Ford Ranger is my First Truck - Need Advice

Roaring Gorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Ridgeline AWD Sport
Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and I apologize in advance if I should not have created a new thread for this.

Two weeks ago, I bought a White 2019 Ford Ranger XLT. This is my first truck I have ever owned myself. While I am excited to finally own a truck, I have some questions/concerns and am seeking some advice. To clarify, I mostly use my truck right now to commute to work (84 miles a day) in the Midwest. I don't work a maintenance job, I don't farm/ranch, nor do I tow things consistently.

1). What is the best Tonneau cover for the Ford Ranger? I have determined there are just too many options for me to decide. I am seeking some advice on the best covers for the Ranger. I don't have a preference between soft vs. hard covers - just want something reliable. I do understand hard covers offer better theft deterrent than soft covers.

2). What additional external/internal accessories should I consider for my Ranger? I have Linex bed-liner and I have running boards. Outside of that, I have only factory install products for my truck. I was wondering is if I should upgrade the audio system (sadly I was given only the 300A entertainment package)?

3). What is the best fuel to burn in the Ranger? I have mostly filled up over the last two week with premium gasoline because that what is suggested in the owner's manual. However, since premium is very expensive, I would love to know if I could maintain solid engine performance with regular or plus?

4). I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the turbo-charged 4-cylinder engine. Outside of regular oil changes, and not driving like a madman all-the-time, what else can I do to ensure I can maintain engine longevity?

5). How long does it take the Ford Ranger's fuel economy to reach advertised MPG? I am averaging roughly 19.5 MPG right now.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post. I would greatly appreciate any insight into my questions - or if there is anything else I should know about owing this awesome truck!
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I’d go with a Truxedo LoPro soft roll up tonneau cover. It a between the rails cover and nearly flush with the sides. I’ve had one on each of my Rangers over the years and they work, last a long time and look great! With your commute you’d be better off using Regular fuel. Your MPG is more dependent on speed than fuel so don’t pay 30% more for 10% better mileage. The turbo engine is well tested and they will last forever if you just follow the prescribed maintenance schedule. It’s a Truck, built Ford Tough, and needs to be maintained, not babied. Enjoy the Ranger, they’re Special!

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and I apologize in advance if I should not have created a new thread for this.

Two weeks ago, I bought a White 2019 Ford Ranger XLT. This is my first truck I have ever owned myself. While I am excited to finally own a truck, I have some questions/concerns and am seeking some advice. To clarify, I mostly use my truck right now to commute to work (84 miles a day) in the Midwest. I don't work a maintenance job, I don't farm/ranch, nor do I tow things consistently.
Congrats on the new truck, and welcome to the forum!
1). What is the best Tonneau cover for the Ford Ranger? I have determined there are just too many options for me to decide. I am seeking some advice on the best covers for the Ranger. I don't have a preference between soft vs. hard covers - just want something reliable. I do understand hard covers offer better theft deterrent than soft covers.
I don't have any specific input here, since tonneau covers aren't something for me. However, many forum members have posted their experiences with the covers themselves, and with the vendors who sell them. I'd recommend heavy use of the "search" box to start getting some ideas.
2). What additional external/internal accessories should I consider for my Ranger? I have Linex bed-liner and I have running boards. Outside of that, I have only factory install products for my truck. I was wondering is if I should upgrade the audio system (sadly I was given only the 300A entertainment package)?
For commuting, I don't think there's anything else you'll "need" to get this truck to do everything you ask of it. So I think you should approach this from the angle of what accessories will make this truck truly you. Hop on over to the project section to get an idea of what other people have done. There's a lot of truly cool things that people are doing to their trucks over there. There's also a 600+ post thread on miscellaneous things people have done to their trucks that's worth perusing, though make sure you have plenty of time for that one.

Oh yeah, and you need to get yourself a forum decal.
3). What is the best fuel to burn in the Ranger? I have mostly filled up over the last two week with premium gasoline because that what is suggested in the owner's manual. However, since premium is very expensive, I would love to know if I could maintain solid engine performance with regular or plus?
There's a recent, and somewhat contentious, thread on this very topic. Bottom line, regular unleaded is fine for your daily commute, but you may prefer to continue to use premium if you want a little extra oomph.
4). I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the turbo-charged 4-cylinder engine. Outside of regular oil changes, and not driving like a madman all-the-time, what else can I do to ensure I can maintain engine longevity?
I share this concern, but Ford has been using these turbos for a while and they've held up surprisingly well. Do what you should do for any engine: follow the maintenance schedule, and if a problem does pop up, nip it in the bud.
5). How long does it take the Ford Ranger's fuel economy to reach advertised MPG? I am averaging roughly 19.5 MPG right now.
19.5 sounds pretty good for 4x4. Give it a couple thousand miles to really find its groove. Keep in mind that, depending on where you live, the combination of cold starts and winter blend can drag your mileage down for the next few months.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Drive it like a 4CYL and get 4Cyl mileage.
Drive it like a V8 and get V8 mileage.
Set your dash on "AVG MPG" and let it school you
This is not your Grampa's Turbo... no need worry about reliability.

