First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Looking to purchase 2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew with 302 pkg. we will be towing it four down behind Class C motorhome limited to 5000lbs. Curb weight about 4441 lbs. our first 4x4.
1) is the FX 4 Off Road Pkg worth having? Or just the 3.73 locking axle? Or just use 4x4 instead of FX 4 or 3.73 axle? I don’t anticipate doing remote trail driving. Just some dirt roads or easy trailheads to hiking trails. Like the weight savings without FX 4. Anyone know home much weight FX 4 adds to truck?
2) 17 in or 18 in wheels? Prefer all season tires because they are mostly quieter.
3) Thanks to this forum I will not get Ford spray on liner. Will get drop in so it is easy to clean.
4) Any thoughts on 5 inch black running boards. My wife is short so need something.
5) Best Ford cover: retractable, hard or soft or other?
6) Getting tow Pkg so we can carry bike rack. Anyrecommendations for bed rack to carry kayaks?

Torn btw Magnetic and lightning blue. Love the Blue Ox base plate that is easy to install by replacing the tow hooks.

Love this forum. Thanks in advance for your time.

Ron
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ranger Chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I've got a '19 xlt 4x4 302a. I can't speak for the locking axle but in my opinion the regular 4x4 is all you would need. The Fx4's main attraction is the trail management system and the trail control. I have 17 in. wheels and am happy with them. The running boards would probably be a good choice, for shorter people and if you have older folks with you.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Personally, I prefer the FX4 ride, wife's FX4 is much nicer around town than my RWD. Doubt it adds much weight, the shields just aren't that heavy duty.

Tires mostly personal preference -- wheel aesthetics probably key

The OEM 5" boards work well, but bracket finish is disappointing and they're darn expensive for what you get. I think some of the aftermarket options are both better value and more pleasing to the eye.

The DiamondBack LS or HD is arguably the best cover, certainly for my needs. Soft, rollup covers are good for some, I like that I can carry 4 or 5 hundred pounds ON mine!.

As for torn between Magnetic and Lightening Blue, I've got one of each! Well, not really. I've got a Magnetic, the wife lets me put gas in her Lightening Blue.

20200506_172444.jpg

OP
OP

Sarz272000

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Personally, I prefer the FX4 ride, wife's FX4 is much nicer around town than my RWD. Doubt it adds much weight, the shields just aren't that heavy duty.

Tires mostly personal preference -- wheel aesthetics probably key

The OEM 5" boards work well, but bracket finish is disappointing and they're darn expensive for what you get. I think some of the aftermarket options are both better value and more pleasing to the eye.

The DiamondBack LS or HD is arguably the best cover, certainly for my needs. Soft, rollup covers are good for some, I like that I can carry 4 or 5 hundred pounds ON mine!.

As for torn between Magnetic and Lightening Blue, I've got one of each! Well, not really. I've got a Magnetic, the wife lets me put gas in her Lightening Blue.

20200506_172444.jpg
Thanks for your comments. The DiamondBack suggestion is something I had not considered. I like that idea. I will have to see how much it weighs. I have to keep everything under 5000 lbs.

Reactions: Doc

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Take both for a test drive to compare the ride. I bought the FX4 package because I plan to go off road but several reviews I mentioned did comment on the regular suspension not being stiff enough causing body roll and bouncing.
Hard cover tonneaus seems to weight 65 lbs and up, I just bought a tri fold soft owing to the weight.
As someone mentioned larger wheels are mostly aesthetic - they usually cost more to replace and can have a small impact on mpg. Having said that my Ranger has 18" AT tires but it was a dealer demo purcahes and pretty well optioned with 501a and other stuff. I went cheap on the bed and bought a rug .

