First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
How much weight are you pulling that you get less than 10 mpg?
PXL_20201012_170049196.jpg

All in, about 4500-5000 pounds. But I do it at 70mph. My trip computer told me I averaged 11.5 out and back to California. We know how that thing lies. But MOST fuel stops were somewhere around the 20 Miles to Empty mark, and the truck normally took about 16 gallons of gas when I did. This thing has a LOT of spare fuel below Empty.
Sponsored

J Krutsch

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew FX4
PXL_20201012_170049196.jpg

All in, about 4500-5000 pounds. But I do it at 70mph. My trip computer told me I averaged 11.5 out and back to California. We know how that thing lies. But MOST fuel stops were somewhere around the 20 Miles to Empty mark, and the truck normally took about 16 gallons of gas when I did. This thing has a LOT of spare fuel below Empty.
18ish gal tank taking 16 gal to fill. 11.5 mpg. 2 ish gal at 11.5 is not much past the 20 mile to empty calc. I wouldn't call this a LOT of spare fuel.

Amibrau

First Name
Gayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the tank conversation, guys. A quick update on development of Long Range Automotive tank for North American Rangers with gasser engines.

After two months, we finally got parts from Ford - evap canister and fuel pump cartridge/sending unit. We are now able to send to Melbourne for development of the tank body to accommodate both petrol components either different or not installed in Aussie diesels.

Will keep you posted. Photos for visual validation that we do, actually, exist! :crackup:

Also, photo of our new facility in Boise.

Sorry for the slow progress, but between Covid and a booming vehicle market, parts were hard to come by.

Should go quickly from this point. Thanks for your interest!

Ward Harris
Ranger 1.png
Ranger 2.png
Ranger 3.png
thanks for the update Ward. looking forward to this option in the near future....I'll be a buyer...

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Sign me up if these ever come out for the Rangers... I'd love a bigger tank for road trips.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I will be buying one the day they are available. CHOP-CHOP! ? Just jokin

Im hoping for 50 gal but I would settle for 30 ish. Towing with a small tank feels like you're burning it faster than you can pump it in.

If I had a f350 diesel long bed id be putting the titan 65 gal in the day it comes off the lot.

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
How would a larger tank effect the fuel gage on the dash? Would it be accurate? Or would it show full until it reaches the OEM fuel amount?

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2013 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
North American Distributor of Steel Fuel Tanks and Rear Bumper Systems from Australia
How would a larger tank effect the fuel gage on the dash? Would it be accurate? Or would it show full until it reaches the OEM fuel amount?
The Australian diesel kit provides for modification of the fuel gauge sending unit to accommodate new tank configuration. The gauge functions as stock after installation.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Fuel level is measured via a float on an arm, varies resistance (rheostat/potentiometer type thing) based on arm position/height.
If depth of the tank doesn't change then half tank is half tank, doesn't matter if its 10 gal or 1000 gal. Assuming similar tank shape ofcourse.
If a new fuel sending unit is needed then it should be calibrated, atleast one would assume so.

DTE calc might be more of a challenge for those that actually look at that. Because I believe it uses tank size in the calcs.

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
North American Distributor of Steel Fuel Tanks and Rear Bumper Systems from Australia
Fuel level is measured via a float on an arm, varies resistance (rheostat/potentiometer type thing) based on arm position/height.
If depth of the tank doesn't change then half tank is half tank, doesn't matter if its 10 gal or 1000 gal. Assuming similar tank shape ofcourse.
If a new fuel sending unit is needed then it should be calibrated, atleast one would assume so.

DTE calc might be more of a challenge for those that actually look at that. Because I believe it uses tank size in the calcs.
Sending unit is modified by slightly bending the rod down to reflect deeper tank, not replaced.

DTE may be based upon gallonage in tank, or it could be a learned data set based upon how far one can go on a tank given realized consumption of the vehicle. Varies with manufacturer as we understand.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sending unit is modified by slightly bending the rod down to reflect deeper tank, not replaced.

DTE may be based upon gallonage in tank, or it could be a learned data set based upon how far one can go on a tank given realized consumption of the vehicle. Varies with manufacturer as we understand.
Hi Ward,

First let me state I am not interested in a longer range tank but I am a bit confused on the fuel pick up point. How do you take advantage of a deeper tank unless the fuel pickup point with its associated filtering is extended?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co.. Retired

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
The Australian diesel kit provides for modification of the fuel gauge sending unit to accommodate new tank configuration. The gauge functions as stock after installation.
Ok cool... I just wanted to make sure we didn't have to do any Forscan mods.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To help woth the DTE you can go into ForScan and adjust the tank size in the Intrument Cluster. That will help a bit to say the least.

Hi Ward,

First let me state I am not interested in a longer range tank but I am a bit confused on the fuel pick up point. How do you take advantage of a deeper tank unless the fuel pickup point with its associated filtering is extended?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co.. Retired
You do make a good point on this Phil and I myself am curious on this. I suspect Long Range Automotive has figured something out in the tank to make this work since they have done this with the Diesel market plenty of times. The only question is how? But I suspect they might not share too much info.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
I don’t see the need. What’s wrong with marginal hot dog, Payday and a coke every so often.
Good, don't get one.

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
But I suspect they might not share too much info.
We tend to over share once we actually know something. Will provide longer response from desk when I get to office. ??

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
sage advice, kind of....

but my two cents worth is that A) if i am in the market for a used vehicle, or B) i am looking to modify my vehicle, i weigh the cost of mods as to whether or not they add to the value or detract from the value.
some mods simply dont cut the mustard on that simple criteria.
at this point, I cant say either way on whether a larger fuel tank adds anything of value on the general market, or more particularly my needs.
if i spent $2000 canadian on a tank like this, will i recoup that cost in a number of years when I sell? I'm doubting that very much, and thats not even considering if the tank will be worth the money spent while I use it.

everyone needs to be wary of how a mod will affect the situation down the road.
you go on being the marketing genius you are, and keep trying to spread the positive word and get people on board buying these higher capacity tanks.
Come on now, we all know that $2,000 us is equivalent to $4,000 Canadian LOL!! Ok maybe not that bad.

But you are not wrong. Here is my thoughts on this. If you are already talking about whether or not you are going to sell the truck then aftermarket changes to the vehicle do become pointless to an extent. Now if you are planning to keep the vehicle until the wheels fall off then it is a different story. When you are in that boat then the vehicle is an investment.

Make sense?
Sponsored