Just Hit 20k Miles After 10 Months of Ownership - Fuel Economy Insights

Roaring Gorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Ridgeline AWD Sport
Hello All,

I just hit 20k miles on my 2019 XLT Ranger. I have owned my truck 10 months (December 14th purchase of 2019). Primarily, my truck has been used to commute to work for me - I commute 84 miles a day, five days a week. I have had three oil changes on my truck to date.

Although I love my truck, my biggest concern with it has been fuel economy. A major reason I went with the Ranger was because of the advertised fuel economy. I did not want an SUV, and I wasn't really keen on getting an AWD sedan/coupe. I ultimately knew that a truck, no matter what model/make I considered, would never beat a SUV/sedan for fuel economy. Nevertheless, I felt for the advertised fuel economy and my commuting needs, the Ranger was perfect for me.

Here is breakdown of my fuel economy to date after 10 months of ownership and 20k miles:
  1. Average MPG: 19 miles
  2. Average gallons: 15.23
  3. Average fuel cost per gallon: $2.22
  4. Average cost per fill-up: $34.34
  5. Average cost per mile: $0.12
  6. Average miles driven before filling-up: 289.4
I obtained these values using Microsoft Excel. My Ranger computer estimates are close, but state that I average slightly above 20 MPG. This data will help me immensely predict fuel economy and costs as I am soon getting a new job with a continued commute of 1 mile longer to about 85 miles daily, with the possibility of it being 6 days a week monthly.

Just thought this was interesting data. I am curious to see how other members' fuel economy has been? Take care everyone.
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
What a coincidence! I just hit 20k yesterday. Difference is I bought my Ranger in January of 2019. :LOL: (The past 6 months or so, I've only put about 1k miles on the truck and since our company has moved to permanent work from home from here on out, I will most likely only put a few thousand a year on it.)

I've found I'm getting right around 20mpg. Before COVID, my commute used to be 70 miles a day. No traffic in the morning commute (I'd leave at 5am) and heavy traffic going home.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Hello All,

I just hit 20k miles on my 2019 XLT Ranger. I have owned my truck 10 months (December 14th purchase of 2019). Primarily, my truck has been used to commute to work for me - I commute 84 miles a day, five days a week. I have had three oil changes on my truck to date.

Although I love my truck, my biggest concern with it has been fuel economy. A major reason I went with the Ranger was because of the advertised fuel economy. I did not want an SUV, and I wasn't really keen on getting an AWD sedan/coupe. I ultimately knew that a truck, no matter what model/make I considered, would never beat a SUV/sedan for fuel economy. Nevertheless, I felt for the advertised fuel economy and my commuting needs, the Ranger was perfect for me.

Here is breakdown of my fuel economy to date after 10 months of ownership and 20k miles:
  1. Average MPG: 19 miles
  2. Average gallons: 15.23
  3. Average fuel cost per gallon: $2.22
  4. Average cost per fill-up: $34.34
  5. Average cost per mile: $0.12
  6. Average miles driven before filling-up: 289.4
I obtained these values using Microsoft Excel. My Ranger computer estimates are close, but state that I average slightly above 20 MPG. This data will help me immensely predict fuel economy and costs as I am soon getting a new job with a continued commute of 1 mile longer to about 85 miles daily, with the possibility of it being 6 days a week monthly.

Just thought this was interesting data. I am curious to see how other members' fuel economy has been? Take care everyone.
We've got a little over 10,000 miles on our 2019 FX4 SuperCab. We're getting about 27 mpg. We run Shell 91 octane. I pretty much always use cruise control.. even in town.

What fuel are you running?

OP
OP
Roaring Gorilla

Roaring Gorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Ridgeline AWD Sport
We've got a little over 10,000 miles on our 2019 FX4 SuperCab. We're getting about 27 mpg. We run Shell 91 octane. I pretty much always use cruise control.. even in town.

What fuel are you running?
I typically use 87 unleaded, however, I do use 93 octane at least once monthly. The reason I use 87 is due to the cost of fuel with commuting to save money. The difference between 87 and 93/91 can be as high 85 cents per gallon where I live!

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
okay so...I have to ask...what speed do you travel on the freeway? I am normally between 70-75 depending on the location...and pen-and-paper mileage shows me at 23 average. the dash avg shows 23.9-24.5. I use strictly 91 octane.