Soft covers look great and cost less but they tend to shrink , fade and wear faster than hard covers

Unless you are towing close to the limit, you really won't need premium fuel.
Just stick with first tier RBOB 87 and you'll do fine.

ALHO1966

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
FYI my owners manual suggest 87 not sure where you get the premium recommendation. I know some guys on this site like premium but if the truck is tuned for 87 why not run it?

As for your other question about the cover you should check out the exterior upgrades section on this site it has tons of information.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the new Ranger as for gas I just use 87 octane with my factory tires I get around 23.4 mpg. My ranger is my third Ecoboost engine I have nothing but praise for them. Great power and my 13 Escape had over a 100.000 miles with no problems. Have fun with your new Ranger and enjoy.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
FYI my owners manual suggest 87 not sure where you get the premium recommendation.......
He get's the premium recommendation on Page 141 of the Owners Manual. "For best overall vehicle and engine performance...."

Page 140 and 141 87 - 91 Octane.jpg

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
1). What is the best Tonneau cover for the Ford Ranger?.
There are several threads on covers that have great insight. I purchased the Gator SFX. Decent enough, not a “perfect” fit, allows a small amount of water in at the corners and at the tailgate. My first truck as well, so I really don’t have anything to compare to.

2). What additional external/internal accessories should I consider for my Ranger?
Simple add on... but this tray or similar is beneficial... Vehicle OCD - Center Console Organizer Tray for Ford Ranger (2019-2020) - Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WZPPPN9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_kkObEb1W8CSWP

At just over 2K miles, gas mileage is still in the low 19’s... I don’t drive it like a 4... bit disappointed, is what it is. Have only run 87, if I want to be aggressive, I use Sport mode.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You might want to add a tailgate damper seeing as they're an easy 10 minute install. You can get it for $40.00 here and use code WELCOME at checkout for free shipping.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
FYI my owners manual suggest 87 not sure where you get the premium recommendation. I know some guys on this site like premium but if the truck is tuned for 87 why not run it?

As for your other question about the cover you should check out the exterior upgrades section on this site it has tons of information.
First post, welcome to the forum. However, please refer to Henry’s post below for proper info. Ecoboost engines use knock sensing and advanced timing to improve performance with higher octanes. 93 provides noticeable improvement IMO and I ran it permanently in my 2015 2.0l EB Fusion for four years and since day one in my ranger. Try it, you’ll see the difference.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome and great looking truck - I think that the white looks awesome! Thank you AZScorpin just ordered the damper.

Gas - try both and see which ones works best for you and your commute.

Covers - as stated a lot of info here and I would recommend researching and what you may need to do with the Line X - based on what I have seen the two top ones are the truxedo and gator for soft roll up (I'm going to probably go with the Truxedo not sure which level).

Stereo wise - Does it meet your needs? If not I would look at the modification forum - I believe the difference between the 300a vs 301a is just the Sync 3 stereo both have 6 speakers I believe.

I'm still at the 19.5 MPG with my truck but its still in break in mode.

Lastly kick back and enjoy your truck.

OP
OP
Roaring Gorilla

Roaring Gorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Ridgeline AWD Sport
Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate you all offering your insight. I will consider all advice given so far and I again appreciate all the help!

Reactions: Ric

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate you all offering your insight. I will consider all advice given so far and I again appreciate all the help!
Just to add in what has already been said, I've seen people on the F-150 forums running 150,000mi+ on the factory original turbo. These are well-built engines. I've averaged 20.8 mpg over 1,700mi so far. I drive just slightly above the speed limit and use cruise control, my work commute is 50mi round trip. This is using regular 87, but I try to stop at name brand gas stations.

I had a truck with a hard, locking cover. It was great, however it was expensive. I enjoy the peace of mind knowing I can leave stuff back there, but it's locked and safe. Plus it keeps the snow out of the bed. I'm still looking for a cover for my ranger.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Just started a tread but this is a great review about how tried and tested this truck is

https://www.outsideonline.com/2398608/2019-ford-ranger-full-review
Great article!
While it is obvious that the truck is biased toward 4WD and conventional 4 Doors, The article points out just how good this truck really is in every form offered.
I have a 2WD SuperCab STX...
I like the 6 second 0-60 times along with the 6ft box and yes the passenger space....

Today I drove over 500 miles with four adults and a box full of cargo.
We suffered windy conditions with light and heavy rainfall
We all arrived home safely and in good comfort.
Of course my larger than the average son in law took shotgun, while my wife and daughter took the back seats.
Everyone expressed compliments on the comfort and quiet.
The ladies enjoyed the ride in the back seat and felt no need to stop or get out even though the first leg of our trip was 260 miles non-stop.
I always call out rest areas as we approach and offer to stop, no takers.
3.5 hours each way in comfort for all four of us.
Sponsored