Ford Ranger is my First Truck - Need Advice

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and I apologize in advance if I should not have created a new thread for this.

Two weeks ago, I bought a White 2019 Ford Ranger XLT. This is my first truck I have ever owned myself. While I am excited to finally own a truck, I have some questions/concerns and am seeking some advice. To clarify, I mostly use my truck right now to commute to work (84 miles a day) in the Midwest. I don't work a maintenance job, I don't farm/ranch, nor do I tow things consistently.

1). What is the best Tonneau cover for the Ford Ranger? I have determined there are just too many options for me to decide. I am seeking some advice on the best covers for the Ranger. I don't have a preference between soft vs. hard covers - just want something reliable. I do understand hard covers offer better theft deterrent than soft covers.

2). What additional external/internal accessories should I consider for my Ranger? I have Linex bed-liner and I have running boards. Outside of that, I have only factory install products for my truck. I was wondering is if I should upgrade the audio system (sadly I was given only the 300A entertainment package)?

3). What is the best fuel to burn in the Ranger? I have mostly filled up over the last two week with premium gasoline because that what is suggested in the owner's manual. However, since premium is very expensive, I would love to know if I could maintain solid engine performance with regular or plus?

4). I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the turbo-charged 4-cylinder engine. Outside of regular oil changes, and not driving like a madman all-the-time, what else can I do to ensure I can maintain engine longevity?

5). How long does it take the Ford Ranger's fuel economy to reach advertised MPG? I am averaging roughly 19.5 MPG right now.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post. I would greatly appreciate any insight into my questions - or if there is anything else I should know about owing this awesome truck!
1). What is the best Tonneau cover for the Ford Ranger? I have determined there are just too many options for me to decide. I am seeking some advice on the best covers for the Ranger. I don't have a preference between soft vs. hard covers - just want something reliable. I do understand hard covers offer better theft deterrent than soft covers.

I bought the BakFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover and I really like the available features on it.

2). What additional external/internal accessories should I consider for my Ranger? I have Linex bed-liner and I have running boards. Outside of that, I have only factory install products for my truck. I was wondering is if I should upgrade the audio system (sadly I was given only the 300A entertainment package)?

I like the Ford Ranger Mud Flaps a lot. VKB3Z-16A550-A and VKB3Z-16A550-C but they are expensive. Best price was at Lasco.

https://www.lascoautoparts.com/search?search_str=VKB3Z-16A550-A+VKB3Z-16A550-C

3). What is the best fuel to burn in the Ranger? I have mostly filled up over the last two week with premium gasoline because that what is suggested in the owner's manual. However, since premium is very expensive, I would love to know if I could maintain solid engine performance with regular or plus?

I just burn regular 87 octane and I am getting 24 MPG but it really depends on how hard you drive it.

4). I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the turbo-charged 4-cylinder engine. Outside of regular oil changes, and not driving like a madman all-the-time, what else can I do to ensure I can maintain engine longevity?

My 1998 Ford Ranger 2.4 Cylinder lasted nearly 20 years and only died because someone rear-ended me so had it crushed the vehicle nearly killing me...The new Ranger is much stronger and I expect nothing less from it.

5). How long does it take the Ford Ranger's fuel economy to reach advertised MPG? I am averaging roughly 19.5 MPG right now.

I don't punch mine unless I need too and I am getting 24 MPG overall. I was getting 24.8 MPG but winter has set in here and MPG always goes down during winter.

I hope that helps and I congratulate you on on buying what I think is the best of all truck options...not too big but yet a beast.

Jim
Sponsored

LMKFX4XLT

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercab
I’m also (finally) a first time truck owner. First adds have been Weather Tech mats and mud flaps, front and back on both. I went with the Lomax hard tri-fold cover. Good reviews on all items on this site, and happy with the choices. Was a little concerned about the 4 cylinder, but as others have said - strong history.

CoMtnRanger

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger STX Supercab 4X4, 3" lift
Occupation
Engineer
Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and I apologize in advance if I should not have created a new thread for this.

Two weeks ago, I bought a White 2019 Ford Ranger XLT. This is my first truck I have ever owned myself. While I am excited to finally own a truck, I have some questions/concerns and am seeking some advice. To clarify, I mostly use my truck right now to commute to work (84 miles a day) in the Midwest. I don't work a maintenance job, I don't farm/ranch, nor do I tow things consistently.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post. I would greatly appreciate any insight into my questions - or if there is anything else I should know about owing this awesome truck!
Welcome, I'm stock tires/wheels (17" silver painted, part of STX 4x4 package), get 23mpg. For fuel... like noted there are many opinions, I live in Colorado, commute 67 miles round trip. I choose 87 or 91 octane, and not more than 10% ethanol since I know what ethanol does to fuel systems from running it in other vehicles and my motorcycles. The engine will adjust to octane changes, and you get better mileage from ethanol free fuels (87 or 91 octane), because ethanol does not have the equivalent power of gas. So I would choose 87 octane ethanol free over 91 octane 10% ethanol. I do have 91 octane ethanol free as a $3.75/gal choice, so it is not every tank that gets the high grade! One man, one opinion... regardless; welcome to the forum and enjoy your new truck!

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome, I'm stock tires/wheels (17" silver painted, part of STX 4x4 package), get 23mpg. For fuel... like noted there are many opinions, I live in Colorado, commute 67 miles round trip. I choose 87 or 91 octane, and not more than 10% ethanol since I know what ethanol does to fuel systems from running it in other vehicles and my motorcycles. The engine will adjust to octane changes, and you get better mileage from ethanol free fuels (87 or 91 octane), because ethanol does not have the equivalent power of gas. So I would choose 87 octane ethanol free over 91 octane 10% ethanol. I do have 91 octane ethanol free as a $3.75/gal choice, so it is not every tank that gets the high grade! One man, one opinion... regardless; welcome to the forum and enjoy your new truck!
I have been running Murphy 87 ethanol free to compare to Costco 91 10% ethanol. I have thought my mpg is low since going to one size up tires, getting 18-19 despite a decent amount of highway miles in my commute. The fuel energy difference is about 3% if you look it up. It technically has to be better mpg. Power is hard to say because of the engine tuning itself. 3% is also about the speedometer and mpg error introduced by my tires.
Sponsored