First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
So you you kinda get the best of both worlds. Tow tune give you some of the extra power but focus on efficiency and is safe for DD. When you need to tow, you can then use factory tow button which will have truck hold gears longer and be more optimized for towing. Plus with the tow tune you can use 87 for daily when not towing or more if you want more power/TQ and then switch to highest grade in your area up to 93 and get that added extra bonus while towing. TO bad there is not a soft shift tune for towing :p
They have a soft shift tow tune now. Just gotta request it.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I know what tune I am running. Tow Tune with soft shift and E30 blend when I want to mess around with power!
Good luck on the E30 with Livernois. Due to the parts required for make the trucks afely take more than E15 Livernois has not released a tune allowing more than E15. That will be at your own risk.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Good luck on the E30 with Livernois. Due to the parts required for make the trucks afely take more than E15 Livernois has not released a tune allowing more than E15. That will be at your own risk.
I read they have an E30 blend tune. All modern cars can run ethanol. Nothing is needed but the correct tuning to run a low e30 blend tune. Now Pure E and higher percentages might require a bigger FP and DIs.

OP
OP
Jmarler

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
I read they have an E30 blend tune. All modern cars can run ethanol. Nothing is needed but the correct tuning to run a low e30 blend tune. Now Pure E and higher percentages might require a bigger FP and DIs.
This is what I was told about the e30 blend from livernois. You have to mix it yourself.

"Beyond those the only tune I see that we've not sent to your Mycal online would be the softer shift towing tune or the E30 Blend tune for customers interested in running a blend of E85 and 91-93 Premium fuel to make an overall 30% ethanol content for slightly more power increase. I've included a video link below that shows the latest tune results including E30 here on the dyno. I do not personally send the E30 tunes unless it's something a customer specifically requests since you cannot just go to the gas station and get legit premium E30 blended fuel at the pump, it's something you have to blend yourself and should also be using an ethanol tester if the E85 is coming from the pump and not a sealed drum where the quality is already spot on since it can be highly inconsistent at the gas station pumps. Some areas you'll read the label on the pump and it may say could be as low as E50 or E60 but they still sell it as E85 since it's not held to the same standards as gasoline would be. But just let us know if the E30 or soft shift towing tunes are anything you'd be interested in and I can send those to your tuner for another update if needed."

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
This is what I was told about the e30 blend from livernois. You have to mix it yourself.

"Beyond those the only tune I see that we've not sent to your Mycal online would be the softer shift towing tune or the E30 Blend tune for customers interested in running a blend of E85 and 91-93 Premium fuel to make an overall 30% ethanol content for slightly more power increase. I've included a video link below that shows the latest tune results including E30 here on the dyno. I do not personally send the E30 tunes unless it's something a customer specifically requests since you cannot just go to the gas station and get legit premium E30 blended fuel at the pump, it's something you have to blend yourself and should also be using an ethanol tester if the E85 is coming from the pump and not a sealed drum where the quality is already spot on since it can be highly inconsistent at the gas station pumps. Some areas you'll read the label on the pump and it may say could be as low as E50 or E60 but they still sell it as E85 since it's not held to the same standards as gasoline would be. But just let us know if the E30 or soft shift towing tunes are anything you'd be interested in and I can send those to your tuner for another update if needed."
Yes but I am curious about what level or error is built in. But if I were to do it I have 4 5 gallon jugs. Fill them up and store in garage and get a testing kit to insure I knew what mix level was needed. Only do it when I wanted to have some fun :p

OP
OP
Jmarler

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Yes but I am curious about what level or error is built in. But if I were to do it I have 4 5 gallon jugs. Fill them up and store in garage and get a testing kit to insure I knew what mix level was needed. Only do it when I wanted to have some fun :p
It would definitely be fun to test out and have fun with

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Have you noticed the tow tune is weaker till 2800 rpm’s? Just looking at the chart stock made more hp and torque till then. Which sucks cuz I Cruze at 2200rpms
It's definitely different than the performance tune. Agree its a little weak off the start but what I also noticed is it won't skip gears (perf tune does that too, soft shift will skip). Feels nice going up the pass towing my trailer, plenty of power. Intercooler helps too

Lol the tow tune is a flex tune that allows 87 octane to 93 octane. I run 91 here in Colorado since that is the only fuel for premium here. Also the owners manual does state for towing and better performance to run premium.

