First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Business Analyst
Went to dinner a couple nights ago and both taillights were stolen. Question is, should I pay a $500 deductible or is this something that I should be able to order and install myself for much cheaper. The wires were cut and I am not that mechanically inclined but if it’s not too difficult and saves money, I would rather go that route. Picture of left below.

F2A1DA54-5BBC-494D-B6BD-79908383BE53.jpeg
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Wow...the clowns didn't even know how to unplug the harness...

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Wow...the clowns didn't even know how to unplug the harness...
All about speed.

Did these assholes do the screwdriver trick to the tailgate, or was it unlocked?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
All about speed.

Did these assholes do the screwdriver trick to the tailgate, or was it unlocked?
Surprised they didn't also take the tailgate...maybe it had a damper that would take too much time to disconnect...

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Surprised they didn't also take the tailgate...maybe it had a damper that would take too much time to disconnect...
No kidding. Big hunk of aluminum to just leave behind. This would stop if salvage yards or whatever they're doing would ask some goddamn questions or take ID or something for high dollar items.

Might throw some sort of security screw on my taillights just to not be the easiest target. I know they can be defeated, but if it slows them down, they'll often move on.

OP
OP
Cowboys22

Cowboys22

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Business Analyst
Good observation. After closer inspection it appears they did try to get the entire tailgate. I did have a damper but the tailgate being locked seems to be the simple reason why they weren’t successful. My damper wasn’t actually necessary in this case. Picture of broken tailgate lock that I originally didn't notice.
47256557-47A9-48EB-98D2-17C4D4B6012C.jpeg

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Good observation. After closer inspection it appears they did try to get the entire tailgate. I did have a damper but the tailgate being locked seems to be the simple reason why they weren’t successful. My damper wasn’t actually necessary in this case. Picture of broken tailgate lock that I originally didn't notice.
47256557-47A9-48EB-98D2-17C4D4B6012C.jpeg
They would have had to open the tailgate to get to the screws holding the tail lights, so it’s likely that they defeated the tailgate lock and got It open. Man, that really sucks. They are not cheap.

2020XLT

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
I recently purchased some torx head screws from Lowes, think I will try installing them tomorrow. Greg, keep an eye out on ebay and craigslist for your stolen taillights, wouldn't be surprised to find them there....

The torx security screws I purchased from Lowes were too long, ordered and received a set of license plate torx security screws from Amazon. I had some small stainless steel fender washers, painted 4 of them gloss black and installed them today with the black caps included. Looks like factory installed. Also saved the original screws....

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I might just take mine out and scribe my VIN into both of them. Then use security torx screws to finish it off.

Sure hope some aftermarket group takes on the tailgate latch as a secondary lock cover that thwarts this kind of entry
Sponsored