First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Putting your stock tank back in for now or are you guys going to try to mod the AU tank to fit?
The stock tank is back in. Hopefully the AU will make some fixes soon and corrections will be made
Sponsored

Yama_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor Soon 2021 APG Ranger
How was the removal and reinstall of the stock tank? Fairly straight forward or some tricky surprises? Did you pull the bed off or just work from the bottom?

I’ve done a few fuel tank swaps but its been years and it wasn’t on anything particularly modern.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How was the removal and reinstall of the stock tank? Fairly straight forward or some tricky surprises? Did you pull the bed off or just work from the bottom?

I’ve done a few fuel tank swaps but its been years and it wasn’t on anything particularly modern.
It was a little tricky but for the most part straight forward. We did go from the bottom. For the fuel filler along with evap lines and stuff it is better to poll the fender liner. Yes this will mean the lovely rivits will need to be drilled out but other then that it is pretty easy to pull. Thankfully Ford put a big connector with the fuel and evap connector at the front of the tank. After those are disconnected the removal is simplified quite a bit!!

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger,08 Cobalt SS,18 Subaru outback
Occupation
Inspector
Woooo. That tank looks awesome. Can't wait to see it on the truck. Then we can maybe talk price and pre orders!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That's true, but I don't think GCWR is generally going to be the limiting factor for Ranger drivers. In most cases you will hit 7500 towing long before GCWR, unless you also have your Ranger loaded to the gills.
Pretty obvious you don’t take your wife with you! Here, hold my beer!

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any updates on this project?
Things are currently on hold. There are changes that have to be made to the tank. Until further notice there are no updates.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Soooooooooo..............

Good news and bad news........ The tank looks beautiful!!!! But it does not fit yet............

There are more differences between the AU to US market Rangers than predicted but it is vey close.

Two mounts need to be re configured. After that we will be in business!! How long until the corrections are made? I have no idea.

So you guys have an idea here are some pictures of the tank including one of the areas that need to be modified

0326210847a.jpg

0326210847_HDR.jpg

0326210958.jpg

0326211153.jpg

0326211153_HDR.jpg
Thanks for posting this.

Did you consider teaming up with a fab shop and modifying the tank to fit?
Does the "new tank" re-use the OEM charcoal vapor canister?

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for posting this.

Did you consider teaming up with a fab shop and modifying the tank to fit?
Does the "new tank" re-use the OEM charcoal vapor canister?
Yes the new tank will use the factory charcoal canister as that will not be a problem with the EPA whatsoever. Ask for a Fab shop let's just say one of the other four members that I will not mention names is currently in the works with lra to try and figure this out. If they do get this figured out I will have the second tank installed on my truck and I will still be happy because this is a big project I was really looking forward to.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Yes the new tank will use the factory charcoal canister as that will not be a problem with the EPA whatsoever. Ask for a Fab shop let's just say one of the other four members that I will not mention names is currently in the works with lra to try and figure this out. If they do get this figured out I will have the second tank installed on my truck and I will still be happy because this is a big project I was really looking forward to.
Might check with Tomken? They're local and are in the off road modifications business.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Might check with Tomken? They're local and are in the off road modifications business.
The current project that is on hold and yet still in the works.is being checked in a different state other than Colorado and Idaho. Let's just say the person doing such right now has access to everything needed to make adjustments.

Rock squirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hey all, new owner here and found this forum very useful to help me decide on purchasing. Anyways, was looking for extended range due to towing and was wondering if anyone had found or looked at these options for the US?

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/za/ford-ranger-t6-2012-aux-63-5l-fuel-tank.html

https://www.randdoffroad.com/shop/f...xiliary-fuel-tank-ford-ranger-raptor-2019-on/

It looks like they are gravity fed and would go above the spare tire with minimum impact to ground clearance.

Reactions: JDG
OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey all, new owner here and found this forum very useful to help me decide on purchasing. Anyways, was looking for extended range due to towing and was wondering if anyone had found or looked at these options for the US?

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/za/ford-ranger-t6-2012-aux-63-5l-fuel-tank.html

https://www.randdoffroad.com/shop/f...xiliary-fuel-tank-ford-ranger-raptor-2019-on/

It looks like they are gravity fed and would go above the spare tire with minimum impact to ground clearance.
To start there is no guarantee that they will fit as there is a huge difference in the chassis from the US Rangers to the world spec Rangers. Second gravity feed style tanks like that are not legal to run on the street here in the US. As for rhe Long Range Tank from LRA it is currently on hold as chanhes are being made at this time.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So what happens If I get a bed tank meant for diesel (less than 120 gallons) and put gas in it? Will the world stop spinning and small kittens die?

Are gas restrictions in "only diesel!" tanks like when they started making lame ass slow release gas tank spouts? Is there something inherently dangerous about diesel tanks with gas in them from a raw materials or design stand point?

I'm not talking about the possibility of explosion. I mean gas eating the material they use (which is uh... metal...) or pressure issues? I would assume even diesel tanks have mechanisms to regulate pressure?

Bottom Line: Are diesel tank restrictions just because "nanny state" or is there some other legitimate reason?

Or is it as simple as California being to blame like basically every automotive restriction known to man?

Edit: Here is a cherry picked quote when scouring the internet;

I called one of the tank companies that makes aluminum transfer tanks that are designated for Diesel Fuel only. I spoke to a helpful person in their customer service group. I asked him what design differences there were in the tanks that were rated for gasoline usage. He said he would suspect not much if any difference from their tanks (he wouldn't say they were exactly the same since he wasn't actually looking at one of these other tanks). The difference is in the cost associated with having the testing/permitting done to have the tank approved for gasoline usage. He said they looked into a while back and it was very expensive to have the testing/approval process done due to the types of tests they do for gasoline due to the low flash point, etc. They decided it wasn't worth going through the expense since their market research showed that the majority of the tanks are used for diesel transfer purposes any way.
Again, cherry picked; but this in a nutshell says "government wants the money to give it a stamp of approval"

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
So what happens If I get a bed tank meant for diesel (less than 120 gallons) and put gas in it? Will the world stop spinning and small kittens die?

Are gas restrictions in "only diesel!" tanks like when they started making lame ass slow release gas tank spouts? Is there something inherently dangerous about diesel tanks with gas in them from a raw materials or design stand point?

I'm not talking about the possibility of explosion. I mean gas eating the material they use (which is uh... metal...) or pressure issues? I would assume even diesel tanks have mechanisms to regulate pressure?

Bottom Line: Are diesel tank restrictions just because "nanny state" or is there some other legitimate reason?

Or is it as simple as California being to blame like basically every automotive restriction known to man?

Edit: Here is a cherry picked quote when scouring the internet;

Again, cherry picked; but this in a nutshell says "government wants the money to give it a stamp of approval"
Everything about handling gasoline is more hazardous than diesel. Vapor pressure, flash point, flammability, etc. DOT tank standards reflect the differences.
Sponsored