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I got the Lariat because I really am hooked on keyless start, other good features too. Line-X for liner, and their version of the BakFlip if a hard, foldable cover is what you decide on.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I have RWD with locker sport with 302a., so I can't answer the question about the FX4.
Color - both are great colors they were #2 and 3 but went with the white.

running boards - I tested a black package with the running boards and my wife didn't like how they were setup - she is 5'4 it didn't find them useful. I would look at aftermarket

Tires - 18" look nice but check out cost to replace - I like the ride on the 17" - also make sure that you check the tire pressure.

I have a TruXedo TruXport soft roll up cover (Under $300) - I love it and its works very well. I like the soft cover because I can roll it up pretty small and out of the way when I need to use my full bed.

Also, throwing a thrift store blanket over the tail gate works great for taking bikes on a short trip.

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
I'd drive both if you can. I ended up test driving a few used ones before I ordered.

I don't like the ride on the standard/sports. If I only drove those, I wouldn't get a Ranger.

Then I drove an FX4, fantastic. Improved the driveability in every way.

So I would pick the FX4. And always like to be prepared and the FX4 goodies may help only once or twice in bad weather or in a tough spot.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
With regard to number 3, I don’t think many here recommend a drop in liner over a spray in. The more common question is whether to get the Ford spray in vs. aftermarket. Most seem to prefer aftermarket, such as Line-x. Spray in is much nicer than drop in.

Reactions: Doc

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'd drive both if you can. I ended up test driving a few used ones before I ordered.

I don't like the ride on the standard/sports. If I only drove those, I wouldn't get a Ranger.

Then I drove an FX4, fantastic. Improved the driveability in every way.

So I would pick the FX4. And always like to be prepared and the FX4 goodies may help only once or twice in bad weather or in a tough spot.
got a feeling they have already decided and picked up the truck cause the post was in 2020.
Although they might still be waiting for it to be built. ?

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
got a feeling they have already decided and picked up the truck cause the post was in 2020.
Although they might still be waiting for it to be built. ?
Haha dang, I didn't even look. Great Necro thread. Last time I take the forum's suggestions on "similar threads" haha.

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to purchase 2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew with 302 pkg. we will be towing it four down behind Class C motorhome limited to 5000lbs. Curb weight about 4441 lbs. our first 4x4.
1) is the FX 4 Off Road Pkg worth having? Or just the 3.73 locking axle? Or just use 4x4 instead of FX 4 or 3.73 axle? I don’t anticipate doing remote trail driving. Just some dirt roads or easy trailheads to hiking trails. Like the weight savings without FX 4. Anyone know home much weight FX 4 adds to truck?
2) 17 in or 18 in wheels? Prefer all season tires because they are mostly quieter.
3) Thanks to this forum I will not get Ford spray on liner. Will get drop in so it is easy to clean.
4) Any thoughts on 5 inch black running boards. My wife is short so need something.
5) Best Ford cover: retractable, hard or soft or other?
6) Getting tow Pkg so we can carry bike rack. Anyrecommendations for bed rack to carry kayaks?

Torn btw Magnetic and lightning blue. Love the Blue Ox base plate that is easy to install by replacing the tow hooks.

Love this forum. Thanks in advance for your time.

Ron
1- IMHO no based on your described use for the vehicle. you can option in the locker and contrary to other posts on here I didn't notice a difference after driving an FX4 SC back to back with a XLT 4x4 SC. I also bought my truck knowing I was going to be ripping off the suspension. I would encourage you to drive both for sure and make the decision with your own a$$
2- 17's seem to have slightly better selection from an all-season SUV tire perspective. PLus I'd recommend additional sidewall always for even moderate offroad
3- did an afermarket Line-x, 0 issues but seems like your mind is made up on the drop in
4- the stock ones are fine if the truck comes with, they dont hang super low and get the job done. i personally dont run any.
5- hard top cover for security reasons for me, doesn't matter if its retractable or not. i have a BakFlip aluminum tri-fold on my truck and love it.
6- i'm sure yakima or thule has you covered here.

Edit: you know what they say about opinions though...
Sponsored