My First Ranger Oil Change

Ranger1701

First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I did my first oil change in my new Ranger (at 3600 mi) and it went very smoothly. The only real issue was, as others have pointed out, the factory installed oil filter. I had to use one of those universal oil change things (with the three prongs) and it was on super tight. Other than that it was a fairly standard oil change.

A couple of things:
  1. I only used 6 qts of oil and it seemed pretty full, like to the top of the dipstick. Is this normal? I know the manual says 6.2.
  2. I just drove up on ramps. How often should I rotate the tires?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did my first oil change in my new Ranger (at 3600 mi) and it went very smoothly. The only real issue was, as others have pointed out, the factory installed oil filter. I had to use one of those universal oil change things (with the three prongs) and it was on super tight. Other than that it was a fairly standard oil change.

A couple of things:
  1. I only used 6 qts of oil and it seemed pretty full, like to the top of the dipstick. Is this normal? I know the manual says 6.2.
Hi Ranger1701

Might be the oil was checked while on ramps? The angle of the ranger might have given you a false indicator of full.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

I Truck Naked

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Jaguar / Land Rover Senior Technician
I've always recommended rotating tires every other service, but now with how service intervals have changed as oil technology improved, I tend to stick with every 7500 miles for rotating, and every other rotate gets a balance.

At least that's how I do it in my shop (Jaguar / Land Rover dealer)

Reactions: Doc

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Did you let it drain long enough? These new motors take a while for everything to drain back to the pan.

OP
OP
Ranger1701

Ranger1701

First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I checked the oil on level ground and let it drain until it stopped dripping. I'll check again the oil level next time I take it out.

Thanks for the recommended rotation interval, Josh.

☺ ☺ ☺

Last edited:

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I only used 6 qts of oil and it seemed pretty full, like to the top of the dipstick. Is this normal? I know the manual says 6.2.
When I did my first oil change, I drained the engine first then (leaving the oil pan drain plug out) slid my drain pan over under the little spout in the frame where the oil from the filter exits. Then I removed the filter and when I did, a bunch more oil came out of the engine oil pan and all over my floor. I don't know if it was .2 quarts, but it was a bunch.

Did you remove your oil filter with your drain plug removed?

I just did my second oil change last week, and this is my procedure (I have a fumoto drain valve, so no drain plug to deal with):

1) Open engine drain valve and let it drain completely into a catch container.
2) Close engine drain valve.
3) Move catch container under oil filter drain spout.
4) Replace oil filter
5) Move catch container back under engine, and open drain valve again. More oil comes out, drain completely.
6) Close drain valve, fill engine with new oil.

At my last change, it took around 6.2-3 quarts. I didn't measure all that precisely. Oil level is exactly at the top of the full mark on the dipstick on level ground.

Good luck!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I do my oil changes every 5,000 miles and i do my rotates at the same miles. I'm not far from doing #6 and i havent had the truck for a year quite yet. With having a 2 post lift avalible I pull the tires off then change the oil and filter. After that the tires get rotated and i call it good from there.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I used to do all of my on oil changes also. But, as I have matured, re:gotten older, I find that I would much rather stop by the dealer, give it to the service writer, grab a cup of Joe, and walk around the lot looking at the new cars. And, 30-45 minutes later it's done, and I'm still clean. :)

BTW, for those that don't know Ford has what they call "The Works" oil change. It's oil, filter, tire rotation, and fluid check for $39.95. Of course by the time they are through with the tax, and shop fees it's around $50. But, that's cheap enough for all that in my mind. Just go to the dealers web site, click on service specials, print off the coupon, and hand it to the service writer. If you're interested.

Update: With inflation now (12/2021) this package in now $44.95. Still worth it to me.

Last edited:

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
What makes me nervous about oil changes at the stealerships is the "who" gets to do the oil changes; normally a job given to the newbies (in my younger days they were called the LMNOP's), whom are still figuring the right end of a screwdriver...I've had instances where a trip to the dealer for balancing/rotating tires ended up as a oil change (overfilled and lost 1/2 the skid plate bolts and undertorqued the rest) and no tire rotation, the result being a ruined set of General Grabber AT2's...so, I'll stick to my own oil changes and tire rotations until I can't turn a wrench anymore

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

A couple of things:
I rotate the tires and change the oil every 4,000 miles.

In my experience with 4x4 trucks, going 7,500 miles between tire rotations is too long.

When we 1st bought our 2002 Tacoma TRD I was rotating the tires every 8,000 miles and found that the tread wear was such that cupping occurred and the tires got noisy. I changed to rotating them every 4,000 miles and had over 57,000 miles on the set of Dynapro ATM's on it when we traded the truck in on our Ranger.

Martin14

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2021
Occupation
Engineer
I think you did the right oil change, I change oil every 5000 miles, tires every 8000.For cold weather I use Royal Purple 51530 here https://davesoilchange.com/best-motor-oil-for-winter/ you can find Types of Motor Oil for Cold Weather. I live in Alaska and this oil is very helpful, it also prevents leaks and protects the engine from damage, which is important over long distances.

Last edited:

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
I put in 6 qts the last oil change and it had it just a hair below the hash mark towards the topI marked it in red,the top hole is the maximum level,so it’s in the safe zone
673A12B8-306F-4953-B2D6-54E0D8511C9F.jpeg

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I put in 6 qts the last oil change and it had it just a hair below the hash mark towards the topI marked it in red,the top hole is the maximum level,so it’s in the safe zone
673A12B8-306F-4953-B2D6-54E0D8511C9F.jpeg
I like to run my cars at max line on an oil change. Maybe it is because the car I traded in for the ranger tended to drink oil so starting at full gave me more time before I had to throw more in.

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Mine is not using oil,it’s burning the excess fuel in the oil,by running high rpms

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
My truck tells me when it needs an oil change. Who am I to argue with the peeps who engineered it?
I too experienced additional oil draining from the pan after filter removal, but 5.9 litres filled it without over filling.
Tires get rotated during the seasonal change over.
Sponsored

Last edited: