Silent Running
Mike + The Mechanics

Take the children and yourself
And hide out in the cellar
By now the fighting will be close at hand
Don't believe the church and state
And everything they tell you
Believe in me, I'm with the high command
Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?
There's a gun and ammunition
Just inside the doorway
Use it only in emergency
Better you should pray to God
The Father and the Spirit
Will guide you and protect from up here
Swear allegiance to the flag
Whatever flag they offer
Never hint at what you really feel
Teach the children quietly
For some day sons and daughters
Will rise up and fight while we stand still
Can you hear me, can you hear me running (can you hear me calling you?)
Can you hear me hear running, can you hear me calling you?
(Can you hear me running) Can hear me running (can you hear me calling you)?
Can you hear me
Hear me calling you
(Can you hear me running) hear me running, babe
Can you hear me running (hear me running)
Calling you

Regards

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
In "The Stand" by Stephen King, he had a lot of apocalyptic lyrics to songs sprinkled throughout the chapter pages. I never realized how depressing music lyrics actually were.

The supply chain for manufacturing is already starting to break down. The company I work for, one of our major customers makes medical equipment, hence we are designated a critical manufacturer. Our company never got around to designating our suppliers as critical before they closed their doors due to the outbreak. We are now running out of consumable supplies that are used in the manufacturing process. At some point, we will shut the doors if we can't find alternative suppliers. I see this ripple effect spreading throughout the country. It will be an interesting next few years.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Not to hijack the post, but i see this as the pin that pricked the economic bubble we were in globally .. i expect financial systems crashing more, fiat dead, hyperinflation to its fullest, and digital currency as the currency of the future .
I’ve been on the bitcoin wave for a few years now, why stop now
Thanks for the laugh, good to see the Bitcoin loonies are still out there

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Some good news. The owner of My Pillow is now going to start producing cotton face masks for healthcare workers.

Late last week MyPillow announced that 75 percent of its production capacity would shift to making cotton face masks for health care workers after a three-week turnaround to convert the pillow factory. MyPillow, is expected to be producing up to 50,000 of the much-needed masks per day by Friday.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Why, yes it does.

When you think about it, we are already almost in a cashless society.

Most transactions are by EFT, CC, or check.

Some people will be extremely reluctant to let go of cash.

Younger individuals that grew up paying for everything with their phone or CC won't even bat an eye at the change.
Cash is still king for private purchases like garage sales ,flea markets, and swap meets.even tips.
But I hear there's an app for that!
I usually carry cash for small purchases, but I have switched to credit or debit lately... since the cash in the drawer is "last in -first out"

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
The phrase “Eat the Rich” may make a comeback. 300 million “torches and pitchforks” (metaphorical or otherwise) is something I’m sure the Oligarchy is acutely interested in avoiding. Even more so in countries like China, India etc.

Our last recession and subsequent bailouts spurned the creation of movements like the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street and fostered a much deeper divide within the proletariat (er, I mean “voters”). Virus aside, If this next depression/recovery is handled poorly I think we can expect new movements to arise which could be very good or very destructive and that’s a huge unknown to everyone.

Looks like the first (trial) vaccine delivered into a human just a few days ago in Seattle. I’m really hoping the outcome here progresses rapidly!
NIH vaccine link

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Cash is still king for private purchases like garage sales ,flea markets, and swap meets.even tips.
But I hear there's an app for that!
I usually carry cash for small purchases, but I have switched to credit or debit lately... since the cash in the drawer is "last in -first out"
Exactly, but if there is no cash, people won't be able to sell stuff at a yard sale and "hide" that unreported income from the IRS.

When cash is worth nothing, bartering will take its place for a lot of things.

Even now, cash is rarely used for a large purchase and it actually triggers a lot of scrutiny if you do use a large amount.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Who is going to cash the stimulus check for an emergency fund after this rather than use it?

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Who is going to cash the stimulus check for an emergency fund after this rather than use it?
That's a good point. Those of us who still have jobs are going to pretty much tuck it away and hold it for the day when we don't have a job. Same thing with our tax returns. The stimulus may not have the immediate effect some economists are hoping and instead may just keep some people from going hungry, or their house from being foreclosed, a couple months from now.

Some people may immediately buy cans of beans, pasta and ammo too. This isn't a stimulus package. It's a keep people fed and in their houses package.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I have a friend who is entirely cash based - life choice. On a few occasions he's asked me to paypal someone or register him for something (CC only) because of it. But in return I have him do things on facebook for me since I refuse to be part of that ecosystem.

I prefer to use cash for local business, local restaurants (especially servers/bartenders) because I prefer to put them in a position where they can tailor their tax burden as they see fit. This is a bit due to the fact that WA State doesn't have a state income tax and instead makes that up by collecting more from gas tax, 10% sales tax, high property tax and high B&O (business/operating) tax on small businesses, which I contest are all highly regressive.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's a good point. Those of us who still have jobs are going to pretty much tuck it away and hold it for the day when we don't have a job. Same thing with our tax returns. The stimulus may not have the immediate effect some economists are hoping and instead may just keep some people from going hungry, or their house from being foreclosed, a couple months from now.

Some people may immediately buy cans of beans, pasta and ammo too. This isn't a stimulus package. It's a keep people fed and in their houses package.
You're absolutely right! I just told my girlfriend and her daughter the other day that once you get your tax returns and your stimulus checks to put them into your savings and do not touch it! Thankfully they both still have their jobs. The owner of the company where my girlfriend works just had a web meeting yesterday (they're all working from home) and said everyone will still have their job and he's giving them all a $100.00 gift card for all the inconvenience lately. What a great company!! I still don't want them to spend it as you never know what's going to happen down the road.

I'm self employed and will be saving mine too but it's basically replacing money I spent a couple weeks ago on all the ammo I just bought. lol

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Exactly, but if there is no cash, people won't be able to sell stuff at a yard sale and "hide" that unreported income from the IRS.

When cash is worth nothing, bartering will take its place for a lot of things.

Even now, cash is rarely used for a large purchase and it actually triggers a lot of scrutiny if you do use a large amount.
So far Americans won't even let the government get rid of the penny, let alone all cash.
By the way, selling your kid's old clothes at a garage sale is not yet taxable income.
I'm old enough to remember freedom and value it. ...Archaic huh?

Last edited:

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I think that while all of us will be happy to receive the stimulus payments, I can't help but feel sorry for folks in the future, especially the younger generations, who will be paying out more in taxes. The stimulus won't be a "freebie." A day of reckoning will come.
Sponsored