The guy you spoke to unfortunately doesn't have a clue
Agree 100%

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As stated above, there is an E30 tune if you request it. Can go to the pump that has E85 & 91 and do it there or also mentioned above, have some cans of E85 handy

Since put the tune on, I have mixed 2 gal E85 with each tank to achieve a E15-E20 blend

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
Still confused why the particular guy you talked to you said the tow truck is not a good daily driver again. Efficiency over max power. Don't get me wrong you still get an increase in power but you can easily switch to any fuel you prefer hook up a trailer whatever you want without having to switch tunes
Called today and spoke with Anthony he said they have a new guy and he didn’t know what was talking about. He said the tow tune could be used as a daily driver 87 through 93. Also the 93 performance tune could tow a jet ski that weighs 600lbs

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Have you noticed the tow tune is weaker till 2800 rpm’s? Just looking at the chart stock made more hp and torque till then. Which sucks cuz I Cruze at 2200rpms
That almost sounds better depending on the why behind less horsepower. If it is running less boost or safer ignition timing, etc ... I would rather have less stress on everything at cruzing RPM; then let it make more power when I want it. Especially with 10 gears and it never coming close to 3k when its in haul ass mode.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That almost sounds better depending on the why behind less horsepower. If it is running less boost or safer ignition timing, etc ... I would rather have less stress on everything at cruzing RPM; then let it make more power when I want it. Especially with 10 gears and it never coming close to 3k when its in haul ass mode.

Yea I always lock out 9/10 on the highway when I tow, as the grade gets steeper I will drop to 8/7/6

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
When talking about how much power one tune makes over another we are talking wide open throttle (WOT) acceleration. The difference will only be noticed when accelerating at WOT threw that rpm range.

When cruising the throttle is barely cracked open and the engine is only making enough power to maintain that speed. At 60 mph it will take about 10 to 20 HP to maintain speed to overcome wind resistance and rolling resistance. Your foot will naturely open and close the throttle to adjust the amount of power the engine is making to maintain the speed you want.

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
so I installed the Tow tune today my first thoughts it’s OK it doesn’t hold the gears as long as I would like you to. Seems to shift about 1600 in each gear and once I hit 51 miles an hour it’s in 10th gear driving normal. I’m running 93 I was hoping it would hold till 2000 rpm before shift change under normal driving. It also skipped second gear under normal driving But if you push the gas pedal at least halfway down it will hit second gear every time. So I decided to try the tow button and that holds the gears like I would like it to seems like 2100 RPMs before each shift. I did notice it shift into 10th gear though. it’s not supposed to do that it’s supposed to be locked out at 9th under tow mode. Seems the tune may have a bug in it. If you put it in drive and push the pedal all the way down seems to have more pick up from 4000 RPMs and on. My guess would be about 30 more foot pounds of torque. I put maybe 40 miles on it today. I tried sport mode And would chirp second gear and have a good pull but seems to hold the gears too long when you let off the gas. I will say the install was easy no issues there. For $625 I was hoping for a little more.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
so I installed the Tow tune today my first thoughts it’s OK it doesn’t hold the gears as long as I would like you to. Seems to shift about 1600 in each gear and once I hit 51 miles an hour it’s in 10th gear driving normal. I’m running 93 I was hoping it would hold till 2000 rpm before shift change under normal driving. It also skipped second gear under normal driving But if you push the gas pedal at least halfway down it will hit second gear every time. So I decided to try the tow button and that holds the gears like I would like it to seems like 2100 RPMs before each shift. I did notice it shift into 10th gear though. it’s not supposed to do that it’s supposed to be locked out at 9th under tow mode. Seems the tune may have a bug in it. If you put it in drive and push the pedal all the way down seems to have more pick up from 4000 RPMs and on. My guess would be about 30 more foot pounds of torque. I put maybe 40 miles on it today. I tried sport mode And would chirp second gear and have a good pull but seems to hold the gears too long when you let off the gas. I will say the install was easy no issues there. For $625 I was hoping for a little more.
Okay so you don't quite have a full understanding of that tune much yet as I can tell and that's okay I can help elaborate a bit. The tow tune is going to be very similar to like having no tune but you will have more power and a little bit more refined shift pattern. The skip gear is still considered okay under normal driving conditions because you don't always need to hit every single gear if you're not under load. When you put it in tow mode it is still possible to go into 10th gear if you have no load because the truck is load sensitive. When you put a load on the truck towing a trailer it will automatically make a lower gear the Top Gear due to the extra load. This is something that's considered normal. I understand you might say the RPM's need to be higher but also understand if you're driving for fuel economy you still need to have a lower RPM. My suggestion is hold on to the tow tune and you will still be impressed. It's not like you're going to be gapping Ferraris at the quarter mile but you also have to remember this is a truck that's meant to work. It's not meant for 24 hours of LeMans
Sponsored