First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Cyber Security Engineer
24 here too, just playing retired this week.
Man I'm jealous. 5 days this week and 5 consulting gigs lasting about 10 hours a day. Sucked ass, I have my new wheel spacers here to get these 33's out to fill my fender flares and still haven't had a chance to install.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SuperSteve

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Cyber Security Engineer
A new gen 3 or a used gen 1 or 2?
I want to know what we're comparing.
Also, are you looking at offroading with speed?
Are you considering upgrading the performance of the engine as well as the suspension, or only the performance of the engine?
Where are you located?
I'll give you a well rounded comparison with those factors.
Thanks for the reply. It's a 2020. Currently setting leveled with 33's. Do some light hauling around the property and such but really just looking for some options to pep the truck up instead of buying overly priced raptors or a trx right now. Obviously this truck is not in the same category at all. I come from the subaru world and am very aware and read up on tuning, aftermarket parts, etc, etc... At the end of the day I just want to push my truck up to the 300whp mark or above for the giggles factor.

If I decide to keep the truck I'm debating on getting rid of the leveling kit and going with the APG mid runner kit since the Pro-Runner kit is stupid expensive even if I go and install myself. I'm located in Pittsburgh PA. Already called every tuner with a dyno here and none will touch a ranger. Even the ford oriented tuners say no.

OP
OP

SuperSteve

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Cyber Security Engineer
I drove a stock wrangler with just 33's and it was like driving a slow brick. I felt everything in the rode and it took forever to get up to speed.

I've never seen the forum like this everyone just got.tired of frenchy hopping on every thread recommending parts that are irrelevant as well as bashing certain companies. So this thread got in the crossfire not a big deal.

I'm stuck between 5star and unleashed.
I'm really looking at unleashed. All my research over the past few months and I've seen some great reviews so far.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Thanks for the reply. It's a 2020. Currently setting leveled with 33's. Do some light hauling around the property and such but really just looking for some options to pep the truck up instead of buying overly priced raptors or a trx right now. Obviously this truck is not in the same category at all. I come from the subaru world and am very aware and read up on tuning, aftermarket parts, etc, etc... At the end of the day I just want to push my truck up to the 300whp mark or above for the giggles factor.

If I decide to keep the truck I'm debating on getting rid of the leveling kit and going with the APG mid runner kit since the Pro-Runner kit is stupid expensive even if I go and install myself. I'm located in Pittsburgh PA. Already called every tuner with a dyno here and none will touch a ranger. Even the ford oriented tuners say no.
I initially wanted to know what raptor you were comparing the ranger to (gen 1, gen 2, or a gen 3) as they have their differences, but I think I can kinda see what you want. You want more performance and heck why not beef up the suspension. I understand the hesitation to go long travel from APG which was my personal reason along with some other small things, but they are a great company that makes some of the sickest rangers if you can fork over the dough, we all have different budgets and that's fine.

Going mid travel such as the mid travel kit saves you from buying fiberglass (more importantly the paint) as the combo is around $3500 (cheapest). This would require buying the glass on sale and finding a good balance of cheap work and a good job for the paint. Plus their blue anodized mid runner control arms are the sickest looking arms yet.

For performance I think a good intake, downpipe, exhaust, and tune might get you to 300 rwhp but ask around. Also, if you're continuously flooring it maybe a intercooler and pipes would help.

I'm currently $17,153 into parts myself.

Still not too sure what direction your headed or what your ultimate goal is.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sent an email to 5 star today asking what hp and torque I should see with the spd downpipe. I got a reply about (to the wheels) +15 to 18 hp and +20 torque plus quicker spool. I then got a call as well from Richie (or Richy) who let me know they have downpipes in stock (SPD catted aluminized steel and SPD catted stainless steel) and that an updated tune is free if you buy the DP from them.

Super helpful

Gonna buy my DP in 4 weeks!

