I hate the sync system in this truck. Can't even use my phone anymore.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Can I just say that your troubleshooting advice since you've joined has been excellent and always very well documented?

My truck is trouble free, but I'm glad you bought a Ranger.

Thanks for what you bring to the table.
Definitely smarter than the average bear.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Most people run into issues with their selection of sync cables. Some can cost 30+ dollars each but bring havoc to the system. Most important part about this is to have a “apple mfi certified” cable. There is a chip inside of the connector where it docks into the phone. If not a legit one it acts much like you have described.

Another issue that many fall victim to is lint gets into the lightning port bottom and keeps the connector from fully docking. IE intermittent connection. Or lastly, the contacts on the phone dock port need to be cleaned. If dirty same issues with intermittent connection.

Good chance one of those are what you’re dealing with! Other than Bluetooth handshake. That’s a different animal all together

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Thank You, but I have access to the manual, and use that for trouble-shooting specific issues, however the manuals are not always very detailed. This specific case I used the wiring diagram and noted what fuses powered the Sync system. It helps others but also helps me learn the new truck and its many quirks. The manual is not that expensive just $59 a year, but it is a single vehicle, single year subscription. It does help allot but it is behind by 2 years, they just released the manual for the 2021, mine is still the 2020 manual, so will bump up to the 2021 at next renewal.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have replaced a lot of APIMS when I worked at the Ford Dealer...... That said I hope you do not have a Google Phone as theu do not like to communicate with the system what so ever....

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Try using a wireless AA module or apple car play dongle. My AA wireless dongle plus Pixel 6 is flawless in my 2022 ranger

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
My first Sync experience was in our 2009 Escape.

Hated it then, hate it now after 3 different vehicles and countless iterations. I really don't understand why every manufacturer wastes so much money on their infotainment systems.

Head unit with AM/FM, sat radio, wireless AA/carplay, amp, and speakers is all anybody wants and needs.

Don't even get me started about being forced to pay for the garbage Ford navigation system as well.
Not to make light of your woes.... but... personally....

I don't need or want any of it! I am happy with a USB port with my 256GB thumbnail drive music and an AM/FM Radio. I use an external Garmin with lifetime map updates, and Traffic warnings. Suits me just fine.

I installed a $125 Chinese Android head unit in my 2005 Ranger that I much prefer to the Ford system. It came preloaded with everything including navigation and backup camera.

Sometimes Less is more.

I wish my 2020 Ranger was more truck and less computer(s). The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up!

I'm an out of date I/T Tech. But long ago I learned that HW and SW changes rapidly... and products rapidly date themselves. Trying to make a box work with every device and OS, as well as versioning of OSes, firmware, and one off applications is more than a full time job.

This is going to date me, but I was the IBM point man for Year 2K compliance WW. All Hardware and Software had to be certified to pass Y2K.... including 400K desktops and laptops. We had thousands of applications on dozens of HW/SW platforms.

We built a magic DB to bounce every computer in the company off of to validate every binary executable on each machine (plus firmware). This was in the days of Netscape Web browser.
Guess how many variations of just the Netscape 4.0 browser was out there? You'd think just 1, but you'd be wrong. There were over 20! All with the same release number. All just a little different. We captured, catalogued, and validated them all.

Now consider haw many variations of phones are out there with different levels of firmware and OSes, and Ford has to make them all work. Even ones that come out after the release of the car. They are constantly chasing a goal that can never be reached, as the goal post keep moving. And sooner or later they will make a call to sunset the product, and stop supporting it.

It is a much bigger and more complicated job then most people think.

Have you tried pairing with a different phone? Sometimes apps get in the way.

Finally I know how frustrated you are. It should just work. I feel your pain.

I think car manufacturers made a big mistake putting computers in cars posing as entertainment centers. It all sounds good on paper until you try to implement something that you only have 50% control over. Ford has no control over the blue tooth devices being connected to its systems, or the Software/Firmware used on those systems to communicate with them, or the cables used.

We used to code around other companies flaws to keep customers happy. Let that soak in for a minute....

Finally I am not backing Ford's position, simply shedding light on the reality of cross platform sharing and communications. Tech has come a very long way, but it is no where near perfect.

I hope that you get it working.

Have you tried pairing with a different phone?

Finally I know how frustrated you are. It should just work. I feel your pain.

Best of luck,

- T

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
We'll Bluetooth problem is solved for now.

Played around with it got to finally stay connected. Now I just need Ford Pass to work again. It still says pending activation.?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Not to make light of your woes.... but...

I don't need or want any of it! I am happy with a USB port with my 256GB thumbnail drive music and an AM/FM Radio. I use an external Garmin with lifetime map updates, and Traffic warnings. Suits me just fine.

Sometimes Less is more.

I wish my truck was more truck and less computer(s). The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up!

Have you tried pairing with a different phone? Sometimes apps get in the way.
- T
You and I are mostly in agreement here. Simpler is better.

I'm not the OP and I use AA almost exclusively. No SYNC problems for me because I simply don't use it at all unless I want to listen to the radio or my thumb drive. And then I pop into SYNC for just a second to change sources.

SDXLT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
Agrred, USB method (if possible) is fast but I can't get the confirmation file to ever upload (issue for many). =(

Good luck, this has to be beyond frustrating!
The confirmation file is broken and Ford has no plan to fix.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
System gave me hell with my Sonim XP8 phone for first year of ownership, but it was Sonim's problem (like everything else with this POS phone).

Ever since Sonim patched their phone its been working fine.

And if its not clear, avoid Sonim products like the plague.
Sponsored