I cannot understand the purpose of a leveling kit??

Michelle

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Medical
I loved the Ranger when I first looked at it, but didn't like the 3" lowered front end "rake". When I ordered my truck I ordered a bunch of accessories to make it mine. Dealer delivered the truck to me on a Friday afternoon - Sunday morning I installed my BDS 2.5" front levelling kit with FOX 2.0 shocks in the rear. I also had larger tires installed at the dealer before it was delivered (32") I just like the more aggressive look to it, fits the tires better, and handles off-road better. It's all personal - make it your own!
IMG_0813.jpg
Looks awesome! I did a 3” level on mine and it looks like I can fit 32 inch tires on stock wheels? What brand are those tires? Looks great!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Looks awesome! I did a 3” level on mine and it looks like I can fit 32 inch tires on stock wheels? What brand are those tires? Looks great!
You shouldn't have any trouble with 32's with a 3" level on the stock wheels. That's what I have 9265/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers) with a 2.5" level and have never had any rubbing issues.

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
I cannot understand.....

...why some people cannot understand why other people make modifications to their vehicle strictly for looks. I mean, why choose a certain color when you buy a vehicle? Because you like the way it looks. Why choose a chrome package, or different wheels, or different decals, or add pinstriping, or level it? Because you like the way it looks. Different people have different relationships with their vehicles. Some see them as strictly utilitarian, while others see them as a work of art. For me it's art. For those who see them as utilitarian, I'd never ask why. To each his own. IMHO

Darin

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Jack of all trades
Yea you wrong here bud. They settled some in the 70s maybe but not anymore. 2.5 level Completly changed the look of my 2020 Xlt Fx4. Best thing I’ve done so far.
Same here

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You can assume that a stock truck is put together properly for the most part. I would never buy a used truck with mods because I wouldnt know if the work was done properly or not. Lots of half jobs done by untrained backyard wanabees out there.

Way back when a friend told me that he bought a solid lifter cam for his small block chevy. He stated that he didnt want to tear the eng down to put the cam in so he only went so far as to put the solid lifters in. Emoji for half assed. :facepalm:

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
There are two approaches, lower the rear, or raise the front. I don't mind the factory rake, but asthetically the truck would look better if the rear was lowered.
So I've been paging through this thread. I'm one of the guys who actually considered lowering the rear. Want to make it easier to get tools in and out, and reach over the side. Does anyone have a line on a new set of leaf springs to drop it by maybe 1.5 in or so? It would be ok to me if it affected the towing capacity a little.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
So I've been paging through this thread. I'm one of the guys who actually considered lowering the rear. Want to make it easier to get tools in and out, and reach over the side. Does anyone have a line on a new set of leaf springs to drop it by maybe 1.5 in or so? It would be ok to me if it affected the towing capacity a little.
Unfortunately the way Ford designed or trucks, it is way easier to jack the back higher than to lower it. Just changing springs won't do it. Requires an axle flip to get it above the spring along with higher arch springs and different length shocks at the least. Or, a complete coil-over rebuild like @Doc did. Not Easy or cheap either way.

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
We make choices for lots of reasons.

The trucks design is packed with oem function, capability, and features. Trusting in that, my intent is to fully use it and minimize any modification. My thought... the overall engineeered design is symbiotic so leave it alone.

I dont like boob jobs either.

High power driving lights and a bed power outlet is all the Tremor needs for me.

the Tremor package is a leveling kit installed from factory ........

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
the Tremor package is a leveling kit installed from factory ........
No it's really not. Its still low in the front. Even w those Fox's on there. They say it's not "as" low as a regular Ranger but it's still defiantly low.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
A reputable old school Spring shop, that has a press brake, can theoretically "de-arch" your stock springs. What's unknown is the force it would take to do that on our thick monoleaf springs and if that capacity would exceed the capacity of the spring shops brake or not.

Shock length might also be an issue.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I am running Toyo Open Country At-2 AW tires. 265/70R17 on factory 17" rims. I'm in the mountains often, a good sidewall is important for 4x4 traction and airing down when required. I also needed an "AW" rated tire as its required by law here in the mountains.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Really don't know...I didn't pay attention in the beginning being too gunho on setting up my overland rig and not bothered with MPG...since hearing about people getting 27 (likely stock 2wd) and 23-24 (likely stock FX4), I started paying attention and noticed the best that I've ever achieved was 21-22 prior to the tent and fenders...now with everything on board, I'm at 17-18 city and 19-20 highway...but that's with GVW of 5,500 lbs...
Sorry for all the questions, it sounds like you've got a sweet rig regardless of mpg.

Honestly I'm having trouble believing the people claiming 23-24 mpg with their FX4. Best I've seen is around 22 mpg with 93 octane and sustained highway speeds. Around town the average almost never breaks 21.
Sponsored