Long range fuel tank

Pete Warfield

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SX4
I contacted Long Range Automotive LRS of Australia and they were not very helpful because as they said, “all our Rangers are diesels “ and that’s about as far as it went. I’m still Interested but only if tank is domestic, for warranty issues or questions that may come up. I’ll keep watch on this thread.
Sponsored

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
I contacted Long Range Automotive LRS of Australia and they were not very helpful because as they said, “all our Rangers are diesels “ and that’s about as far as it went. I’m still Interested but only if tank is domestic, for warranty issues or questions that may come up. I’ll keep watch on this thread.
The last time I inquired with any maker...

"Due to EPA regulations we cannot produce any gasoline extended fuel tanks as they would be illegal."

So, for this truck as it currently stands, we will not be getting an "extended range" tank.

BUT, Shortly after that, I got an email from a manufacturer in the USA asking about SECONDARY fuel tanks. So, it looks like someone may be making an AUX fuel tank for the spare tire area at some point... I just wish they'd hurry up. On that note, there may be a way to retrofit one into that area.

ChiliTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
In for either a replacement larger tank or an aux extended one. As most noted, another 8-10 gallons would be money. I tow an enclosed trailer for track events and while I get a little more MPGs from my ranger then I did with my '14 F150 3.5L EB (awful 6spd, but 34 gl tank), the ranger's tank makes the few long runs to southern tracks much longer with the extra stop or three I've had to do. I used to make it to SC almost (from DC metro area) with the F150 but barely get into NC with the ranger :(

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2013 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
North American Distributor of Steel Fuel Tanks and Rear Bumper Systems from Australia
I am interested, but the price of these things looks pretty high. At these prices I can buy three jerry cans and carry them outside the bed for a whole lot less and have money left to fill said tanks several times! For example, https://longrangeamerica.com/shop-tanks/

So I am interested, but not at a $2,000 price tag. Maybe if I pulled a trailer or something.
We appreciate all the feedback/input from you folks. All good info even if it doesn't work for a given reader/poster. Just market intel and data to use in making decisions.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be interested, but it would have to fit a few boxes for any "serious" investment from me:
  1. Be reasonably priced (Sub $1k for ~35 gals for instance, closer to $750-ish for mid-20 gals)
  2. Sit nearly identical to the stock tank (up/in the frame, extended forward as needed to make up capacity)
    1. OR -- come with a standard skid plate for protection (or if optional, very reasonably priced)
  3. Have a relatively simple installation process (not removing the bed for instance) and be an "all-inclusive" or easy to finish installation. IE - updating the fuel capacity in the computer, etc.
That all being said, it's an interesting idea, especially for longer days offroading and the like. For normal use, I would never care, but being able to spend more time off-road without needing to worry about carrying extra fuel would be a massive plus.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The nice thing is with thos current project is this will allow the option of a long range fuel tank for these trucks. As long as things go the way we would like them too we are looking at later this year for them to be on the market. Unfortunately no company has the tank for the US models yet since here we have the evap canisters as the diesel trucks in Australia do not have that.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'd be interested, but it would have to fit a few boxes for any "serious" investment from me:
  1. Be reasonably priced (Sub $1k for ~35 gals for instance, closer to $750-ish for mid-20 gals)
  2. Sit nearly identical to the stock tank (up/in the frame, extended forward as needed to make up capacity)
    1. OR -- come with a standard skid plate for protection (or if optional, very reasonably priced)
  3. Have a relatively simple installation process (not removing the bed for instance) and be an "all-inclusive" or easy to finish installation. IE - updating the fuel capacity in the computer, etc.
That all being said, it's an interesting idea, especially for longer days offroading and the like. For normal use, I would never care, but being able to spend more time off-road without needing to worry about carrying extra fuel would be a massive plus.
Well I would hope you dobt have to remove the bed to remove and install the fuel tank. In my years of working as an Automotive mechanic I have yet to run into a point where the bed must be removed. If you can look at it the instructions to remove the tank are pretty easy and simple for anyone that is mechanically inclined.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Well I would hope you dobt have to remove the bed to remove and install the fuel tank. In my years of working as an Automotive mechanic I have yet to run into a point where the bed must be removed. If you can look at it the instructions to remove the tank are pretty easy and simple for anyone that is mechanically inclined.
I agree, but depending on how the space utilization is laid out, it may be something that is a possibility. In any case I just wanted to lay out what my expectations are. Having worked on my own vehicles for nearly 15 years, I'm more than happy to drop a tank, but I don't have the patience or room to pull the bed.

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I would definately be interested in this. I would prefer around 25 gal. and not below the frame rail, but bigger and below the rail would work if it has additional protection.

I had a GMC with an aftermarket 45 gal tank (stock was 25) and it hung below the frame. I whacked it a few times but it was double layered on the bottom so it didn't do anything but scratch it. I don't drive fast under those conditions. I was OK with that setup. The only problem I had was they tried a little too hard to make it big. The vent line was too high and it would often spit up when filling it. Not cool. Hopefully the tank you are working on won't have that issue.

I wander a fair bit on remote dirt roads (BLM & forest service) so extra range is worth quite a bit to me.

metaldrumcore

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150, 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Director of Information Technology in Higher Education
I'm interested in the prospect of getting roughly 450-500 miles out of a full tank like I was in my '18 F150 thanks to the 32 or so gallon tank in that. Depends on price and overall fit-n-finish of the tank swap. Ease of DIY swap as well.

Ward Harris

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2013 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
North American Distributor of Steel Fuel Tanks and Rear Bumper Systems from Australia
Yeah, I am sure it will be a great tank. Not trying to be negative. As for a market info point - I see you guys also have some bumpers with enhanced functions, such as to carry jerry cans. Perhaps something like that for the US Ranger market would be good too. The fuel tank would have the advantage of keeping/moving the center of gravity lower though. Anyway, the more products on the market for our trucks, the better! Thanks!
We offer the full range of Kaymar rear bumper/carrier systems, including Ranger shown below. Configuration of tire carrier(s) / jerry can holders at your choice. Includes hitch receiver rated at 7,700 lbs. towing capacity. Standard finish is black satin powder coat.

1594665176840.png

1594665005393.png

1594665055225.png

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
how do you get away with blocking tailights like that?
If you look, the bumpers have their own tail lights and turn signals built into them (the small yellow/red rectangles), which would act as the taillights then.

tlhdoc

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I would be interested.
Sponsored