Wife and I have a trip coming up in Dec and will be from Texas to FLA and I think will be interesting to see what the truck will do.

D

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
Got a 2020 and just broke 1k so haven't been able test MPG yet but I'm glad it will beat my Sport Trac I traded so that's a bonus.

Deleted member 1634

I just had my 30k mile service performed last week, after 17 months of ownership. Per my fuelly data, my overall average mileage is 20.3mpg, but that's because I do such mixed driving and usage.

Average summer commute mileage: 24mpg
Average winter commute mileage: 18mpg
Average highway trip mileage: 27mpg
Average towing mileage: 19mpg

If all I did was commute and go on long trips my average would be way up there. But unfortunately, mileage wise, I do a lot of towing in the summer and experience very cold temps and winter fuel blend all winter (6+ months a year) which really brings the average down quite a bit.

Either way, it sounds like either your driving style, average speed, and/or driving environment are not conducive to getting good mileage. But it's definitely possible to meet and exceed the documented EPA mileage.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
i've put about 16K on mine in a year should have been more but COVID averaging 20.6 with a 80 City/20 Highway mix. I guess its the price to pay for having something with a decent amount of power. love that it just goes when you need it to to merge on the freeway or make a quick maneuver

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I do about 80% highway an 20% local/city. If I keep the cruise at 65 I can avg 22.5 for a tank, if I drive it to get where I'm going I lose 1 mpg. Also I'm rarely in stop an go traffic but there are a few long lights getting from work to the highway an I have turned off the start/stop.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Here is my fuelly.
https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/ranger/2019/oxygeniii/932677

I averaged pretty good mileage before I out a lift and 285-70-17's on. It went down about 2mpgs on average after that and winter coming up it drops significantly for me here with extended idling and winter blend fuel, so I expect mine to drop to around 16 or 15mpgs this year with the wheel setup.

I thought I heard both f150 and Ranger owners were complaining of false advertisement from epa fuel economy ratings and a class action was being considered. Not sure how anyone can really prove it but I guess if no one is reaching the advertised mpgs then maybe.

I drive much less during the week for work than you, only probably 40 miles a day. The worst mpgs are hauling a trailer or going against a large headwind.
Screenshot_20201025-091333_Chrome.jpg

CVCA91911

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
Iā€™m averaging 19.3 mpg in my truck. I added the Livernois 91 -93 performance tune and slightly larger tires BFG K02 LT265/65R18. I only use 91 octane fuel.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL 2WD supercab
Occupation
Analyst
I got my Ranger in July and took it on a 7 day, 3006mile road trip across the western states. I clocked a total of 50 hours of seat time and averaged 24.5 mpg according to the trip computer.

My driving on the interstate averaged about 80 mph with infrequent, but notable trips towards triple digits (couldn't help myself, it has boost).

In the city I commute 20 miles a day and get just less than 18mpg. I never use the auto start stop and i have a feeling if I did, I would probably get closer to the advertised.

Always 91 octane. 2wd base model with only 101a pkg. I have a hard folding tonneau cover, I am certain that it helps.

It handled the miles smoothly and I would not hesitate to hit the road again.

IMG_20200904_142351.jpg

Last edited:

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I am averaging 23 mpg- just about 5,000 miles on it. I do about 80/20 hwy/city driving, but my hwy driving involves a lot of incline (sea level to 3,000 ft average but up to 6,000). I would get better if I lived in a flatter area. I donā€™t use cruise control and turn off the autostop/start and only use 87 octane. No tune, stock tires but a leveling kit. Just installed a tonneau so not sure that will increase my mpg.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I didn't notice a change from the tonneau but I put it on pretty quickly. Two things I've noticed is a headwind an winter gas will drop mileage. I bought my truck in winter an avg was 20 or less, over the summer it was around 22. This winter after having the motor broken in I'm wondering if it will improve a little.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I've owned mine since April 22nd. It has just shy of 2,700 miles on the OD. That's an average of ā‰ˆ16 per day.

If you pussy-foot it, keep out of the turbo, and act like an old-maid schoolteacher, you can get a real 19+ mpg. But... That's no fun!

With the Ford tune and a few bolt ons, it will run away from any stock F150, including the Raptor, which is the fun part. But... You end up with ā‰ˆ15 mpg, perhaps a bit less.
Sponsored