John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Sales/Management
Ok, I have two questions and the answer to the first will impact the second:

Can Sync 3.4 be installed for those of us who have the 4.2" screen? If yes, then.....

I am either FORSCAN illiterate or am more anxious of F'ing it up, but is this as "easy" as it looks from those of you who have done this so far?

If the answer to Q1 is no, then I need to wait to save up for the 8" screen upgrade.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Ok, I have two questions and the answer to the first will impact the second:

Can Sync 3.4 be installed for those of us who have the 4.2" screen? If yes, then.....

I am either FORSCAN illiterate or am more anxious of F'ing it up, but is this as "easy" as it looks from those of you who have done this so far?

If the answer to Q1 is no, then I need to wait to save up for the 8" screen upgrade.
There is an equivalent release for the smaller system, yes. Run your VIN, should be there. I think I found one yesterday.

BigHen0213

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Sales/Management
There is an equivalent release for the smaller system, yes. Run your VIN, should be there. I think I found one yesterday.
Thanks!! Now if I could only get my FordPass to work again. Won't connect to my truck via my phone, even though BT is working. That FP app drives me crazy sometimes.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Added the climate screen back in via FORSCAN today too. Works like a charm now.

So, besides the obvious visual update in 3.4, what else has changed? Is there anything significant? It sure looks nice but is that all it is?

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4

So, besides the obvious visual update in 3.4, what else has changed? Is there anything significant? It sure looks nice but is that all it is?
I am not sure if this 3.4 update had anything to do with it but I can say the voice controls are vastly improved. I had to drive from Topeka to KCMO today for my son's surgery at Children's Mercy Hospital and although I had been there 3 times already I still like to set the Nav for the trip. Using voice commands I just said "destination" then "POI" and finally "Children's Mercy KC" and it worked flawlessly. After I left the hospital I did the same for our hotel and again it was flawless.
Previously I would always have to manually enter the physical address but voice commands were spot on and so much faster than before. For that reason it was worth it for me.

GT5050

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

For one, it should be a bit more responsive. Voice commands should be improved. Also, if you use AppLink with an iPhone, previously you had to plug in to use any app, with 3.4 applink can be used via Bluetooth with iPhone (always could with Android) - with the exception of Waze which still has to be plugged in.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I am not sure if this 3.4 update had anything to do with it but I can say the voice controls are vastly improved. I had to drive from Topeka to KCMO today for my son's surgery at Children's Mercy Hospital and although I had been there 3 times already I still like to set the Nav for the trip. Using voice commands I just said "destination" then "POI" and finally "Children's Mercy KC" and it worked flawlessly. After I left the hospital I did the same for our hotel and again it was flawless.
Previously I would always have to manually enter the physical address but voice commands were spot on and so much faster than before. For that reason it was worth it for me.
Yes - thanks to UofMEngineer for his work in this area. Much improved since my 2016 Fusion (I gave up using VR with that version).

Steve131

First Name
Steve Wilson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier, Escape
For one, it should be a bit more responsive. Voice commands should be improved. Also, if you use AppLink with an iPhone, previously you had to plug in to use any app, with 3.4 applink can be used via Bluetooth with iPhone (always could with Android) - with the exception of Waze which still has to be plugged in.
Are you saying that Carplay is now wireless? I didnt think it gave us that functionality.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Are you saying that Carplay is now wireless? I didnt think it gave us that functionality.
Certain apps (e.g., Pandora) worked on Android without Android Auto, via Bluetooth rather than the USB cable. Sounds like you can do the same on an iThing now.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, v3.3 -> v3.4, especially with updated maps, is quite different under the hood. Nav generally gets some form of tweaks every release given it's the most complex domain. FYI, you don't need to dive into that destination menu first, you can just say "Destination POI" if that's the lingo you're comfortable with.

GT5050

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
No, not when you’re running Apple CarPlay. Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto have to be tethered.
But when you have Apple CarPlay turned off, and you are using the native Sync screen, apps (besides Waze) are now Wireless. Apps like Pandora, stitcher, iheartradio, etc...

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, not when you’re running Apple CarPlay. Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto have to be tethered.
But when you have Apple CarPlay turned off, and you are using the native Sync screen, apps (besides Waze) are now Wireless. Apps like Pandora, stitcher, iheartradio, etc...
Yep, the iOS AppLink music apps, etc. (not Nav like Waze) work over Bluetooth now like they had with Android. Same restriction that the app needs to be running on the phone for it to register with SYNC applies.

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Claybuster
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure how I managed it but I did the 3.3 to 3.4 upgrade and my screen is now blank. I shut the truck off, pulled the drive, restarted and the screen is blank.

Any ideas?
Sponsored