I hate the sync system in this truck. Can't even use my phone anymore.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have always been a big fan of the Sync system in Ford vehicles. I had my first one in a 2010 Focus SES, then a 2015 Focus ST, 2016 Explorer (did have to replace the USB in it) My 2019 Ranger and also in our 2022 Mach E. So I'm we'll versed in Sync and been using for over 10 years. All have been pretty much flawless...... except the Ranger.

Since day 1, I have had issues with it in the Ranger.

1. USB connection crashes: This has always been the case. I'm pretty convinced it has to with the stereo overheating. It happens most often in Summer, Running the Heater, Listening to Music at Max Volume. It will randomly just disconnect the phone. I have tried different phones, different cables, doesn't matter. Just right in the middle of a song... disconnect. Unplug - plug back in, and will work again. Sometimes disconnecting right away, other times lasting for a while. Updates also have done nothing. Which brings us to #2

2. Updates are the Devil! : For the most part I have always left automatic updates off. As I always have connection problems with the Bluetooth afterwards. The other day I was having some issues with Android Auto connecting and decided maybe I should update the truck, because it's been a few years. This was a terrible idea, and I should have known better. Now my phone will not connect via Bluetooth. I can't delete the phone from the truck, and it's constantly at war with the truck trying to pair like a cartoon "after you...no,no,no after you....I insist after you" it's super aggravating at this point. Phone trys and says truck is not ready and keeps getting pair requests but will not connect. I have tried a hard reset, and that didn't change anything.

I seriously ready to rip it out and install a aftermarket Pioneer, but afraid of what I'll lose.

Open to thoughts and ideas.
Sponsored

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
Max Volume may be a problem, try running the update again and a master reset a couple of times

LB

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Take it to the dealer. Maybe you have a baf head unit. They should have a small cooling fan in the back. Otherwise make sure the app on you phone is up to date (car play/android auto). Use an apple or android certified usb cable preferably a new one. Clear your charging port on your phone as well. And if you didn't, update sync.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My first Sync experience was in our 2009 Escape.

Hated it then, hate it now after 3 different vehicles and countless iterations. I really don't understand why every manufacturer wastes so much money on their infotainment systems.

Head unit with AM/FM, sat radio, wireless AA/carplay, amp, and speakers is all anybody wants and needs.

Don't even get me started about being forced to pay for the garbage Ford navigation system as well.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Try adding another device or a phone from your wife, kid, buddy whatever. After you add their device, you may be able to delete your device. Then delete the second device and add yours back. I've seen this "quirk" before with Sync, it's almost like it won't let the master device go and since that device is already in it's database, adding it back confuses the system. Once it sees a new / different device, it seems to correct the database.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I have always been a big fan of the Sync system in Ford vehicles. I had my first one in a 2010 Focus SES, then a 2015 Focus ST, 2016 Explorer (did have to replace the USB in it) My 2019 Ranger and also in our 2022 Mach E. So I'm we'll versed in Sync and been using for over 10 years. All have been pretty much flawless...... except the Ranger.

Since day 1, I have had issues with it in the Ranger.

1. USB connection crashes: This has always been the case. I'm pretty convinced it has to with the stereo overheating. It happens most often in Summer, Running the Heater, Listening to Music at Max Volume. It will randomly just disconnect the phone. I have tried different phones, different cables, doesn't matter. Just right in the middle of a song... disconnect. Unplug - plug back in, and will work again. Sometimes disconnecting right away, other times lasting for a while. Updates also have done nothing. Which brings us to #2

2. Updates are the Devil! : For the most part I have always left automatic updates off. As I always have connection problems with the Bluetooth afterwards. The other day I was having some issues with Android Auto connecting and decided maybe I should update the truck, because it's been a few years. This was a terrible idea, and I should have known better. Now my phone will not connect via Bluetooth. I can't delete the phone from the truck, and it's constantly at war with the truck trying to pair like a cartoon "after you...no,no,no after you....I insist after you" it's super aggravating at this point. Phone trys and says truck is not ready and keeps getting pair requests but will not connect. I have tried a hard reset, and that didn't change anything.

I seriously ready to rip it out and install a aftermarket Pioneer, but afraid of what I'll lose.

Open to thoughts and ideas.

There are times where both devices has to be reset in order for it to pair. I simply delete everything in Bluetooth and start over. Yes, it's a pain...but there's no other alternative.

There are 5 versions of Bluetooth. We are currently at Bluetooth 5.0-5.3 There could be incapability issues on older versions.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
There are numerous variables here, but to address the main issue, USB Disconnect, it sounds like you have a bad or loose connection at the USB Hub, the system is shutting down and is picking up a short to ground, check the cable runs and the connectors. Bad connections tend to show up more when the temp is hotter, (Increased Resistance)

If you have Forscan, it should be generating a (B) Code, view the exact code and use for Troubleshooting, Reset the Code and Perform A System Power Reset (APIM) with Forscan, as the codes are most likely stored in memory, thus a continued fault issue until the code is reset.

To get the system to reset try pulling these Fuses:

At the BCM. Fuse Panel by Left Knee

Pull for a couple of minutes and then reinsert.

Fuse 31 - Sync Module
Fuse 32 - Radio Transceiver Module
Fuse 33 - ACM

Another Option:
Press and Hold: Seek Up and Power Button for 10 Seconds, this will Reboot system.

The are some in-depth tests that can be done, using a voltmeter and the dealer has a test kit that can hook up to the system and test the Sync System itself.

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for your advice.

The USB, is a pain, but I have learned to live with it. It's been a issue since the beginning.

My bigger problem is the Bluetooth. I have reset everything phone and stereo. Everything worked fine before the update.

Is it possible to go backwards or reload the update? (Which takes forever by the way, like a day and a half.... literally)

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I think you could reset SYNC to factory settings, then update with the newest release. I'd suggest doing the update using the USB download method which takes about 10 minutes but seeing that you have problems with USB it may not work.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I think you could reset SYNC to factory settings, then update with the newest release. I'd suggest doing the update using the USB download method which takes about 10 minutes but seeing that you have problems with USB it may not work.
Agrred, USB method (if possible) is fast but I can't get the confirmation file to ever upload (issue for many). =(

Good luck, this has to be beyond frustrating!

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
So they must have gotten this sorted out on my '21 because with Apple Carplay on a iPhone 12 I have had zero issues, works great with a wireless dongle.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
There are numerous variables here, but to address the main issue, USB Disconnect, it sounds like you have a bad or loose connection at the USB Hub, the system is shutting down and is picking up a short to ground, check the cable runs and the connectors. Bad connections tend to show up more when the temp is hotter, (Increased Resistance)

If you have Forscan, it should be generating a (B) Code, view the exact code and use for Troubleshooting, Reset the Code and Perform A System Power Reset (APIM) with Forscan, as the codes are most likely stored in memory, thus a continued fault issue until the code is reset.

To get the system to reset try pulling these Fuses:

At the BCM. Fuse Panel by Left Knee

Pull for a couple of minutes and then reinsert.

Fuse 31 - Sync Module
Fuse 32 - Radio Transceiver Module
Fuse 33 - ACM

Another Option:
Press and Hold: Seek Up and Power Button for 10 Seconds, this will Reboot system.

The are some in-depth tests that can be done, using a voltmeter and the dealer has a test kit that can hook up to the system and test the Sync System itself.
Can I just say that your troubleshooting advice since you've joined has been excellent and always very well documented?

My truck is trouble free, but I'm glad you bought a Ranger.

Thanks for what you bring to the table.
Sponsored