First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
So I am changing all my halogen lights with LED and it has gone quite well until now. I am trying to remove the passenger (right) side low beam hadlight. I can get it twisted off counter - clockwise about 95% or more but the connector to the halogen light is hitting the side of the back side of the assembly (appears the backside of the assembly is eccentric and not an issue on the driver side) and I cannot twist it any further. I've tried to take the connector off since that is what is hitting the side but can't get a screwdriver in to pop the tab. Has this happened to anyone else? Any solutions?
Sponsored

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
That happened to me on one of the lights and it was also on the passenger side. Yes, by removing the connector first the bulb will come right out, but don't pry on the connector or it may break off. There is a tab on the side of the connector, if you press in on it the connector will pull right off. You can get a better look at what the tab looks like by checking out one of the more accessible bulbs.

Bytor

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4
So I am changing all my halogen lights with LED and it has gone quite well until now. I am trying to remove the passenger (right) side low beam hadlight. I can get it twisted off counter - clockwise about 95% or more but the connector to the halogen light is hitting the side of the back side of the assembly (appears the backside of the assembly is eccentric and not an issue on the driver side) and I cannot twist it any further. I've tried to take the connector off since that is what is hitting the side but can't get a screwdriver in to pop the tab. Has this happened to anyone else? Any solutions?

So I was able to get the light out by disconnecting the connector (a bit of a pain) first. Unfortunatley the LED light won't seat and twist since the CSP Mini LED 148 slightly larger than the halogen and the connector hits the frame where the dust cover goes. Attached are two photos showing the offset position of the halogen light not leaving enough room to fit the larger LED. Anyone else with this issue and / or solution. Rest of the lights fit perfect.

20210224_091048.jpg

20210224_091149.jpg

RARanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I just got LED bulbs for the fogs and have headlight bulbs coming tomorrow. I was trying to see if I could get at the fog lights, but the FX2 air dam is in the way. What's the best way to access these to do the bulb swap?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I just got LED bulbs for the fogs and have headlight bulbs coming tomorrow. I was trying to see if I could get at the fog lights, but the FX2 air dam is in the way. What's the best way to access these to do the bulb swap?
If it is like my FX4 the easiest way is to take the skid plate off. Loosen the back two bolts and remove the front two. The backs are slotted so the plate will slide out. Plenty of room then.

RARanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
If it is like my FX4 the easiest way is to take the skid plate off. Loosen the back two bolts and remove the front two. The backs are slotted so the plate will slide out. Plenty of room then.
Do you think that's easier than removing/ loosening the wheel well liner?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I was able to get the light out by disconnecting the connector (a bit of a pain) first. Unfortunatley the LED light won't seat and twist since the CSP Mini LED 148 slightly larger than the halogen and the connector hits the frame where the dust cover goes. Attached are two photos showing the offset position of the halogen light not leaving enough room to fit the larger LED. Anyone else with this issue and / or solution. Rest of the lights fit perfect.

20210224_091048.jpg

20210224_091149.jpg
If I remember when I did mine, I had to install the bulb and reconnect wire afterwards. I had different bulbs but people have said the CSP minis fit.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you think that's easier than removing/ loosening the wheel well liner?
Much easier! Take 5 minutes tops. Takes more time finding your 15mm socket and ratchet.

RARanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Much easier! Take 5 minutes tops. Takes more time finding your 15mm socket and ratchet.
I just took a look at how the plastic "skid plate" on the FX2 is mounted, It may be a bit different than the FX4 skid plate. It looks like there are a few bolts between the bumper cover and the skid plate holding it on.

I feel like I can probably get away with just removing a few of the retainer pins in the wheel well liner without having to fully remove it to get in there.

What do you/ others think?

RARanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Pushing back the wheel well liner wasn't that difficult for me. Took a few minutes and gave direct access to the bulbs. Did the same thing to swap out the side marker lights to LED, and connect the splitter dongle for the Raptor style lights to the side marker connector as well. Only trouble is it takes some pretty skinny/slender wrists and forearms, like I have, to slide in behind. Unless you undid more of the liner I suppose.
I didn’t have my trim removal tools with me at work today, so I am going to give it a shot tomorrow. I feel like if I just remove 2-3 of them I should have plenty of room to get in there.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just took a look at how the plastic "skid plate" on the FX2 is mounted, It may be a bit different than the FX4 skid plate. It looks like there are a few bolts between the bumper cover and the skid plate holding it on.

I feel like I can probably get away with just removing a few of the retainer pins in the wheel well liner without having to fully remove it to get in there.

What do you/ others think?
OK, I was think about Removing the metal skid plate behind the air dam. I thought if you removed that you could reach over the air dam and get to the bulbs. The fender liner pins are a PITA to deal with. I had to deal with them when changing my side markers out. Can't imagine getting my arm in there.

RARanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
OK, I was think about Removing the metal skid plate behind the air dam. I thought if you removed that you could reach over the air dam and get to the bulbs. The fender liner pins are a PITA to deal with. I had to deal with them when changing my side markers out. Can't imagine getting my arm in there.
Are they really that bad? I figured they would just pop out I’d be able to move the liner enough to reach the bulbs... Am I wrong?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are they really that bad? I figured they would just pop out I’d be able to move the liner enough to reach the bulbs... Am I wrong?
They have a screw in them to expand them that needs to be backed out. The pins like to spin while trying to back them out. If you just pry them out, you will destroy them. They are the same pins you deal with changing your oil filter.

RARanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
They have a screw in them to expand them that needs to be backed out. The pins like to spin while trying to back them out. If you just pry them out, you will destroy them. They are the same pins you deal with changing your oil filter.
Thanks for the heads up on that, I probably would have just pulled them and broke them. This still seems like the easiest route to go to me.
Sponsored