Looking to get a Ranger.. I have a few questions too obtuse for a salesman.

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Breadbox
Hey guys. I've been eyeballing the new rangers since they've come out and I think I'm pick one up. It has been 20 years since I went with my dad to the dealership to pick up the ranger he's still driving today and it would be pretty cool to pick one up of my own. I have a few lingering questions that googling isn't helping with.

First off, I'm looking to get an FX2 truck. I test drove a regular truck and the suspension made me carsick on the highway. I test drove an FX4 hoping the off road suspension would alter the behavior enough to alleviate the carsickness and it seems to have. I don't need 4WD, and want FX2 just for the ride and the rear locker that could be useful occasionally.

That being said, I can't confirm exactly what the FX2 entails. Does it also come with the hankook dynapro tires? Does it get the half inch lift that 4x4 gets despite it being 2WD? How do you engage the locker? To my knowledge most trucks require you to be in 4LO to use the rear locker. Can you just flip it on at will? Also does it even have the same suspension setup as the FX4? Was my FX4 test drive actually analogous?

I was looking at a supercab xlt with the FX2 package, which I think is a unicorn that I'll need to order. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to get one built? I see data from when the truck launched but it's certainly different now.

I would be doing some pretty decent towing with the truck. 3-4,000 lbs trailer with potentially a dirt bike or two in the bed. I'd imagine the FX2 package lowers the payload figure, but I can't find any information. If I'm looking at potentially 600 pounds of dirt bikes, 400 pounds of tongue weight, and a couple dudes in the truck I really need that full 1800-ish payload.

How does the 10-speed transmission shift now? I heard some iffy things about it when it came out, but in the test drives it felt fine and I believe there have been some software updates. I've only owned manual transmission vehicles previously because automatics annoyed me, so maybe it feels fine to me because I'm expecting bad?

Does the optional ford exhaust sound any good? Ecoboost mustangs always sounded like ass to me, but the truck is different so I don't know. I probably won't get it but I'm curious.

Anyways, that's my wall of text. Thanks if you made it this far and have any input.
Sponsored

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
I can help with two of the questions.

It took Ford three months to build and deliver my 2020 Ranger 4X2 STX. Ordered in July, picked up first week in October.

I have the optional Ford Performance/Borla exhaust and I like it. Some people might not like it because it's actually kinda tame, in my opinion. You'll hear it under acceleration, but it sounds almost stock at cruising speed. (45-50 MPH) I am fine with that. :)

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Good morning Texas. I'll let someone else answer the FX2 question as I not very educated on that. However the 10 spd has come a long way since their debut. The one in my wife's '18 Mustang had some funky shifts, but after a reprogramming it's been great ever since. The one in my Ranger came out the box good. They do have learning process they go through to adapt to your style of driving though. With only 500 miles on my Ranger the 10 spd is coming alone nicely. The only thing I have to get used to is it will lug the engine in slow moving traffic. I'm sure that is the programming from Ford to eke out millionth of an ounce of gas mileage. If it gets to bad I just pull it into sport mode, and it will stay in a lower gear to stop that. Also, I do really enjoy the Ranger. As far as the special order, I ordered mine on 09/01, and it arrived at the dealer on 12/04. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Breadbox
I can help with two of the questions.

It took Ford three months to build and deliver my 2020 Ranger 4X2 STX. Ordered in July, picked up first week in October.

I have the optional Ford Performance/Borla exhaust and I like it. Some people might not like it because it's actually kinda tame, in my opinion. You'll hear it under acceleration, but it sounds almost stock at cruising speed. (45-50 MPH) I am fine with that. :)
I was kind of expecting around 3 months. I don't need the truck until I have the money to buy my trailer and I need to do the 1,000 mile break-in before towing so I'd to to have the timing sync up reasonably well.

Toph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cactus Gray Ranger 301a, FX4
Occupation
Teacher
Hey guys. I've been eyeballing the new rangers since they've come out and I think I'm pick one up. It has been 20 years since I went with my dad to the dealership to pick up the ranger he's still driving today and it would be pretty cool to pick one up of my own. I have a few lingering questions that googling isn't helping with.

First off, I'm looking to get an FX2 truck. I test drove a regular truck and the suspension made me carsick on the highway. I test drove an FX4 hoping the off road suspension would alter the behavior enough to alleviate the carsickness and it seems to have. I don't need 4WD, and want FX2 just for the ride and the rear locker that could be useful occasionally.

That being said, I can't confirm exactly what the FX2 entails. Does it also come with the hankook dynapro tires? Does it get the half inch lift that 4x4 gets despite it being 2WD? How do you engage the locker? To my knowledge most trucks require you to be in 4LO to use the rear locker. Can you just flip it on at will? Also does it even have the same suspension setup as the FX4? Was my FX4 test drive actually analogous?

