Not open for further replies.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I have this catch can and installed it a couple months ago. For anyone else who gets it, make sure to remove the driver side tire. I could have saved myself a lot of fighting if I would have done that to begin with. Other than that the only issue I have had so far is that it is a real pain to remove the can to dump it. I don't tighten it anymore than hand tight, but can't get it loose most of the time without removing it from the mount so that I can get a better grip on it.
I've heard people have success installing a 3/8 male brass ball valve on the bottom so you rarely have to remove the can to drain. I have yet to do my install and I'm looking at the feasibility, practicality, and reliability of adding the valve.
Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I have this catch can and installed it a couple months ago. For anyone else who gets it, make sure to remove the driver side tire. I could have saved myself a lot of fighting if I would have done that to begin with. Other than that the only issue I have had so far is that it is a real pain to remove the can to dump it. I don't tighten it anymore than hand tight, but can't get it loose most of the time without removing it from the mount so that I can get a better grip on it.
That's why when I first built my kit I mounted it on the fan shroud so I could access it easier.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Had this installed yesterday. It’ll be interesting to see what it catches after 1,000 miles.
C227E331-B8C4-40BB-8123-A82096FD2B69.jpeg

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I wouldn't wait 1k miles to check. Maybe 500-750, just in case.
I checked it after 75 miles just to make myself familiar with it. I had made 2 or 3 full boost pulls to 85ish mph. It was bone dry. But you are right. Might be a good idea to check a couple times in the first 1000 miles.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I wouldn't wait 1k miles to check. Maybe 500-750, just in case.
I checked the contents of the catch can after a 300+ mile road trip we did yesterday. Mostly freeway at 70/75 mph with an occasional increase to 80/85 for passing.
There was a very noticeable film of oil on the inside. Certainly enough to warrant the use of a catch can. I am glad I did this early on and I am convinced it is a necessary addition.
I'll check it again after another 750/1000 miles.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
Just checked mine today. 1500 mines after my last dump and oil change. It was a lot easier to remove today than it has been in the past with the exception of me turning it the wrong way at first. But here are a few pics; as soon I removed it, a tilted one, after dumping and wiping it out, and the dip stick.

It looks like the pics got out of order while copying them over.

20200804_171551.jpg

20200804_171905.jpg
20200804_171742.jpg
20200804_171556.jpg

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1997 Ford Ranger XLT

installed the MISHIMOTO catch can the other day. Not to difficult but as others have mentioned man there’s not much room in there lol.

I’ve got about 100miles since install and cracked it open just to test it out. Light coat of film so far , interested to see what it catches.

Sigtau125

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariat fx4
Occupation
Medical technologist

installed the MISHIMOTO catch can the other day. Not to difficult but as others have mentioned man there’s not much room in there lol.

I’ve got about 100miles since install and cracked it open just to test it out. Light coat of film so far , interested to see what it catches.
I trying to install mine and am having an awful time. I removed the factory hose just fine but I’m having a terrible time getting the mishimoto hose to lock in on the “red” connector. Now the red connector feels loose. Two questions; any tips on getting in there a little easier? Is the red connector supposed to be loose?

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
I trying to install mine and am having an awful time. I removed the factory hose just fine but I’m having a terrible time getting the mishimoto hose to lock in on the “red” connector. Now the red connector feels loose. Two questions; any tips on getting in there a little easier? Is the red connector supposed to be loose?
Did you remove the wheel? I don't recall my connectors being loose. Once I removed the wheel I was able to get my arm in far enough to push it on for a solid connection.

Weedo

First Name
Weedo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I installed the kit on my truck a few days ago. Agree, just remove the tire before you start. I had a hard time with the hose on the red connector but just keep at it and you’ll eventually get it. My hands took a beating. The whole install took me about 4 hours. I plan to add a drain valve also.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
That's a different color than the last few dumps.

20200925_183553.jpg

Rob R

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Septa Railroad
Thanks! We'll have pricing nailed down closer to the start of the pre-sale in mid-October.

You can check out our article on blow-by and catch cans here: https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2016/01/blow-by-101-what-is-blow-by/ But, to summarize, all engines produce what is known as blow-by. Blow-by is a combination of oil from the cylinder walls, leftover fuel, water vapor, and other byproducts of combustion that are pushed past the piston rings and into the crankcase during the compression and combustion cycles of the engine. In order to keep pressure from building up in the crankcase, engines use a crankcase ventilation (CCV) system to vent that blow-by back into the intake to be burned off in the next cycle. However, some of that blow-by ends up sticking to the back of the intake valves. Because the 2.3L EcoBoost is direct-injected, there's no fuel to washing over the intake valves to clean them off and heat from combustion cooks the blow-by into hard carbon deposits. Eventually those deposits build up enough to inhibit airflow into the cylinder and, if left to continue building up, they can keep the valve from closing. The point of the catch can is to redirect the blow-by and capture it before it reaches the intake. That way, blow-by never builds up on the back of the valves.

I'm curious to hear how Ford addressed this in your experience. They do include an oil separator on the PCV side of the system, but from what we've seen, no factory oil separator is 100% effective and our testing on the Ranger collected significant amounts of blow-by after the oil separator.

Thanks!
-Steve
I was reading all the replies on catch cans my thoughts are up in the air, but I know this much by the time this blow by does any damage to the engine I’ll most likely get the new model

Sign1941

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT/FX4
What's the difference between a 2-port and 3-port catch can?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.