MirrorTap Installation

Goodhero

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Did you ever have problems with the radar detector turning off when the truck turns off at a stop light? My valentine 1 restarts every time and it's really annoying. Was thinking of putting a capacitor on it but not sure if it will cause problems
Sponsored

OP
OP
ToothRanger

ToothRanger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever have problems with the radar detector turning off when the truck turns off at a stop light? My valentine 1 restarts every time and it's really annoying. Was thinking of putting a capacitor on it but not sure if it will cause problems
I have not had that issue. The accessory power should remain on during Auto Start/Stop, which includes power to the camera/mirror system. Can you post a pic of your MirrorTap installation to verify you're tapped into the correct lines?

I recently had my windshield replaced by Safelite. They undid my MirrorTap. On they way out of the windshield shop, the old tech complemented my truck. :) Anyways, re-installation was no big deal, and my UnidenR3 is still saving my a$$.

Goodhero

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
I have not had that issue. The accessory power should remain on during Auto Start/Stop, which includes power to the camera/mirror system. Can you post a pic of your MirrorTap installation to verify you're tapped into the correct lines?

I recently had my windshield replaced by Safelite. They undid my MirrorTap. On they way out of the windshield shop, the old tech complemented my truck. :) Anyways, re-installation was no big deal, and my UnidenR3 is still saving my a$$.
Yes I was able to confirm that it connected exactly like the pictures. Red to the blue and grey wire and black to the middle black wire. Everything looks identical but for some reason it turns off and back on only while the truck is starting after the start/stop. I haven't checked if it does it when turning the key from on to the start position (to start the truck) and back to on. I'm wondering if whatever power source the mirror is on gets cut during engine start. The radar detector also turns off if the key is on acc but the radio stays on but a previous comment says this is acc power?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military

SgtJeep

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Truck driver
I liked this information. It provided a nice clean installation. But, I ran into a problem because of my membership in the ID 10 T club. I cut the plug off my camera wires and wired it up just like this thread teaches. But, and it's a big but too. The camera runs on 5 volts. The voltage adapter is in the plug.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I liked this information. It provided a nice clean installation. But, I ran into a problem because of my membership in the ID 10 T club. I cut the plug off my camera wires and wired it up just like this thread teaches. But, and it's a big but too. The camera runs on 5 volts. The voltage adapter is in the plug.
So the wire you ran it to was 12v? I know its not ideal,, but you already cut the wire. You can take apart the adapter and get to the board itself. It should not be that big. The connection points for the plug is where you would wire the source. make sure to get the pos and neg correct. Then you just throw some heat shrink over the board to seal it up and lay it in a pocket somewhere. Did that make sense?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
So the wire you ran it to was 12v? I know its not ideal,, but you already cut the wire. You can take apart the adapter and get to the board itself. It should not be that big. The connection points for the plug is where you would wire the source. make sure to get the pos and neg correct. Then you just throw some heat shrink over the board to seal it up and lay it in a pocket somewhere. Did that make sense?
Good for you Alex! That’s way above my patience level. ? I’d be on Amazon ordering a new unit as soon as I realized the error. ?

SgtJeep

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Truck driver
Yep, but the wires and connections in there are too tiny for my skill level. I’ve ordered an adapter kit that I hope will get it going.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hey guys - can anyone confirm how many plug pins our 2019 rear view mirror has on the Lariat with auto dimming?

I'm looking to buy the power adapter for my Garmin dash cam (which requires a usb port). Dongar Technologies has a small adapter that goes between the mirror and the cable harness, which has a usb port. https://dongar.tech/products/16pin-ford-f150

The issue is they are asking me to unplug the mirror cable to confirm and I cannot seem to get that plug out. I may need to remove the forward camera cover and try again.

They are saying that newer 2022 Rangers have a 16 pin. The 2019 Rangers are either 3 or a 5 pin.

I realize that I will eventually have to get that plug out to use the adapter, but I may just take it to Ford and have them unplug it so I don't break anything.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
Does anyone know if anything in the rear view mirror/ford camera housing is constant power? I'd like to run my dashcam in the mustang just to the mirror housing instead of all the way to the fuse box. But, I want it to be able to stay on to use the parking mode.

Yes, I could ask in Mustang6G, but I really like this forum better. And, they don't seem to have much in the way of information on this kind of stuff. :LOL:

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
Actually there is a big thread on just that over there.

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
Actually there is a big thread on just that over there.
Is there!? I wasnot able to locate it. Could you point me in the right direction? Maybe a link for those of us (me) that are obviously search challenged?

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Making a new thread for this here so it doesn't get lost in the clutter.
  1. pull down firmly on the upper plastic housing surrounding the camera
  2. locate the light grey connector (w/ 3 wires) and disconnect male & female
    20190318_211611.jpg
  3. Insert positive (red) wiretap below the Blue (switchable 12V) wire
    20190318_212440.jpg
  4. Insert ground (black) wiretap below the Black (ground) wire
    20190318_212526.jpg
  5. Heat shrink your connections
  6. I used a 5/32 bit to make an opening to route my cable through the plastic housing
    20190318_214903.jpg
    20190318_215125.jpg
    20190318_215517.jpg
With so many people using dash cams these days, this should be a standard feature on all vehicles. Thanks for posting.

Wablackwell22

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger
Occupation
Paralegal
Sorry to resurrect this post, but I have a question. To start, I', woefully inept when it comes to all things electrical (or having a wire for the most part) I had a Thinkware dashcam in my Stinger and loved it, and it saved my ass when some guy hit my car in the parking lot of my office. I still have the OBD power cable and want to be able to use the parking mode feature of my dashcam, HOWEVER I also have an Unleashed tune and want to keep the tuner box plugged into the obdii port for boost gauge purposes. Anyone have a recommendation on how I could power the dash cam when the truck is off AND maintain the functionality of the SCT tuner?

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Sorry to resurrect this post, but I have a question. To start, I', woefully inept when it comes to all things electrical (or having a wire for the most part) I had a Thinkware dashcam in my Stinger and loved it, and it saved my ass when some guy hit my car in the parking lot of my office. I still have the OBD power cable and want to be able to use the parking mode feature of my dashcam, HOWEVER I also have an Unleashed tune and want to keep the tuner box plugged into the obdii port for boost gauge purposes. Anyone have a recommendation on how I could power the dash cam when the truck is off AND maintain the functionality of the SCT tuner?
Something like this might solve your issues (not necessarily a recommendation, just the first one that showed up in the google box)

https://bankspower.com/products/sen...bs4R1QjOzUzyFQyGsXFNJaqKygD1EaKxoC0m4QAvD_BwE
Sponsored