Last edited:
OP
OP

SuperSteve

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Cyber Security Engineer
I bought the 5 star BDX SCT last night lol. I'm so excited!
To answer what I'm really out to get here. Mainly would like somewhere around 300 - 325 at the wheels. I'm super confused by most posts because some make it seem like that just won't happen with bolt ons and tuning. Was debating on that turbo upgrade that Stage3 has but at the same time I'm also in the same mindset of if you want big power buy a vehicle that can produce it. Chose the ranger over a 2nd Gen Raptor in 2019 due to the city I was living in. I would definitely like to stick with my ranger if possible so I thought I'd ask here what people recommended or if my goals were possible at all.

Sounds like 5* is hooking you up dude. May have to look at what they can do for me and send an email over. I can rent dyno time at a shop close. Maybe they would be open to remote session tuning my ranger for some more specific tuning instead of e-tunes.

I know I wanted to go with an intake, exhaust, MAYBE an intercooler, and a downpipe.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
That’s exactly what I got. If you have any questions let me know. You are gonna love it. What tunes did you get?
I bought the 5 star BDX SCT last night lol. I'm so excited!

Reactions: Doc

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
300whp is doable with just a tune. The torque increase is what you will Really feel. The tune will allow boost to come in way earlier and not limited like factory.
To answer what I'm really out to get here. Mainly would like somewhere around 300 - 325 at the wheels. I'm super confused by most posts because some make it seem like that just won't happen with bolt ons and tuning. Was debating on that turbo upgrade that Stage3 has but at the same time I'm also in the same mindset of if you want big power buy a vehicle that can produce it. Chose the ranger over a 2nd Gen Raptor in 2019 due to the city I was living in. I would definitely like to stick with my ranger if possible so I thought I'd ask here what people recommended or if my goals were possible at all.

Sounds like 5* is hooking you up dude. May have to look at what they can do for me and send an email over. I can rent dyno time at a shop close. Maybe they would be open to remote session tuning my ranger for some more specific tuning instead of e-tunes.

I know I wanted to go with an intake, exhaust, MAYBE an intercooler, and a downpipe.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Well, there is a huuuge price gap between the 2 haha. You can do so much to the ranger to make it better than a gen 2 raptor at the gen 2 price.

When I'm constantly flooring it I feel like the intercooler gets hot and cuts power but that is the butt dyno

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s exactly what I got. If you have any questions let me know. You are gonna love it. What tunes did you get?
93 performance
93 daily/tow
85+ adaptive octane

Haven't put anything but 93 in it since I bought it but I have to include the adaptive one just in case!

OP
OP

SuperSteve

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Cyber Security Engineer
Well, there is a huuuge price gap between the 2 haha. You can do so much to the ranger to make it better than a gen 2 raptor at the gen 2 price.

When I'm constantly flooring it I feel like the intercooler gets hot and cuts power but that is the butt dyno
I'm fortunate that with my job I can afford the raptor. But my adult brain says "DO NOT BUY A 75 THOUSAND DOLLAR VEHICLE".

Child Brain "DO IT BITCH"

So here I am hoping to push a little more to scratch the itch for some HP before I go all in on a $1200 truck payment.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm fortunate that with my job I can afford the raptor. But my adult brain says "DO NOT BUY A 75 THOUSAND DOLLAR VEHICLE".

Child Brain "DO IT BITCH"

So here I am hoping to push a little more to scratch the itch for some HP before I go all in on a $1200 truck payment.
I think fixing up a ranger how you like it will either really satisfy you or maybe you'll never get it how you like it and then you can sell it and get a raptor and really appreciate the raptor even more. But who knows.

So I asked 5 star about the 93 performance tune and I was sent a graph showing +75 HP and +92 torque to the wheels over 93 octane stock, not 87 octane.

OP
OP

SuperSteve

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Cyber Security Engineer
I think fixing up a ranger how you like it will either really satisfy you or maybe you'll never get it how you like it and then you can sell it and get a raptor and really appreciate the raptor even more. But who knows.

So I asked 5 star about the 93 performance tune and I was sent a graph showing +75 HP and +92 torque to the wheels over 93 octane stock, not 87 octane.
I appreciate the feedback man. Thanks for giving me a few directions to look on this little adventure here!

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I appreciate the feedback man. Thanks for giving me a few directions to look on this little adventure here!
33” tires will have to be adjusted to the tune..lotta drag, might try a Dyno ..
Sponsored