Dashcam Install

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Has anyone found a easy way to gain access to the mirror wiring plug? I don't see how to get to the plug, maybe the big housing mounted to the windshield needs to come off? I don't want to break anything so I'm hoping somebody has figured out how to get to it.

I would expect that if your windshield is replaced, they would have to remove that housing,
1653743538374.png
Sponsored

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Has anyone found a easy way to gain access to the mirror wiring plug? I don't see how to get to the plug, maybe the big housing mounted to the windshield needs to come off? I don't want to break anything so I'm hoping somebody has figured out how to get to it.

I would expect that if your windshield is replaced, they would have to remove that housing,
1653743538374.png
From my sig:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/dashcam-install.1705/page-9#post-164384

See the post after that as well.

IIRC you just have to give'r

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Great job but I'd be afraid I'd break the housing. lol Is the power from it constant or just when the truck is on? I ask because mine has the parking module which you need power for it to work.
The points I used are only powered when the ignition is on, but I think there are also points that are always-on as well.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The points I used are only powered when the ignition is on, but I think there are also points that are always-on as well.
Good to know, Thx! I used an OBD cable because I like that I can just unplug it if I'm going to be parked in my garage for a few days. It does go into sleep mode but sometimes I'm getting stuff in/out of the truck so it's constantly waking up and filming the wall.

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator
GPS module went bad, luckily all of 17 bucks on Amazon.

Took the opportunity to hide the cabling that I was kind of ghetto on first time. That rear view mirror cover over the lane assist camera ain't no joke to get off.

Viofo GPS module that went bad.
20221218_173241.jpg

Clean cabling going through hole I made.
20221218_173455.jpg

20221218_173432.jpg

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread it made my install today MUCH easier having read the entire thread in advance!!

@j0shm1lls -- thanks for all your info, the coat hanger suggestion was a good call, though, Sysadmin here so glow stick to the rescue lol
PXL_20220220_165236279.jpg

@FiveSeven -- Your writeup was most helpful because I basically have the same hardware as I installed an A129 Pro duo so thank you for that.

Whoever mentioned the fuse cables having to be trimmed down which I can't seem to find the comments now that I'm looking for them, thanks for saving me from insanity. Took my Dremel to mine to get them to fit.

PXL_20220220_220258465.jpg

PXL_20220221_151830485.jpg

PXL_20220221_151843054.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
GPS module went bad, luckily all of 17 bucks on Amazon.

Took the opportunity to hide the cabling that I was kind of ghetto on first time. That rear view mirror cover over the lane assist camera ain't no joke to get off.

Viofo GPS module that went bad.
20221218_173241.jpg

Clean cabling going through hole I made.
20221218_173455.jpg

20221218_173432.jpg
How did you get the large lower housing off? I tried when I installed my original cam but I think I gave up on it.

I just upgraded to a newer cam (Vantrue E2) this weekend and still couldn't get that lower housing off (tho I didn't really need to).

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator
I looked last night and this am and can't find it but someone posted a picture from a document showing the removal procedure. There are two clips on the smaller top piece and it's supposed to remove top down and then there's 4 in the bottom larger piece. I used trim removal tools and just gradually pulled harder and harder. The bottom one really took some work I got the bottom two clips to release before the top two.

How neither broke, I don't know.

How did you get the large lower housing off? I tried when I installed my original cam but I think I gave up on it.

I just upgraded to a newer cam (Vantrue E2) this weekend and still couldn't get that lower housing off (tho I didn't really need to).

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I tried to get mine off to no avail. I thought for sure i would going to brake something. I'm still looking at the cord going down to the power port :(

I recently got a chip in my windshield and will need to have that repaired. I was going to ask the tech if he had to remove one of these to replace a factory ranger windshield. I'm hoping they have a trick or two on how to get that thing off. I'll let y'all know if that works out.
Sponsored