I was looking at a supercab xlt with the FX2 package, which I think is a unicorn that I'll need to order. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to get one built? I see data from when the truck launched but it's certainly different now.

I would be doing some pretty decent towing with the truck. 3-4,000 lbs trailer with potentially a dirt bike or two in the bed. I'd imagine the FX2 package lowers the payload figure, but I can't find any information. If I'm looking at potentially 600 pounds of dirt bikes, 400 pounds of tongue weight, and a couple dudes in the truck I really need that full 1800-ish payload.

How does the 10-speed transmission shift now? I heard some iffy things about it when it came out, but in the test drives it felt fine and I believe there have been some software updates. I've only owned manual transmission vehicles previously because automatics annoyed me, so maybe it feels fine to me because I'm expecting bad?

Does the optional ford exhaust sound any good? Ecoboost mustangs always sounded like ass to me, but the truck is different so I don't know. I probably won't get it but I'm curious.

Anyways, that's my wall of text. Thanks if you made it this far and have any input.
RE: the order time -- I ordered my BTO Ranger last Tuesday and yesterday got the VIN. It looks like it is scheduled to be built near the end of January.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Breadbox
its interesting, i went onling to see if i could find any further info for the FX2...i did a build and price to see if there was any foot notes available....
the only selection was a 4X4 for the 2020 model. there was no option for a 2 wheel drive.

odd.

but i do recall that the FX2 has all the FX4 features. If I can find a link to verify it, i will come back and update this post.

EDIT*

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/14/ford-ranger-fx2-off-road-package/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIOpwFEB0hpZ28_x_e0J_yESJGeKmIZIISzQrxGeQPdLuTXVfBW1WQppZDNXQ3USdohqMEA6eQs2vBQVyyDeq5svrFXeSN7ssk0j6ezE1MW88GLYTY77Z4nVVYwk1fiQhxfFFvredKvZNa-BeY64WOVlc1lqoRv35rOVgI7VQU2r#:~:text=The 2020 Ford Ranger is,four-wheel-drive models.

Note: " Ford’s Terrain Management System and Trail Control are not along for the ride here "
I heard in one review that the Ranger is 4x4 only in Canada, not sure the extent of the truth there.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I heard in one review that the Ranger is 4x4 only in Canada, not sure the extent of the truth there.
That’s my understanding as well. Only 4WD here. Maybe @RANGER PRIDE is in Vancouver, WA and not Vancouver, BC?

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I just rolled by my local dealer here and checked out an FX2 - they have both a red and a white supercab. Might not be as hard to find as you think!

Basically exactly the same as my 2019 FX4 without actual 4x4 and has no terrain management/trail control. Same suspension, front skids, and height as my stock truck.

You can engage the rear locker at any point. Just press teh button on the console and the icon appears on the dash. I've had to use it backing up a 800lb trailer in soft, wet grass while the truck was unloaded and it works well.

The dealer believes that the FX package does not change the payload, but I'm not sure myself either. Even if it did you'd still probably have the 1600-ish of the 4x4 model.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Basically exactly the same as my 2019 FX4 without actual 4x4 and has no terrain management/trail control. Same suspension, front skids, and height as my stock truck.
Did you actually get underneath and look? My recollection is that the FX2 skid plate is purely for looks and doesn't actually extend back,

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
I looked all over GA and FL for 4wd supercab, and the only FX2 I ran across was a XLT in Hardeeville SC in lightning blue. Good luck finding one, The wait is worth it.

Blue FX2.PNG

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
You asked a truck bed load of questions (lol). I think most all have been addressed. Thinking one answer came from a dealer being asked and he "thought" the payload didn't change with the fx2. That is correct. Page 222 of the manual shows max tow without trailer brake is 1,650 lbs. With trailer brake it's 7,500. Big note here--trailer brake is not a factory option or installed. Search here and you will find lots of data referencing the trailer brake. Additionally, trailer nose weight (that's what the manual calls it) is limited to 750 lbs with the heavy duty hitch.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
truth, its called a front underbody guard. its not the same at the FX4 skid plate.
Yep, misspoke. Still getting off 2 decades of Jeep speak. Same underbody guard, bash plate, front silver thingy lol It does not extend back like the FX4.

These two were at one of the 3 dealers here in Columbia SC.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
If the FX2 had a real skid plate, and I could have found one, that might have been my first choice. Given that it was decorative,I couldn't find one for sale, and that I got the FX4 package added for less than dealer cost, I went with it.

If it were me I'd do a cost compare of a regular 4x2 with a locker with aftermarket/ford performance lift/tires/skid plate.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Here's the data for the rear locking differential.

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 163 - Locking Rear Differential.jpg
Sponsored