Limited Slip Differential?

DevilDog1775

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone figured out a limited slip differential yet for the rear axle? I have seen the air lockers and talk of retrofitting with the FX4 electro-locker. However, I would prefer an LSD in the Iowa climate. Please share if you have figured out the parts. Oh, and I did call Dana but they wouldn't talk to me because I am not a reseller. The guy was actually pretty rude. Thanks in advance for any information.

Jim
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
You want lsd for snow/ice? Because I have had both and the open is easier to keep straight.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Both Crown and Spicer have LSD carriers for the M220 in the Jeeps.

Unknown if the LSD carrier will fit the M220 in our Fords (likely) or if the spline count is the same between the Ford and Jeep.

Spicer lists the carrier In the $450 range. Have thought to prowl around the Jeep sites for a used take off from someone who opted for an air locker.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
If you donā€™t try to overwork it the electronics take over and work fine for traction control.

MyLittleRanger19

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you donā€™t try to overwork it the electronics take over and work fine for traction control.
pretty sure @DevilDog1775's truck is pushing significantly more HP than stock. id be surprised if the electronics helped passed half throttle for this guy.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Has anyone figured out a limited slip differential yet for the rear axle? I have seen the air lockers and talk of retrofitting with the FX4 electro-locker. However, I would prefer an LSD in the Iowa climate. Please share if you have figured out the parts. Oh, and I did call Dana but they wouldn't talk to me because I am not a reseller. The guy was actually pretty rude. Thanks in advance for any information.

Jim
When I ordered my Ranger, Ford Marketing was completely confused. I was given every possible answer except the truth. At first LS was said to be standard, then it was an option, then it was not available, then it was not compatible with the traction control ...ETC
Still not completely sure about that last one.

Its been a while but it seems to me that one of the other truck manufacturers is using the same rear end and offering a LS with it, if so it would be a relatively simple thing to find the part number and install it in the Ranger. I found it necessary to install a LS in my former Ranger , mostly for towing.(of course it was an 8.8)

Now that I have my 2019 Ranger and have towed several thousand miles with it, I have discovered that the electronics do a fine job in preserving the tires and providing good traction.
I no longer feel the need for a LS for my 2019 Ranger.

The locker option might help in mud or snow but it is useless or even dangerous on pavement and doesn't work at speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DevilDog1775

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Vehicle Showcase
pretty sure @DevilDog1775's truck is pushing significantly more HP than stock. id be surprised if the electronics helped passed half throttle for this guy.
That's about right. If I do a quick take off, the traction control kicks in and kills the fun. If I turn off the traction control, the wheels spin like crazy. I think the LSD would put me in the "Goldilocks Zone." I am not in a hurry, but thought I would check to see if anyone figured it out yet. When I get around to figuring it out, I'll be sure to post part numbers and such.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
That's about right. If I do a quick take off, the traction control kicks in and kills the fun. If I turn off the traction control, the wheels spin like crazy. I think the LSD would put me in the "Goldilocks Zone." I am not in a hurry, but thought I would check to see if anyone figured it out yet. When I get around to figuring it out, I'll be sure to post part numbers and such.
Only so much grip available on a pickup with an empty bed.

MyLittleRanger19

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Only so much grip available on a pickup with an empty bed.
especially one with a 7 degree rake and leaf springs.

installing a lowering kit that drops the back to an acceptable level and then running something like 20x10's with 295/45R20's in the back would help immensely.

jleds

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
yes please I've been waiting for a torsen or lsd as well. There were rumors that ford performance were working on one. Not sure what came of it. I'm hoping on doing front and back but we'll see I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DevilDog1775

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Vehicle Showcase

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I can't answer on whether or not this will fit on a Ranger but a True Trac is a great choice. I had one installed by 4 Wheel Warehouse on my then new '99 F-450. They are a bit rough, some pops and clicks as the axles synch themselves especially around tight corners on pavement. This unit works by providing torque to both axles and only allowing one axle to overrun the other. The axle on the inside of a corner will drive while the outside axle is rotating faster overrunning the differential. That is unless you are under throttle which could cause axle twist and then release as throttle is released. Axles are designed to be able to absorb some twist. Make sense?

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A quick True Trac story. I was driving the F-450 unladen from Texas to New Jersey to visit my folks for Christmas. As I was driving through the Smokey Mts on an uphill curve I am really having to crank on the wheel with substantial effort to make the curve wondering if I had a problem. The steering effort then went back to normal on a level section. I began to realize the problem, since this is a dually I have 4 wheels in back pushing me straight ahead to maintain speed up the hill and only 2 wheels in front to make the curve.
Result of the incident? The True Trac is aggressive with all rear wheels driving.
Sponsored