Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
also, now I have gone down a rabbit hole of seeing if it really is that hard to make a custom tune . . .

LOL

warranty, what warranty, never heard of her.
Sponsored

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
That will have to do for now. lol

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
last weekend I was in oklahoma and got pretty low on fuel, 20 miles left said the dash and my drive home was well over 100 miles. so i stopped at the next station i came to . they didnt have 93. 87 89 only... so being out of choices i got about ten gallons of the 89. within minutes i could tell a difference. the acceleration was not the same. the pedal response was slower. truck is tuned for 93 so im sure it was not happy on 89.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I've only run premium in my truck - so I can't say it runs better or not.

But I do feel elite when I pull off from a light and hear my money burning. LOL
Same for me pretty much. Owned the truck a little over 3 years, and 2+ years of that is with a 93 performance tune.

When I first got it, I could fuel up with 93 in my area for like $2.40 a gallon. Life was great. After that I average $3.60-$4.20 from month to month. Luckily I don't drive my truck outside of purely recreational activities. I just finally broke 16,000 miles.

All my adventure fun-having gear attached to my truck clocks in at around 800lbs is my guess. I still manage to average close to 17 MPG without driving like grandpa.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Same for me pretty much. Owned the truck a little over 3 years, and 2+ years of that is with a 93 performance tune.

When I first got it, I could fuel up with 93 in my area for like $2.40 a gallon. Life was great. After that I average $3.60-$4.20 from month to month. Luckily I don't drive my truck outside of purely recreational activities. I just finally broke 16,000 miles.

All my adventure fun-having gear attached to my truck clocks in at around 800lbs is my guess. I still manage to average close to 17 MPG without driving like grandpa.
I'm excited when it gets below 3.30 a gallon... ?

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
When we tow our travel trailer, I always use premium 91/93. Much better response towing 7000 lbs.
Around town/local/daily drive I use mid grade 89. Never use regular...
No tune and don't plan on one.
Yea, I sort of do the same.
After reading many threads here on the subject, I tried 93 vs. 87 (no 91 around me), even though it cost A LOT more! And I have NO aftermarket tune, just factory.
The truck loved it. Quite a bit more 'peppy', and milage/gal went up (not enough to offset added cost, but it did go up).
So, I've stayed with 93.
(If I drove more miles, it probably wouldn't be worth the cost; but I'm good for now).

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm excited when I get enough Kroger points to save 10 cents a gallon...
For me it's 7-11 and however the corporate goons decide to give me a discount. ?

OP
OP
NTXTremor

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Yea, I sort of do the same.
After reading many threads here on the subject, I tried 93 vs. 87 (no 91 around me), even though it cost A LOT more! And I have NO aftermarket tune, just factory.
The truck loved it. Quite a bit more 'peppy', and milage/gal went up (not enough to offset added cost, but it did go up).
So, I've stayed with 93.
(If I drove more miles, it probably wouldn't be worth the cost; but I'm good for now).
I was surprised that Costco was only 40 cents more for 93 octane versus 87. That is about $7 more per tank, and since I only fill up once or twice a month most of the time, I won't even think twice about spending the extra money.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I've tried 'em all - except standard 87, nothing below 89 octane midgrade. With and without a tune. Zero, 10 to 30 percent ethanol up to 94 octane although I've never encountered E15 I'd use it in a heartbeat with the custom tune. The performance is a sliding scale with the numbers and the price/performance/MPG ratio is pretty close overall. Torrie only said to watch temps when towing and even then the factory gauge never seemed elevated.

These trucks like their alcohol.

I like the high octane.

Let joy and confidence be your guide.

Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I've tried 'em all - except standard 87, nothing below 89 octane midgrade. With and without a tune. Zero, 10 to 30 percent ethanol up to 94 octane.

I like the high octane.
Don't local airports or drag strips sometimes sell that crazy 100+ octane stuff? Can our vehicles use that sort of stuff? I'd want to do it just out of pure dumb curiosity.

OP
OP
NTXTremor

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I've tried 'em all - except standard 87, nothing below 89 octane midgrade. With and without a tune. Zero, 10 to 30 percent ethanol up to 94 octane although I've never encountered E15 I'd use it in a heartbeat with the custom tune. The performance is a sliding scale with the numbers and the price/performance/MPG ratio is pretty close overall. Torrie only said to watch temps when towing and even then the factory gauge never seemed elevated.

I like the high octane.

Let joy and confidence be your guide.
That is good advice. I tried E15 once, but I could neither tell a difference in drivability nor in gas mileage.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Don't local airports or drag strips sometimes sell that crazy 100+ octane stuff? Can our vehicles use that sort of stuff? I'd want to do it just out of pure dumb curiosity.
Somewhere else someone on this forum put racing gas in his and had some codes. I honestly don't know what it would take to find the limits on gas with this Ecoboost - maybe explore the Mustang/Focus forums?

I've got mild mods and Torrie's tune to use my truck as my daily driver with light hauling and occasional towing. 90 octane Ethanol free was super expensive and didn't give me better performance than the 10% 89 octane. If 93 octane 10% is a 10 then E30 at 94 octane makes me Nigel Tufnel behind the wheel.
Screenshot_20230505-170336.png

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
I guess this is a ymmv kind of thing. I put 91 in Shelly with no improvements plus my gas mileage dropped rather significantly
Sponsored