First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Here's another update. I've decided to go forward with ground tent camping and build out my dream ozzy style touring setup in the bed of the truck. WIP pictures below with more to come later this week as I wrap up the first iteration. Headed to Moab next weekend for the first test.
68740283331__0CA2D542-EA3D-4B89-9E04-14293213E99D.JPG

Also, I have once again changed my tire setup. I found that the 35's were just a little too much for my Ozzy style of build that I am going for. I just purchased some new 285/70/18 (~33) Falken Wildpeak AT3W's and am I stoked with how they look. Very excited to see how they perform off road.

IMG_4472.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
UnregistredHypercam2

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Are those tires the new ones? 285? They look big.
Bottom side shot is the new tires. 285/70/18 - about 32.5 as she sits right now

OP
OP
UnregistredHypercam2

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I am now about 90% complete with rebuilding my storage solution in the bed of the truck. This is a 50/50 storage solution to accommodate carrying my road bicycle inside of the bed where it is locked away and protected from the elements, hence why the buildup is only on the driver's side. For camping trips, the open space on the passenger side will accommodate my swag tent, folding table/chair, and other misc. bulky items.

If you have any ideas, I'm all ears. Brainstorming has been half the fun with this buildup, shoutout to @Nopalito and @Colo_Ranger for the extra sets of hands and minds.

IMG_5679.jpg

The high points:
  • 3 tier storage
    • Tier 1: Recovery gear drawer on 500lb heavy duty locking drawer slides
    • Tier 2: Mostly hidden middle cubby for routing power cables for the inverter, jackery, and fridge. Might eventually turn this into useable storage accessible from the windoor, but its just a basement right now.
    • Tier 3: Table space/future camp kitchen. This top shelf is accessible from the driver's side windoor and will serve as general table storage. Eventually, I'd like to install a water tank against the bulkhead of the truck bed and run pressurized water through an outlet up there.
IMG_5681.jpg
IMG_5680.jpg

Last edited:

OP
OP
UnregistredHypercam2

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Some updated pics. I am considering the initial buildup "done" at this point. I have a lot of ideas swimming around my head on how to best utilize this space, and I do still want to paint or carpet it. That being said, this setup will get me through the weekend doing a shakedown run on Red Cone with @Colo_Ranger and others.
IMG_5692.jpeg
IMG_5698.jpeg
IMG_5695.jpeg
IMG_5697.jpeg

OP
OP
UnregistredHypercam2

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Version 3 build shakedown run way a success! Red Cone completed, no loud clunking or things breaking. Really happy with these HD drawer slides. Shoutout to @AndyMedic for his magic touch fixing the lock mechanism on my fridge slide.

IMG_5770.JPG

Also big thanks to @AndyMedic and @Colo_Ranger for the unplanned arts and crafts night getting my new 36" chase bar set up.

IMG_5726.JPG

OP
OP
UnregistredHypercam2

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity
This weekend I knocked out a couple little things. Created a mount point for my new Ignik ammo can fire pit next to the jackery, mounted some LED strip lights for camp, and give ole girl a bath.

71122629831__B0E47030-6BF6-4622-BFB3-F2DE287A92CB.jpeg
IMG_5839.jpeg
IMG_5849.jpeg

OP
OP
UnregistredHypercam2

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Nice and easy "mod" today. Finally got around to transferring my sticker collection from my old sliding window to my new windoor. On a completely unrelated note, baby wipes do a great job at removing gorilla glue from fingers.
IMG_5903.JPG

OP
OP
UnregistredHypercam2

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Couple quick mods for the weekend. Once again, thanks to @Colo_Ranger for the help.

#1 is a Mishimoto/Borne Off Road snorkel

#2 is a bull bar mounted GMRS antenna. Currently mounted just because it looks cool, I'll get it wired up tomorrow.

IMG_5933.JPG

OP
OP
UnregistredHypercam2

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Also found a local fab shop who is making me sliders for $725 painted and installed, will report back next week after they're on.
Sponsored