Need dad advice: Ranger Regrets?

Alpinist

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I've got a 5 month old, and a 80lb golden retriever. Both fit fine in the back seat. Bed is plenty of space to fit all the associated crap for both on trips to the mountains/beach/etc. I've had an F-150 in the past, and honestly the day-to-day liveability of the Ranger is superior. Parking the F-150 is like docking a cruise ship, and the Ranger gets better mileage.
Sponsored

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Nope, have two little ones and everything fits great in the ranger. I have an expedition as well which obviously affords more room as a family hauler but the ranger does great with two seats in the back. Wife and I are both tall people and with two rear facing seats we’re comfortable. When it comes to gear you will need to put some stuff in the bed for sure but it all fits for us.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
It seems like everyone that actually transports kids in their Rangers likes it. Some people “think” (decree) that it’s uncomfortable because other vehicles are better baby/kid transporters. It seems like your lifestyle requires a truck or similar and the evidence suggests the Ranger would make a good fit.
just out of curiosity- have you posted this same question on a Ram forum? What was their response?

navyguy7224

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat CC Tremor
Occupation
Ford Service Tech
dude, I have 2 kids and plan to have more. I have my Tremor and it fits both my kids and my gear. If I need to transport more then the 4 or maybe 5(eventually) of us, we will take my wifes van. No worries on the truck. just get creative with the car seats.

Last edited:

IcemanSTX

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I have my first kid on the way. I've mentioned before, I have a Tremor on order. Hopefully here in October.

I love the Ranger, wanted one for years.

But, my wife has a small Jeep Renegade. It's staying. I'm worried a Ranger might be too small for a growing family in Alaska where gear and toys and adventures are abundant.

I grew up with a single cab Ford with 4 family members. Daily drove a YJ wrangler for 9 years. So I can handle small. But doesn't mean I want to.

I read through the Ranger as a family car threads, and I know car seats can fit.

But, for the price of my Tremor, I can get a Ram 1500 Warlock quad cab V6. Drives great, I like both trucks. The quad cab gives me a foot extra in the bed, 6 inches wider, few inches of legroom

Does anyone with a Ranger and kids regret not getting a full size truck? Hoping my truck will be my daily driver and family vehicle for at least 15 years.

Would love some guidance from you Ranger lovers on mid-sized vs full-sized trucks in this market.
If I didn't live in the SF Bay area, need the fuel economy and didn't need something smaller for work where I have to frequent narrow fire roads and congested construction sites, I'd be all over a full size pickup. I have three kids and the backseat is small. Car seats have only gotten bigger too. I love the Ranger, but we mostly use my wife's Mazda for family trips. My backseat mostly just sees hard hats and rock picks

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Op -

I was in a similar choice when I bought mine in 2019. Currently, 46k miles in, and nary a regret about choosing mid-size over full-size for a lot of reasons. My kids are 16, 14, and 5 and, though it may be a tight fit for three kids and my wife and I, it can absolutely be done and not necessarily terribly uncomfortable either. Those trips are never very long in mileage or time, but we have my wife's Explorer for those types of trips.

For the most part, however, It's me and only me because it's my truck and I daily drive it.

For you, and because you asked for opinions, I'd say look at the next five years or the end of your loan and make the determination based on that coupled with what you intend to do with your truck and with whom you intend to do it with. Making a decision now for what you may need in a vehicle in 15 years doesn't seem prudent. Too many things will change by then.

TL;DR. Buy what you want now and enjoy the hell out of it, my man - don't plan for something 15 years down the road when today and tomorrow have their own worries. The Ranger is more than adequate for your growing family.

OP
OP
JeeperCreeper

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
It seems like everyone that actually transports kids in their Rangers likes it. Some people “think” (decree) that it’s uncomfortable because other vehicles are better baby/kid transporters. It seems like your lifestyle requires a truck or similar and the evidence suggests the Ranger would make a good fit.
just out of curiosity- have you posted this same question on a Ram forum? What was their response?
I didn't post anything, because I didn't want to register.

But I did search tons of threads on a few Ram forums, everyone seems to think bigger is better, but a mid sized or quad cab full size is doable.

I agree that more room is superior when isolating just cargo, but driving in tight places is the issue.

I think a Ranger will do me well as a "good for everything" kinda truck.

I decided to wait for mine. And if I hate it, I'll take my deposit back and go right to the Ram dealership.

But after driving numerous, I doubt I'll hate it

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If you get a Ram, please, please, please find out why they drive with their mirrors extended.

I've asked in many places and never gotten a response.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Reading this thread has made it obvious to me that we travel light.

Seriously, there's not that much to carry for 1 child. A diaper bag, and a car seat. Perhaps a stroller. Simple.

How much crap do you really need to have with you at all times?

I swear some of y'all must carry a purse with all the stuff you think you need to carry with you.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
If you get a Ram, please, please, please find out why they drive with their mirrors extended.

I've asked in many places and never gotten a response.
Because it's more aggro, bruh. Whenever I see a RAM Rebel on the highway I always give them a wide margin so I don't become the next attempted target of their inferiority complex.
Sponsored