First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I joined the group to find an answer to this exact issue. 21 Tremor. Cruising though town at 30mph. Truck is in 7th gear and starts the rumble until it downshifts. It’s happens when it hangs out in too high of a gear. Any fixes?
If you put it in tow mode(even without a trailer) you will be fine. Just remember that the 10R80 is a whole different animal of its own.
Sponsored

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I guess I'd rather have a little bit more choice than "hyper-miler" D mode and "road-rager" S mode.
I didn't read all replies, but in case it wasn't mentioned, you might like trailer mode as it hits every gear on the way up and down.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I joined the group to find an answer to this exact issue. 21 Tremor. Cruising though town at 30mph. Truck is in 7th gear and starts the rumble until it downshifts. It’s happens when it hangs out in too high of a gear. Any fixes?
In Drive, you can tap the - button on the shift knob multiple times to keep the transmission from engaging any gear high than you set. e.g. tapping down to 6 will allow the transmission to automatically shift through the gears normally (skipping some) up to 6th, whereas Trailer mode will select every gear, and sport mode you have to shift manually. When you want a higher top gear, simply tap the +.

edit: I use this feature on a long 7-9% downhill grade near me to keep the truck from increasing speed with little or no braking- watch that tach!

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
and sport mode you have to shift manually. When you want a higher top gear, simply tap the +.
Incorrect.

Unless you hit the + or - to change gears in sport. This will enable "manual mode."

But if you just slide from D to S it'll shift for you.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Incorrect.

Unless you hit the + or - to change gears in sport. This will enable "manual mode."

But if you just slide from D to S it'll shift for you.
Yes, but if you toggled down to 6th from any higher gear in S in the example it would engage manual shifting. Then if you slow below the tranny's threshold, or stop, you have to manually shift back up; it will hold in 1st until you do. Toggling the +- button in D, the trans will shift automatically back up to the toggled gear.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Yes, but if you toggled down to 6th from any higher gear in S in the example it would engage manual shifting. Then if you slow below the tranny's threshold, or stop, you have to manually shift back up; it will hold in 1st until you do. Toggling the +- button in D, the trans will shift automatically back up to the toggled gear.
True.

Was just clarifying as your post read, to me at least, as though S was automatically manual shift only.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I only use 'Sport' mode (with a tune) to humble Taco's around town, otherwise in TH mode in town, and use 'D' on road trips or on the freeway. Plus as I do have a tune I only run 91+ in the tank, and with prices in Calif its a $75 fill up, good thing I saved a shitload of $$$ for retirement :)

Torrsall

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4WD
I only use 'Sport' mode (with a tune) to humble Taco's around town, otherwise in TH mode in town, and use 'D' on road trips or on the freeway. Plus as I do have a tune I only run 91+ in the tank, and with prices in Calif its a $75 fill up, good thing I saved a shitload of $$$ for retirement :)
Coming from a Toyota, Tacos be humbled already. And they say the Ranger is dated!!!

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Coming from a Toyota, Tacos be humbled already. And they say the Ranger is dated!!!
Yep, my buddy has a newer Taco and he thought it was all that, until he rode with me in the tuned Ranger, he stopped bragging after that :)

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
So I’m trying to figure out if I have an issue with my transmission or if it’s just a characteristic of our rangers.

when I’m cruising around town at speeds of say 25-40mph the truck seems to be lugging a little bit. It keeps the RPMs very low and I get a vibration/lugging sensation. It feels the same as driving a Manuel transmission in too high of a gear. It almost feels like the truck is bogging down until I give it more gas. No stuttering or jerking but just a low vibrating feeling and I can feel it in the wheel. It’s like holding an electric toothbrush but not as strong. At times it feels like the road surface changed but it didn’t.

sport mode is great but I find it hold the rpms too high. No vibration in sport mode.

I have no vibration on take off and no vibration when reving the engine in park. I only have it when the truck is lugging along in 7th gear and 1100rpms at 35mph. 2021 Tremor 520 miles on it
Keep it in s mode

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Stop driving in D mode...you're going to wreck your life...S only... ?

Last edited:

jcwren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
On the topic of the gear indicator, is there any way to get it to display in sport mode WITHOUT entering manual shift mode? I like being able to see what gear it's in while in D, and it would sure be nice if you can do that in S. I mostly use S, but almost never want to manually shift.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
On the topic of the gear indicator, is there any way to get it to display in sport mode WITHOUT entering manual shift mode? I like being able to see what gear it's in while in D, and it would sure be nice if you can do that in S. I mostly use S, but almost never want to manually shift.
If the +/- button on the side of the shift is press (+) it will tell what gear is it on while in D.

Reactions: Doc

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
I don't think so. AFIK, you have to toggle a gear while in Sport mode to display the gear indicator. I toggle mine in D and frequently lock out 7th thru 10th if I'm droning thru 30-35mph suburban traffic. Shifts normally up to 6th and holds there until I bump it up higher.
Maybe there is a Forscan way to have the gear # always displayed.

jcwren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I don't think so. AFIK, you have to toggle a gear while in Sport mode to display the gear indicator. I toggle mine in D and frequently lock out 7th thru 10th if I'm droning thru 30-35mph suburban traffic. Shifts normally up to 6th and holds there until I bump it up higher.
Maybe there is a Forscan way to have the gear # always displayed.
Yeah, that's what I suspected. I find the iconography that's displayed when the gear indicator is not shown to be totally useless. I'd just as soon always have the gear indicator displayed regardless if it's in 'D' or 'S'.

Maybe I'll switch to locking out gears instead of using sport mode for in-town driving. I totally agree with other posts where people say they feel the engine is lugging in some gears at slower speeds, and that's the primary reason I use sport mode. While I knew that hitting +/- will display gears in 'D', I didn't find out until fairly recently about the gear lockout.

Thanks!
Sponsored