How much fuel should fit in the tank?

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Too much in the neck can over flow and fill your evap canisters.
I did that on my Explorer, years ago. That saturated something so the system couldn't breathe when filling at the pump, which caused it to click off every few gallons. A real PITA! And not cheap to fix!

So, to this day, I fill it slow and quit on the first click off (if it's anywhere near where I think it should be).
Just my experience.

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
my stealership...on one occasion gave me a full tank of gas, but i saw it billed back to me on the invoice.
i bitched about it, and have never seen them pull that stunt again.

but im no dummy, it's probably buried elsewhere.

so while you think you might be getting free gas, dont be so sure of it...ever
Its hidden in the doc fee or the dealer prep fee. Ive gotten up and walked out from buying a vehicle because of that. Still don’t understand how buying a vehicle isn’t a set price. Other than the lobbying by dealers to prevent that.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
We are from Hurricane Country on the Third Coast originally. During the summer we don't dare go below 1/2 tank and even though I'm in AZ now and away from almost all Hurricanes, the political unrest and potential for societal upheaval has me keeping it at 3/4 with a 5 gallon Jerry at the ready. Will be nice to get to drive it to 1/4 again..

As to how much should fit? 24 to 36 gallons if Ford had the cajones to put a real tank on this beeyoch! Not sure how much space there is underneath for an ER Tank if Titan ever gets around to making one. No truck should ever come with less than a 500 mile range under ideal conditions.

How much should you put in? Two clicks of the fuel filler. First click - count to 15 - light squeeze to the second click and you are done. Too much in the neck can over flow and fill your evap canisters. Fuel you pay for and never get to use. It needs a little breathing room. Shouldn't take much more than 18 gallons and running the tank dry can cause the pump to overheat - maybe not so much in the winter but here in the 117 degree summers when it is rolling over a 170 degree asphalt road it ain't healthy.
I'm sure our resident engineer can chime in when he has time...but I always chuckle when after the auto 'click' stops the fuel people hop out and keep clicking the damn thing 3-4-8 or more times. A few times fuel starts to leak out. Other times Im certain the contaminate the charcoal in the evap-canister/system. I know a guy who own a local shop that services this issue frequently; usually when the drivers cant get the fuel smell out of the cabin.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
speaking of science...do we all know the physics involved in how a TG damper works??

(secretly hoping that science will now stop all talk on those damn dampers)
The physics I'd be interested in with the damper is if a company made one that RAISED with just a little push.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
speaking of science...do we all know the physics involved in how a TG damper works??

(secretly hoping that science will now stop all talk on those damn dampers)
The damper actually slows time to make the tailgate appear to move slower. I have no damper, this is only what I've heard.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You mean like the new Silverado/Sierra tailgate option which can raise or lower with the push of a button on the tailgate instead of a handle? My father-in-law has the one that lowers at the push of a button, my uncle-in-law (if that's even a thing) has the High Country model that goes up and down.
Seems like I remember reading that was a $1,500 option when it was first introduced.

You guys need a Tailgate Monkey...

Last edited:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
You mean like the new Silverado/Sierra tailgate option which can raise or lower with the push of a button on the tailgate instead of a handle? My father-in-law has the one that lowers at the push of a button, my uncle-in-law (if that's even a thing) has the High Country model that goes up and down.
A button you say...?
But what happens when someone with actual testicles drives the truck and wants to put the tailgate down. How are they supposed to do it?

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
"When we picked up our brand spanking shiny new 2019 Ranger SuperCab at the dealership the "Miles To E " display showed "0 " miles of fuel remaining, and the out of fuel chime was ringing."

What kind of dealership hands the keys to a new truck on empty to the buyer. I have never picked up a new vehicle that did not have a full tank of gas.
PLUS...most MSRP/window stickers state FULL TANK OF GAS

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
A button you say...?
But what happens when someone with actual testicles drives the truck and wants to put the tailgate down. How are they supposed to do it?
I don't know. But just guessing.... Maybe ask their wife, or look under "tampon dispenser" in the Owners Manual?

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I was able to get an extra 5 gallons in the tank after installing the tailgate damper. :LOL:

Philb

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Some brave motherfuckers in this thread. My butt starts to pucker when my light comes on with 50 miles left and I put 17 gallons in it.
My butt was beyond puckering and I hope to never get that close again. Also who knows how accurate the pump was.
Sponsored