Lost my GPS antenna in the car wash!

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
or use a waterless wash like meguiars D115 waterless car detailer.
I really like the Meguiars waterless car wash for doing a final cleaning before waxing. Great stuff.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So just lie to Ma Ford? I thought we hated it when they did that to us! Ha!
A taste of their own medicine! ? Besides it should've never come off if it were attached right. I never bring my Ranger through any car washes (always hand wash) but I did with my Tacoma. Never had one come off or even loose.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If you noticed it right after the car wash then talk to them. Looks like it ripped the thing clear off. I don't normally go to car washes so I wonder how much force the brushes had to rip that thing clear out. I also wonder if the long factory antenna got caught in something.

As for Ford and a warranty claim. If you go that route you should be totally honest. Tell them it happened in a car wash and give them the name and address of the place you went to. Then see what they say. I get the point even in a car wash things should not be getting torn off the vehicle.

Oh and when you get it replaced get a Stubby JR antenna if you plan to go through car washes again or in low clearance areas. That way maybe you don't end up like that again and what happened to this person:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...led-out-of-your-roof-pictures-included.15034/

Last edited:

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
A taste of their own medicine! ? Besides it should've never come off if it were attached right. I never bring my Ranger through any car washes (always hand wash) but I did with my Tacoma. Never had one come off or even loose.
in the words of Michael Anthony…
“come on Dave; gimme a break”

attached properly? I bet I can pry mine off the roof too, but that’s not the intended use… lol

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I bet if I had to remove mine for paint work or something, it would be stuck on that roof like the sword Excalibur stuck in stone, but his falls off in the car wash lol.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

attached properly? I bet I can pry mine off the roof too, but that’s not the intended use… lol
I'm just a little sour towards Ford lately so don't mind my Ford bashing posts. :)

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
See, now we all have to go out and check our antennas to be sure they're not coming loose...or possibly already gone.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase

I ran my VW shark fin into the bottom of a concrete beam and it just snapped the fin off. Everything else stayed up. Still there, covered in a 2x2 piece of Gorilla tape.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,
I went through the car wash this weekend and ended up losing the antenna. The car wash doesn't have it, do you think this could be a warranty claim? ?
7CC2D763-BB1B-464B-9950-90BE264DB05A.jpeg
I only do touchless, for obvious reasons...?

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,
I went through the car wash this weekend and ended up losing the antenna. The car wash doesn't have it, do you think this could be a warranty claim? ?
7CC2D763-BB1B-464B-9950-90BE264DB05A.jpeg
Hi Mathew,

We actually do a carwash test as part of the development of a new vehicle. The Ranger passed the carwash testing. There are many car washes in the Detroit area and the prototypes are run through these car washes time and time again, including video if there is a problem and there is a redesign and retest until the antenna passes undamaged over a half dozen times or more depending on the program requirements.

To have something like this happen indicates a malfunction of the car wash equipment more that the design of the antenna.

This is not a case of "yeah...that looks good". There is an actual rigorous test procedure...we usually give this to Engineering Trainees as you likely will get quite wet at times during the testing process....

I have had my Ranger through several brush type car washes in several cities and never had a hint of a problem...

Best,
Phil

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
I’ve been going to only touchless washes since I got my Ranger but mostly because it’s the only kind along my normal drive but now I’ll make sure to never go through ones with brushes.

The really tall antenna in the ranger was a concern of mine so I also went to a stubby.

I can’t believe it ripped not only your antenna off but the wires also. Next car through the was is lucky it wasn’t tangled up in the brushes and get their vehicle whipped up good by it.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Most drive thru car washes that use brushes have a sign advising to remove the antenna before proceeding. Not having one usually voids their insurance for antenna related damage.
Sponsored