were at 41 psi.
Specs on the door call out a 30 psi setting with the 17" rims with Hancook tires.
I dropped down to 35 psi for a day...still bouncy. Just dropped down to 32 psi all around and it feels compliant and handlsss well. No more weird bouncing.

Dealers should really check this stuff when they receive their trucks from Ford. I wonder how many other trucks on the lot are pressurized wrong.
I said in a different post that the conventional wisdom of the setup folks is if the tires aren't low they're good to go. The factory deliberately over inflates the tires so that they don't compress when strapped to the rail car or transporter. This dencreases the chance of the straps becoming loose in transit and allowing the vehicle to move fore and aft, potentially bumping into an adjacent vehicle.
VULCAN Autohauler Car Tie Down with J Hooks - Sliding Idler 3-Cleat - 120 Inch, 10 Pack - Clas...jpg

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Contrary to what some southern citizens or Hawaiians may think all Canadians don't live in igloos and my other form of travel isn't a dog sled. :crackup:

Vancouver get less slow than St. Louis, and if we ever do get any snow it melts the same day. Lol.

Now, if you said some sort of massive puddle where my bash plate could act like a surf board and contribute to hydroplaning your statement would have been much more accurate :crackup:

First of all, thank you for answering my question. It was in fact a question and not a statement, hence the punctuation. I was not making any assertions, nor did I intend to. Not all those that live in Hawai’i are Hawaiian. Well, hoping that your roads never get so bad that you’d hit a pond in the middle of the road.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I’m about to pull the trigger on a new Lariat.

I need 4x4 for on road snowy conditions.

Dealers around here rarely get 4x4 that isn’t FX4.

ive read all the “bounce” posts and reviews of FX4 handling. Totally understand it’s easier to change shocks than do the impossible and add Terrain Management after. Also FX4 should help resale as most SoCal drives wanting 4x4 would want off road.

here’s the question:

I can’t test drive an FX4. I’ll need to order one from afar for delivery. I did test drive an XLT rwd with sport package. It was fantastic. Ride wasn’t bouncy or floaty. It was perfect.

how close to this will the FX4 ride be? Or should I be chasing down a non FX4 4x4?

thanks!
I LOVE the way my Fx4 rides. I did add a 3.5" BDS Lift kit w/ Upper Control Arms, 1" shackle lift in rear and BDS Nx2 Rear shocks. It rode FINE w/o the suspension mods but I needed more clearance for bigger tires. It is a little floaty but I rather like that over a harsh pelvis cracking ride.
Sponsored