First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Very interesting numbers. Since the ten speed is overdrive in 8, 9 and 10th gear, that means the drive shaft is running faster than the engine in those gears. Don't remember what RPMs we are running at what speeds in what gears. Don't think it's that high, but worth a check.
Sponsored

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Hi Steve,

Magnet stick the the shaft? So now in direct drive...what is the speed associated with a driveshaft speed of 3285....This is the speed with the driveshaft starts becoming a Jump Rope.... Someone help me out here on rpm vs vehicle speed...

Best,
Phil
Here is a link to a speed/rpm calculator as well as the transmission specs. Need to also calculate and input your tire diameter.

https://purperformance.com/p-29669-rpm-calculator.html

21E62183-E87A-422E-8E13-41D0CD0AEA8F.png

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
3285 driveshaft rpm would occur at 85 mph with 285/75r17 tires.

3285 /3.73ratio=880.7 x 60 = 52842 /617 rev per mile =85mph.
I'm not a drivetrain guy; am I mistaken in thinking that if critical RPM is at 3285/85mph, then at that speed or higher that's when the driveshaft will start getting higher amounts of flex and whip to it?

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I'm not a drivetrain guy; am I mistaken in thinking that if critical RPM is at 3285/85mph, then at that speed or higher that's when the driveshaft will start getting higher amounts of flex and whip to it?
Maybe not. At work our steam turbine shaft has two critical speeds, at 1700 and 2300 rpm. It operates at 3600rpm all day long but getting to 3600 it will pass thru the critical speeds. You just don’t want to stay at those speeds or vibes will get you.

That shaft is a little larger in diameter, about 18” across. Same rules apply.

Last edited:

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
This is all just theory based on simulation. Every vehicle is unique. A shaft that size will spin at 100mph all day long, like they have spun for for biliions of miles in vehicles over the years. Drive and enjoy as driveline failures are very rare.
If anything, the factory setup is has a greater likelyhood of destroying output and input bearings as well as ujoints and slip yokes.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Is it just me or does anyone else think a professional driveshaft shop hasn’t figured out all the details yet?

Skeptical? I’m always skeptical when it comes to aftermarket parts but VegasRanger has put some trust and money into this, I’m looking forward to the results.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
@VegasRanger You're the man for doing this. I keep going back and forth on getting rid of my truck because the vibes are ridiculous among a few other issues, but if I can solve the vibes, I think I can live with the other issues as long as my engine doesn't blow up. Keep us updated when you start commuting!

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
@VegasRanger You're the man for doing this. I keep going back and forth on getting rid of my truck because the vibes are ridiculous among a few other issues, but if I can solve the vibes, I think I can live with the other issues as long as my engine doesn't blow up. Keep us updated when you start commuting!
Is it just me or does anyone else think a professional driveshaft shop hasn’t figured out all the details yet?

Skeptical? I’m always skeptical when it comes to aftermarket parts but VegasRanger has put some trust and money into this, I’m looking forward to the results.
A driveshaft safety loop would be a good investment too!

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager

Speaking for myself… I am skeptical that a shop has figured out something that changes what a group of engineers couldn’t. We’re talking about a new vehicle that has been decontented over the past two years, to save pennies (rocker panel plugs), centre bed tie-downs, engine cover, centre console tray, glove box damper, owners manual holder, etc.

I’m not thinking this thing will self-destruct at highway speeds. I am interested to see how it works for OP. I do applaud people for taking on a problem like this.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Speaking for myself… I am skeptical that a shop has figured out something that changes what a group of engineers couldn’t. We’re talking about a new vehicle that has been decontented over the past two years, to save pennies (rocker panel plugs), centre bed tie-downs, engine cover, centre console tray, glove box damper, owners manual holder, etc.

I’m not thinking this thing will self-destruct at highway speeds. I am interested to see how it works for OP. I do applaud people for taking on a problem like this.
True.
The aftermarket is huge and it’s huge because automakers and their engineers are restricted by government mandates, therefore we get ten speed transmissions and programming that suck in the real world.
Numerous posts on here about problems with tuning, vibrations, even sagging leather seats but yet this new generation Ranger has been overseas for a few years before it came to the States. So why are we dealing with crap that should have already been “worked out”?
Excuse me, I like my truck but I’m disappointed in Ford that we are dealing with erratic vibrations and poor fuel mapping/timing not to mention the little things that aggravate us.

Don’t get me started on poor dealer services.
Rant over. Carry on.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John,

You would first notice a vibration but if you increase speed, yes..it will start to jump rope where ultimatels a u joint would let go and/or a end cap weld... Do not want to go there and hold it at that speed....you can "drive through" it most likely.... Just be aware if you notice a vibration starting to occur.

Best,
Phil

Last edited:

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Know a lot of you been waiting for this, so here it is. Attached are pictures and details of work done.

Only drove it 35 miles. So far all highway vibrations gone, no more shutter at take off. Smooth all the way around! Drove it up to 90mph.

I’ll keep you posted once I start the work week on Monday and start driving back and forth to work every day.

B9827309-501C-4FF9-A9E1-E7A70EEE03D7.jpeg

19D2A135-8AB3-4DFD-9393-12727EAA7FD2.jpeg

AC7E4170-21A3-4355-8297-8CD1BA08E87D.jpeg

FE947671-78E9-4A16-B2F6-A31C7E51F2CE.jpeg
I am very interested to see how things settle in once you do your work commute for a week or two. I am hoping for the best results. This gives hope for a shudder free future.