Mega blade thread

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Well, this is not going to look pretty, yet these are the blades I've made myself with my diy forge, and it's the only ones I've made. I have never done this before and not continued since (it's been two years ago, before I got the new projects toy - the ranger ;)).

The three ones on the left are made from a Peugeot 307 front coil spring. I nearly nailed the quenching and tempering on all of them, they are all kitchen knifes, different blade shapes. The one on the right it's the one I am the most proud of, it's made out of an old wrench that I found. It's a yanagiba like (japanese kitchen knife special for suhsi), single edged blade. Unfortunately during quenching I caught a bend that I could not fully address. OTOH, that bend actually helps next to the single edge to slice through meat.

They catch rust, we are using them in the kitchen and if we are not careful with drying them out after use, they get that patina which may put people off, yet they are clean before use. My wife does not like a few, thus those I am only occasionally use myself :).

The one on the left still has forge scale on it (completely stuck in), I did not want to clean it through as it is embossed in, due to my hammering. Cleaning it would require grinding too much.

IMG_2248.jpg
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
back to the topic at hand, I've been interested in adding a knife or two. Anyone have experience with CRKT knives? A local gun shop sells them and they look nice.
I kinda like this one
1635154563462.png
I'm a big fan of flippers.

The Sandvik 12C27 steel it's made of is technically stainless, so corrosion shouldn't be a problem. Doesn't seem to be an especially hard steel, so you'll probably need to reestablish the edge periodically. But it should take a nice edge.

Should be good value folder.

I like my cheap little CRKT route knife. See my post on page 1.
Well, this is not going to look pretty, yet these are the blades I've made myself with my diy forge, and it's the only ones I've made. I have never done this before and not continued since (it's been two years ago, before I got the new projects toy - the ranger ;)).

The three ones on the left are made from a Peugeot 307 front coil spring. I nearly nailed the quenching and tempering on all of them, they are all kitchen knifes, different blade shapes. The one on the right it's the one I am the most proud of, it's made out of an old wrench that I found. It's a yanagiba like (japanese kitchen knife special for suhsi), single edged blade. Unfortunately during quenching I caught a bend that I could not fully address. OTOH, that bend actually helps next to the single edge to slice through meat.

They catch rust, we are using them in the kitchen and if we are not careful with drying them out after use, they get that patina which may put people off, yet they are clean before use. My wife does not like a few, thus those I am only occasionally use myself :).

The one on the left still has forge scale on it (completely stuck in), I did not want to clean it through as it is embossed in, due to my hammering. Cleaning it would require grinding too much.

IMG_2248.jpg
Super cool! I'd love to try this someday

OP
OP
Megawatt

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
This is a spyderco delica4. They delica Has been made since 1990 (currently on generation 4) it is one of their main selling models. IMO it is a perfect edc, the 2.9” blade length makes it is legal in most all states to carry. The pocket clip is movable to all 4 positions to suit your carry style. Tip up or down, blade forward or backward.

They make many high quality exotic steels (and common steels like VG-10) and grinds for the delica 4. This model is a 3 piece sandwich steel. There are two layers of SUS410 stainless steel over HAP40 carbon steel. The stainless prevents rust and the carbon layer is the cutting edge that has taken on a patina.

This one makes it into my daily rotation, I have carried it for 15 years. If your looking for a edc, the delica4 has to be considered. They color of the scales matches the steel model, so a delica 4 in burnt orange is a hap40/SUS410 blade.

1E68CCA0-0002-4C18-BAAE-3A3E91BD2444.jpeg

89E08EB3-508A-4BF8-816E-027F346F95B5.jpeg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
This is a spyderco delica4. They delica Has been made since 1990 (currently on generation 4) it is one of their main selling models. IMO it is a perfect edc, the 2.9” blade length makes it is legal in most all states to carry. The pocket clip is movable to all 4 positions to suit your carry style. Tip up or down, blade forward or backward.

