First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
There is no way in hell I'm sleeping in a 5' bed. I'm 6'3 so I can't even lay diagonally and fit. I have a new Hardshell RTT that I have yet to install. I was busy getting it ready this weekend. I wouldn't want to sleep in the bed anyhow as I use it for storage. It would be a real pain to move items around just so that I can sleep in it.
The FSR looks great. That's going on the SmartCap?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
The FSR looks great. That's going on the SmartCap?
Yes, I purchased 3 loadbars for the cap. There will be a good amount of overhang onto the Cab but there is enough clearance for the UpTopOverland rack not to interfere while flexing.
The loadbars for RSI are made by Frontrunner or so I hear. I purchased them directly from Frontrunner as they have them instock and RSI does not.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I purchased 3 loadbars for the cap. There will be a good amount of overhang onto the Cab but there is enough clearance for the UpTopOverland rack not to interfere while flexing.
The loadbars for RSI are made by Frontrunner or so I hear. I purchased them directly from Frontrunner as they have them instock and RSI does not.
Sounds great, excited to see it mounted!

sjl136

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Occupation
Engineer
Real nice build you have! Do you have any in the bed photos showing how you mounted your fridge slide? I'm planning on the SmartCap as well with my GFC Superlite on top, and considering either mounting a 3/4" plywood sheet to the bed, to then bolt my fridge slide to, and some L tracks for strapping down cargo boxes, or going with a bed CargoSlide. My Ranger is still about 2 months out, so just trying to have things lined up for when it gets here.

Reactions: Doc

FairFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 5G
Occupation
DIY enthusiast
This a pic of the items installed on the UpTopOverland Bravo Rack.
  • ARB Tredpro Recovery Boards
  • Goal Zero 50 watt panels X2
  • Fiskars 36" Splitting Axe
  • Fiskars 44" Shovel
  • OVS 6.5' Awning
PXL_20210605_154250477.png

I purchased the Awning bracket and the Chop & Dig mount from Uptopoverland. The recovery boards are using a modified Yakima recovery board mount. The solar panels are using a bracket that I cut down to size and drilled out. I had to rewire the panels due to the cables being to short to fit in this orientation.
Thank you for sharing! You did a great job in the realization of your project! And it looks like a survivor's starter pack. Appreciate Fiskars's stuff( I got this baby)
Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
Thanks Frank! I need to upload some pictures soon. The Truck looks entirely different from my last post. The tent has been mounted to the Smartcap for months and I have rearranged the UpTopOverland rack to better suit my needs. The biggest change is I have installed a behemoth front bumper. It's the ARB Summit and it's heavy. The winch I have mounted to it only makes it heavier.

OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
Real nice build you have! Do you have any in the bed photos showing how you mounted your fridge slide? I'm planning on the SmartCap as well with my GFC Superlite on top, and considering either mounting a 3/4" plywood sheet to the bed, to then bolt my fridge slide to, and some L tracks for strapping down cargo boxes, or going with a bed CargoSlide. My Ranger is still about 2 months out, so just trying to have things lined up for when it gets here.
I need to take more pics of my setup. I keep tweaking it for no other reason than to make it just a smidge better. I have a table mounted to the roof of the Smartcap that helps a lot. I also use the Milwaukee Packout boxes and have mounted their base plates to the plywood to keep things in place while bumping around offroad. Everything has it's place and is mounted securely to the bed or to the sidewalls of the bed. ....Don't know if I mentioned but I installed the Built-Right Molle panels. Maybe I can take more pictures this weekend

OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
BTW, here's a link to the Ranger in action at last years Overland Expo West trip. This is the Broken Arrow trail in Sedona located pretty close to the event. I don't do any filming. I just have fun. This is my friend's channel. The Ranger is in several of the videos. I drive like a Jack Ass in some of them so don't hold that against me.......

RiptideRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
After a day of fun
PXL_20220314_152645793.PORTRAIT.png

All Sparkly
PXL_20220214_005314281.PORTRAIT.png
I think I spy a corner of that SmartCap! Looking forward to your updates - between your ride and the Stage3 overland ranger, I've got some inspiration.

I think I saw in another one of your posts that you're running 285s - how was your experience regarding the crash bar? Any modifications required?

OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I think I spy a corner of that SmartCap! Looking forward to your updates - between your ride and the Stage3 overland ranger, I've got some inspiration.

I think I saw in another one of your posts that you're running 285s - how was your experience regarding the crash bar? Any modifications required?
I am running 285/70 17 but may go up to 285/75 17 at some point. 33" to 34" while keeping the same width. Minor difference but does help when offroad.

Crash bars were removed. Had to in order to fit larger tires. I feel better about it having that huge bumper up front. I know that is a highly debated topic. I would not go smaller tires with the offroading that I do. However, my fuel economy has suffered. Gearing is fine for 33's. I would consider regearing for 35's though. Not quite worth it for me. If you want to keep your crash bars I say trim the existing ones or try and fit aftermarket options.

I want to swap Eibach springs for a heavier spring rate. I am having trouble finding the correct length. The front squats too much with the standard Fox 2.5 coilovers. I can't find the spring rate either but will probably go with 650 or 700lbs. Bumper + Winch = Sag.

Hope your build comes together nicely.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So after months of waiting on parts, Covid shutdowns and all, I finally received everything that I ordered back in November.
The list is as follows:
  • Front - Fox 2.5 Coilovers with DSC Reservoirs
  • Rear - Fox 2.5 Shocks with DSC Reservoirs
  • Old Man Emu Leaf Springs (Medium Weight)
  • Grimm Offroad Upper Control Arms
  • White Knuckle Offroad Rock Sliders
  • Baja S8 20" Lightbar
  • Icon Six Speed 17" X 8.5" Wheels
  • BFGoodrich KO2 285/70R17 Tires
Fox 2.5 DSC's Front and Rear
PXL_20210223_194853555.PORTRAIT.jpg

Grimm UCA's
PXL_20210223_195540830.PORTRAIT.jpg

OME Leaf Springs
PXL_20210223_195606754.PORTRAIT.jpg

Wheels and Tires. Significantly larger than Nitto's that came with the truck.
PXL_20210224_001434213.jpg
I know this an old post, How is your Grimm UCAs? I'm looking for a UCAs on my 3.5 inch lift. Thanks in advance.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
BTW, here's a link to the Ranger in action at last years Overland Expo West trip. This is the Broken Arrow trail in Sedona located pretty close to the event. I don't do any filming. I just have fun. This is my friend's channel. The Ranger is in several of the videos. I drive like a Jack Ass in some of them so don't hold that against me.......

man the ranger did great! fun video to watch