Long range fuel tank

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
My perspective, the whole automobile thing is wants. Need a larger tank because of towing ? well who asked you to buy a trailer. Want to drive remote ? well, you could just go to the local campground. Heck, who really needs a Ranger. Etc.

Back in college a group of us used to go for beers regularly and, on occasion, take turns talking about what we wanted to do in our lives etc. Funny thing, there was one guy who always seemed to spend his turn telling us what we didn't want. I always thought that was a interesting personal lifestyle choice.

Anyway, sometimes when feeling a bit sentimental for those days I grab a beer and go online ... seems to help.

Or maybe it's the beer working ?

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
I dont....LOL

1605985061273.png
As a LML guy who remembers >$1.50 / L in 2018 and near than in 2014 I'd say that pricing still looks pretty good :cool: Too bad covid killed road trips for us when it was .99 earlier this year.

Diesel is cheaper. We've got an aux tank in the F350. Easy 300 CAD fill - even in Alberta !

Last edited:

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
Either way you burn the same amount of gas. I'd pay an extra $25 a fill up for 10 more gallons and be able to to another 190 miles between gas stations.
Agreed, it’s so nice to have the option. I had the larger tank in my 2010 F-150 and it was great especially when towing.
Brian

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Road safety experts and doctors say that everyone should stop every 200 miles to get out of your vehicle and walk around. That is why we spend so much money on rest areas. Rangers can do that easily with the tank that they come with. Only super heroes need larger tanks. And you aint one. LOL ?

While towing, I can't GET to 200 miles between stations. More like 180 and THEN there's the problem of when you wind up halfway between two stations because stopping when the "50 miles to empty" comes on is literally a quarter of your tank.

If you don't want the tank, please feel free to not reply here any further as nobody that wants the tank cares about why you don't want one.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
While towing, I can't GET to 200 miles between stations. More like 180 and THEN there's the problem of when you wind up halfway between two stations because stopping when the "50 miles to empty" comes on is literally a quarter of your tank.

If you don't want the tank, please feel free to not reply here any further as nobody that wants the tank cares about why you don't want one.
How much weight are you pulling that you get less than 10 mpg?

Smudgpot23

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Technical whiner
that's cool, but from a business standpoint, I have a feeling a lot of people aren't going to feel the same way for a 4x4 application.

I'm trying to imagine what would have happened to steel tank sitting below the frame rail on this day....

I don't usually 'try' to find trails like this, but if connecting A-B without having to backtrack 4 hours means getting over this obstacle, I'm definitely going for it. And having a gas tank as my first point of contact is the last thing I want. extra capacity doesn't mean much if it's leaking all over the ground.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 11.47.04 PM.png
There's no shame in stacking rocks in this situation. You know where your diff is and you know where your lower control arms are and you maneuver to avoid damaging those. I dont think it would be too hard to avoid bashing in the gas tank as long as its not dangling 4 inches below the frame.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
There's no shame in stacking rocks in this situation. You know where your diff is and you know where your lower control arms are and you maneuver to avoid damaging those. I dont think it would be too hard to avoid bashing in the gas tank as long as its not dangling 4 inches below the frame.
Lol. Trust me, I stacked plenty of rocks and used traction ramps to help bridge the gaps.
(you can watch the video too )

But like I said previously, I'm going to push the limits of the truck if I need to, and having a fuel tank as my first point of contact doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Also, the diff and control arms can handle hitting the ground and scraping over the rocks quite a few times without risk of leaving you stranded...
plus, the middle of the truck is much more susceptible to scraping than in between tires.

I really don't understand this mentality... lift your truck and put bigger tires on to give it more clearance off road, but then it's ok to add a fuel tank underneath to offset any gains you got from the lift and bigger tires?
Do you use this logic against rock sliders as well? "well, why don't you just avoid hitting the body against any rocks?". Ok...
At least if you smash your door in on a rock you're not left stranded and leaking fuel all over the trail.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I average about 10 mpg as well. I don't think it is the weight so much (5500 lbs) as the wind resistance with 64 sq ft. of frontal area.
Yeah, from my experience, wind resistance makes a bigger difference than weight when it comes towing fuel mileage, unless you're going up a mountain pass.

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Lol. Trust me, I stacked plenty of rocks and used traction ramps to help bridge the gaps.
(you can watch the video too )

But like I said previously, I'm going to push the limits of the truck if I need to, and having a fuel tank as my first point of contact doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Also, the diff and control arms can handle hitting the ground and scraping over the rocks quite a few times without risk of leaving you stranded...
plus, the middle of the truck is much more susceptible to scraping than in between tires.

I really don't understand this mentality... lift your truck and put bigger tires on to give it more clearance off road, but then it's ok to add a fuel tank underneath to offset any gains you got from the lift and bigger tires?
Do you use this logic against rock sliders as well? "well, why don't you just avoid hitting the body against any rocks?". Ok...
At least if you smash your door in on a rock you're not left stranded and leaking fuel all over the trail.
RoadBoss, that's pretty wild ! I don't see myself doing that kind of stuff but I get what you're saying for 'wheelers, specifically about reduced clearance. For what I call 'off highway' that aspect could be less critical.

In the superduty we've done some long, remote road trips - I like to push the limits a bit too but in a different way. One trip in Northern BC was 1,500km of straight gravel (about 900 miles) with one fuel station...

986.jpg

This was all resource road stuff, nothing difficult, just a distance thing - and lack of other people thing !

True, we could have backtracked once or twice to refuel or I could have found a way to carry J cans - just that, likewise, I didn't want to.

Now, I'm not going to find a lot of routes that long but there are a few long ones up North. We have some large expanses of low populated areas, I guess like in Australia, where I think long range tanks are more common. In the lower 48 maybe not so much, but of course mpg does takes a hit off highway.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but sometimes fuel can be found cheaper or more expensive in certain areas. I live in a metro area that has an added tax, find yourself outside the region and fuel is usually cheaper. Too far from the city and it might be more expensive. Any savings may never pay for a replacement tank but I like to think it at least pays for carrying the extra weight !

Finally, call me unusual, but I'd rather not stop at a gas station or use their washroom more often than need be. It would be quicker for me to pump 50% more fuel than stop for gas 50% more often, especially when the station is busy - I hate waiting to fill up !
Sponsored