They make many high quality exotic steels (and common steels like VG-10) and grinds for the delica 4. This model is a 3 piece sandwich steel. There are two layers of SUS410 stainless steel over HAP40 carbon steel. The stainless prevents rust and the carbon layer is the cutting edge that has taken on a patina.

This one makes it into my daily rotation, I have carried it for 15 years. If your looking for a edc, the delica4 has to be considered. They color of the scales matches the steel model, so a delica 4 in burnt orange is a hap40/SUS410 blade.

1E68CCA0-0002-4C18-BAAE-3A3E91BD2444.jpeg

89E08EB3-508A-4BF8-816E-027F346F95B5.jpeg
I thought the Hap40 Delica Sprint run was about 5 years ago, not 15. Damn I'm getting old.

How do you like the Hap40?

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Megawatt

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I thought the Hap40 Delica Sprint run was about 5 years ago, not 15. Damn I'm getting old.

How do you like the Hap40?

I really like the HAP40 sandwiches. It keeps a edge a very long tine but sharpens very readily since it’s carbon steel. I have a Hap40 Japanese petty knife for the kitchen and it is the most used knife in the house. Very nice patina on that blade I will post up soon.

It’s kinda weird there are three sheets of steel in that pic on that little blade.

Reactions: Doc

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I really like the HAP40 sandwiches. It keeps a edge a very long tine but sharpens very readily since it’s carbon steel. I have a Hap40 Japanese petty knife for the kitchen and it is the most used knife in the house. Very nice patina on that blade I will post up soon.

It’s kinda weird there are three sheets of steel in that pic on that little blade.
I love the edge holding capabilities of my Manix II in Maxomet steel. But it is quite brittle. I'd bet the sandwich helps that out immensely on the Hap40 blades.

I'd really like to get in on some more of the exotic steels that Spyderco uses, but I always seem to miss out on the sprint runs.

As you can see from my other posts I'm a HUGE Spyderco fanboy. Their customer service is unparalleled, and any "knife guy" should have their showroom in the itinerary when visiting Denver.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I posted in the gun thread, but I just got this last week. It's AEB-L and manufactured by Dauntless MFG under contract to GypsyEDC. The g10 is a nice feeling material. Heavier than it looks.

20211021_163601.jpg

OP
OP
Megawatt

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Here is my Hap40 petty size knife with a Japanese style handle. Favorite and most used knife in the house. I did a internet search for Japanese knives and easily found a place to buy it. I sharpen it once or twice a year. Best $50 I spent on a blade.

55C1030D-00E8-4A76-BE1F-BFDAC7CB2742.jpeg

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I tend to lose my knives… I either loan them out never to be seen again, drop it in the field somewhere, or use it and leave it somewhere so I don’t buy expensive knives. Of the folding knives I have, the Coldsteel FinnWolf is my favorite- I love the useful shape of the puuko type blade and the back is flat to allow as a flint striker. It’s sharp out the box, but not sure if it was user error (loaned to a friend) but the edge seemed to roll easily. Anyway, it was easy to resharpen and it’s my edc.
I now have two- one I decided to make a new “handle” for out of Hawaiian Koa wood. The thing about koa wood is that when properly polished, you can see layers dancing in the wood. Reminds me of the tiger’s eye stones.

29D2CB29-D7DC-49CC-B44D-A9F12D21C33F.jpeg

F51C2EAB-AF9D-40EB-8AD3-A17F3682F0C0.jpeg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
So, I didn't get to it during football, I was too busy watching a disheartening defeat.

So I finally got to work a bit and did a little maintenance today. I cleaned, tightened, oiled, and sharpened my Delica. I also sharpened my Minimalist while I had things out.

20211029_145120.jpg

As I said before I'm a Spyderco fanoy, a SpyderHo if you will. The additional Sharpmaker stones are an UltraFine, and a Cubic Boron Nitride, extra coarse.

