Removing Glove Box to access cabin filter

TexTazManiac

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch, 2013 Lincoln MKX, 1977 Datsun 280Z, Various Can Am 'Toys', Mahindra Tractor
Has anyone removed the glove box on a Ranger Lariat? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to disconnect the 'easy open' cable.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone removed the glove box on a Ranger Lariat? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to disconnect the 'easy open' cable.
Okay...a bit late for me to bed...Is this included in the owners Manual? It should be. Time for a Scotch on the rocks..so not venturing out to the Ranger for the owner's manual... I think it is explained in the Owner's Manual.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
TexTazManiac

TexTazManiac

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch, 2013 Lincoln MKX, 1977 Datsun 280Z, Various Can Am 'Toys', Mahindra Tractor
Okay...a bit late for me to bed...Is this included in the owners Manual? It should be. Time for a Scotch on the rocks..so not venturing out to the Ranger for the owner's manual... I think it is explained in the Owner's Manual.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for responding and enjoy the scotch. The owners manual doesn't explain how to remove the glove box to access the cabin filter. It says you have to go to an authorized service location. I have 2 other Fords and accessing the easy open cable is... well... easy. This one is put so far back on the glove box, I cannot get to it. I will try to get from under the dash tomorrow, but I'm not a small guy and working under the dash is pretty tight!

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The cable attaches to the swinging box part with a simple stud and loop setup. I was able to slip if off the stud without really being able to see it (I just tried and confirmed it). Hard to find a relevant pic but it’s something like this. Not to scale.

upload_2019-9-12_20-59-44.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

Yep...just poured the scotch and before a sip headed out the the garage and on the right side by the passenger door is a cable that you can feel on the side of the glove box. It pops off quite easily and allows access to the HVAC filter. Thanks Daniel!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
TexTazManiac

TexTazManiac

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

Yep...just poured the scotch and before a sip headed out the the garage and on the right side by the passenger door is a cable that you can feel on the side of the glove box. It pops off quite easily and allows access to the HVAC filter. Thanks Daniel!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks to both of you. I just went outside and did the same. I have to contort a bit, but works when I flip the loop around the post.
Sponsored