First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I've had a Roush CAI ordered since last year. I'm getting kind of frustrated. I put on a MagnaFlow cat back, but I would like to finish this up.
I've seen the Roush on YouTube and while it looks quick and easy to install - I notice the large air filter surface area - I like the look of Mishimotos and the HP claims. I don't have a read on the Afe model.

My only concern with these types of upgrades is the filter medium does not keep out as fine particulate matter as the stock one.
Sponsored

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I've seen the Roush on YouTube and while it looks quick and easy to install - I notice the large air filter surface area - I like the look of Mishimotos and the HP claims. I don't have a read on the Afe model.

My only concern with these types of upgrades is the filter medium does not keep out as fine particulate matter as the stock one.
This is also my concern. Greater airflow is wonderful, but if the filter medium doesn’t filter the fine particulates well it’s, in my opinion, a waste of time. That’s why I was hoping Mishi could shed some light on the filter itself.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I learned the same thing. Nothing is free...more air/less filtered. At some point, it's the endpoint that you working for. Even the Ford product allows particulates through. I'd rather have the hp.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hey Steve,

How long will this pre-sale last? I'm in the middle of an upcoming move, and I don't want to have to change addresses on you guys while the delays get sorted out...

From another Steve (possibly cooler too :cool:)
Love the design.

I was just wondering if you could provide any information on the filter that'll be supplied with this intake.
I noticed (after ordering and then submitting a cancel request) that it is not C.A.R.B. cert for California. Will that occur soon or this will not be a market area?

Thanks.
Hey everybody,

So sorry for the delayed response! @RangersLeadTheWay the pre-sale will be ending around the second week of August. If you do order and need to change the shipping address, that shouldn't be a problem, just shoot us a PM here or contact our customer service team.

@Abjectwoe the filter we're using for this intake is a mix between OEM and other performance materials. We use a woven cotton material that filters 99% of particulate down to 5 microns. Woven cotton filter media is much more durable than cotton gauze that's used in many performance filters and is less prone to holes that let large particles through. To help remove smaller particulate and increase the efficiency of the fitler, we use an electrostatically charged oil that actually attracts and holds particulate before it passes through the filter media. Obviously, our dry filters do not have this oil, but you still get the benefit of the woven cotton filter. Our filter also uses a stainless steel mesh vs aluminum mesh that many performance filters use. Stainless steel mesh helps keep the material together. For what it's worth, this is the same filter material and media that Ford uses in their Le Mans GTs.

@FoD CARB certification is in the works for this intake. Unfortunately, it's a long process that probably won't be completed by the time the pre-sale ends. If you do end up ordering during the pre-sale, we can send you a sticker when the intake becomes CARB approved.

Thanks! Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!
-Steve

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Gotta tell you...installed the Roush CAI after waiting for 6 months.
Incredible.

That ranger is awesome!

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Hey everybody,

So sorry for the delayed response! @RangersLeadTheWay the pre-sale will be ending around the second week of August. If you do order and need to change the shipping address, that shouldn't be a problem, just shoot us a PM here or contact our customer service team.

@Abjectwoe the filter we're using for this intake is a mix between OEM and other performance materials. We use a woven cotton material that filters 99% of particulate down to 5 microns. Woven cotton filter media is much more durable than cotton gauze that's used in many performance filters and is less prone to holes that let large particles through. To help remove smaller particulate and increase the efficiency of the fitler, we use an electrostatically charged oil that actually attracts and holds particulate before it passes through the filter media. Obviously, our dry filters do not have this oil, but you still get the benefit of the woven cotton filter. Our filter also uses a stainless steel mesh vs aluminum mesh that many performance filters use. Stainless steel mesh helps keep the material together. For what it's worth, this is the same filter material and media that Ford uses in their Le Mans GTs.

@FoD CARB certification is in the works for this intake. Unfortunately, it's a long process that probably won't be completed by the time the pre-sale ends. If you do end up ordering during the pre-sale, we can send you a sticker when the intake becomes CARB approved.

Thanks! Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!
-Steve
Thanks for the response! Order placed.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The dyno graph's are interesting. It looks like less gains are had with the 93 tune than with stock? I have the 93 perf. tune from 5Star so this part is stopping me from pulling the trigger.
Hey Tyler,

It's important to note that the dyno test for the 93 tune is comparing the 93 tune with the stock intake VS the 93 tune with the Mishimoto intake. It is not comparing the Stock intake and stock tune to the 93 tune with the Mishimoto intake. So the Mishimoto intake made 6.7 hp and 6.6 lb-ft of torque in addition to the gains from the tune.

The reason the increase over the stock intake is lower on the 93 tune is because other components are becoming the bottle neck for power (likely fueling or turbo). This will be true with any tune and any intake.

Does that make sense? If not, just let me know!

-Steve

Reactions: Far

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I really am curious how this will perform with the E85 tune. I am really concerned at the small intake tube that pulls air from the grille/hood area....clearly the flex bellow from the turbo to airbox is of concern as well...

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I really am curious how this will perform with the E85 tune. I am really concerned at the small intake tube that pulls air from the grille/hood area....clearly the flex bellow from the turbo to airbox is of concern as well...
Hey Rob, sorry for the late response. Unless you're upgrading the turbo as well, we would expect this intake to flow more than enough for an E85 tune, and will certainly out-perform the stock intake.

As you may know, the main benefit of E85 is increased knock resistance, which allows you to add more timing and boost, without worrying about detonation. While E85 tunes require a big increase in fuel output, the air requirements will be limited by the stock turbo. Our intake flows more than enough to satisfy the air requirements of the stock turbo at its peak output.

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
-Steve

Last edited:

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Put me on that list of people that need a CARB sticker mailed out once CARB testing is complete - Ordered! :sunglasses:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Put me on that list of people that need a CARB sticker mailed out once CARB testing is complete - Ordered! :sunglasses:
Hi Josh,

Glad to hear from you .... been absent from the forums for a while ... hope all is welll!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.