I use the SharpMaker to maintain my simple blades and finish with a leather strop. The blades with a more difficult profile like my Hanan and KaraHawk go with me when I visit the Spyderco outlet. They'll sharpen a blade for you for free while you browse the showroom.

What do you guys use to sharpen?

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The first good knife I ever bought was the Zero Tolerance ZT 0350. Excellent knife.
Ws6bCwguT15I0HkwYDSvfqz0R=w980-h1306-no?authuser=0.jpg

Added this to my cart on Amazon and left it there. Bought something else and wasn't paying attention. Got my something else and this was a nice surprise to join it. Gerber Flat Iron.
pQFIMBmX9ajHeb06ykUuAweeU=w980-h1306-no?authuser=0.jpg

Bought the Civivi from a friend. Not my favorite knife, but a fun one to keep in my collection box.
XdGhsft9QClAMCi_m9Gh_9PbG=w980-h1306-no?authuser=0.jpg

I picked up the Vox Knaes Suru from Drop.com. The color is an exclusive from them. Vox Knaes does some killer knives in this lineup and I would love to add a few more. But... money...
3TGK16zQN35CtB-LbHS2lH2BC=w980-h1306-no?authuser=0.jpg

Bought the Para 3 from Spyderco in Golden, Colorado. I love this knife. It's one of two I carry every day now.
0ShWZqZTjmLDjo2o9h15M4_oy=w980-h1306-no?authuser=0.jpg

I got this WE Banter from Blade HQ. This is my 'dress' carry. It's so light and nimble that I forget I have it when I am wearing nice clothes (read: lighter, dress).
GtmBDVHCPNxPvi0Y1dq202AC5=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

And my all time favorite knife: the SpyderCo Paramilitary 2 Tanto. Picked this up on the Blade HQ second release. It's a BHQ exclusive and hard to come by. It's dope though.
AYIU6_DRhF8YwYjsKJNjP3dtU=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

The Para 2 is my second favorite knife to carry every day.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
The first good knife I ever bought was the Zero Tolerance ZT 0350. Excellent knife.
Ws6bCwguT15I0HkwYDSvfqz0R=w980-h1306-no?authuser=0.jpg

Added this to my cart on Amazon and left it there. Bought something else and wasn't paying attention. Got my something else and this was a nice surprise to join it. Gerber Flat Iron.
pQFIMBmX9ajHeb06ykUuAweeU=w980-h1306-no?authuser=0.jpg

Bought the Civivi from a friend. Not my favorite knife, but a fun one to keep in my collection box.
XdGhsft9QClAMCi_m9Gh_9PbG=w980-h1306-no?authuser=0.jpg

I picked up the Vox Knaes Suru from Drop.com. The color is an exclusive from them. Vox Knaes does some killer knives in this lineup and I would love to add a few more. But... money...
3TGK16zQN35CtB-LbHS2lH2BC=w980-h1306-no?authuser=0.jpg

Bought the Para 3 from Spyderco in Golden, Colorado. I love this knife. It's one of two I carry every day now.
0ShWZqZTjmLDjo2o9h15M4_oy=w980-h1306-no?authuser=0.jpg

I got this WE Banter from Blade HQ. This is my 'dress' carry. It's so light and nimble that I forget I have it when I am wearing nice clothes (read: lighter, dress).
GtmBDVHCPNxPvi0Y1dq202AC5=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

And my all time favorite knife: the SpyderCo Paramilitary 2 Tanto. Picked this up on the Blade HQ second release. It's a BHQ exclusive and hard to come by. It's dope though.
AYIU6_DRhF8YwYjsKJNjP3dtU=w1280-h960-no?authuser=0.jpg

The Para 2 is my second favorite knife to carry every day.
Love that Vox, and the tanto PM. Very nice!

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
I thought guns in Canada were a no-no……
That’s not entirely true. Prime Minister Freeland says we can keep any gun whose name starts with “Nerf”.
…..for now.

Last edited: