First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
So I know we have an 18 gallon tank, and I assume that when the cluster tells me I have 12 miles to empty that I probably have a bit more than 1 gallon left. Maybe my assumption is wrong, but I assume it's at least a gallon remaining, maybe 2. Yet today I put 18 gallons in when it said it was 12 miles remaining. Any thoughts? How much fuel will actually fit in the filler neck?
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
By scientific observation, the amount of gasoline in the filler neck is just enough to get you into trouble. :crackup: Especially in remote, desolate areas.

Usually between 1/10th -4/10ths, depends on whether your filler is leaning towards or away from the pump is what I usually get - away always puts a more full tank in.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So I know we have an 18 gallon tank, and I assume that when the cluster tells me I have 12 miles to empty that I probably have a bit more than 1 gallon left. Maybe my assumption is wrong, but I assume it's at least a gallon remaining, maybe 2. Yet today I put 18 gallons in when it said it was 12 miles remaining. Any thoughts? How much fuel will actually fit in the filler neck?
When we picked up our brand spanking shiny new 2019 Ranger SuperCab at the dealership the "Miles To E " display showed "0 " miles of fuel remaining, and the out of fuel chime was ringing.

We drove about 3 blocks and filled up the tank with 91 Octane Top Tier gasoline.

It took 18.524 gallons before it shut off the pump. Fuel capacity per page 319 of the owners manual is 18.8 gallons.

18.8 - 18.524 = 0.276 gallons remaining.

OP
OP
r1ch999999

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
When we picked up our brand spanking shiny new 2019 Ranger SuperCab at the dealership the "Miles To E " display showed "0 " miles of fuel remaining, and the out of fuel chime was ringing.

We drove about 3 blocks and filled up the tank with 91 Octane Top Tier gasoline.

It took 18.524 gallons before it shut off the pump. Fuel capacity per page 319 of the owners manual is 18.8 gallons.

Ahh, see I googled it instead of digging out the manual and it said 18 gallons. I should have known it was wrong, every other statistic on google is off.

Sailor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HPR Ranger Lariat
"When we picked up our brand spanking shiny new 2019 Ranger SuperCab at the dealership the "Miles To E " display showed "0 " miles of fuel remaining, and the out of fuel chime was ringing."

What kind of dealership hands the keys to a new truck on empty to the buyer. I have never picked up a new vehicle that did not have a full tank of gas.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

What kind of dealership hands the keys to a new truck on empty to the buyer. I have never picked up a new vehicle that did not have a full tank of gas.
White's University Motors in Laramie Wyoming.

We bought the truck at our local Ford dealer in Colorado. I found the truck on Ford's website in Laramie Wyoming. The dealer in Colorado gave us a car (Chrysler 300) to drive up and bring our truck home. I offered to do this because I didn't want anybody else driving the truck.

I didn't mind it not being full. But they could have at least put enough in it so I wasn't driving on fumes to the gas station. They kind of treated us like we were their "redheaded step children" while we were there too.

Philb

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
This summer coming out of the Utah Desert pulling my camper I accidentally underestimated my fuel useage. I thought that I was going to run out for sure on the interstate. When I finally pulled into a gas station my truck took 19.8 gallons according to the pump.

Upon research when I got home all I could find is that there is a built in reserve over the 18.3 gallons but couldnt find an exact amount.

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4 (Iconic Silver)
my stealership...on one occasion gave me a full tank of gas, but i saw it billed back to me on the invoice.
i bitched about it, and have never seen them pull that stunt again.

but im no dummy, it's probably buried elsewhere.

so while you think you might be getting free gas, dont be so sure of it...ever
My dealer happily gave me a full tank of gas.

This was, ofcourse, after I spent 35k on a truck. I dont think they would've gave me one otherwise ?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
After looking in Forscan and a few other things from Ford I am pretty sure we have a 19 gallon tank in these trucks. Now if you are one of those that would like a bigger fuel tank that is something that is in the works as we speak. There is another thread about this. If you feel that this is adequate enough then keep it as it is.

Hope this helps.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

What kind of dealer sells you a brand new vehicle with an empty (or almost empty) tank? The last two new Fords I bought (2014, 2019) left the lot with their tanks full!

OP
OP
r1ch999999

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
What kind of dealer sells you a brand new vehicle with an empty (or almost empty) tank? The last two new Fords I bought (2014, 2019) left the lot with their tanks full!
it doesn't surprise me, I've been given keys to go take a test drive with cars on E, once they asked me to go to the gas station with it.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
I've had a few times where I pushed my luck in Ole Blue...she got me to the gas station and I proceeded to put 19.01 gallons in the tank.

What we are not taking into account here I think is the veracity of the actual measuring system we are using. Generally speaking they have a +- of 5% accuracy....at least they SHOULD. in Texas they are fairly spot on with the Dept of weights and measures (used to be a scale tech years ago) so I'm confident that the fuel pumps are accurate. But it never hurts to look for the insp sticker and check the date lol.

According to my fuel records that was the MOST fuel I put in...next highest was 18.49.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Some brave mo%$#%$^&ers in this thread. My butt starts to pucker when my light comes on with 50 miles left and I put 17 gallons in it.
You got that right! I start to get nervous whenever it falls below half a tank!

Last edited by a moderator:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
We are from Hurricane Country on the Third Coast originally. During the summer we don't dare go below 1/2 tank and even though I'm in AZ now and away from almost all Hurricanes, the political unrest and potential for societal upheaval has me keeping it at 3/4 with a 5 gallon Jerry at the ready. Will be nice to get to drive it to 1/4 again..

As to how much should fit? 24 to 36 gallons if Ford had the cajones to put a real tank on this beeyoch! Not sure how much space there is underneath for an ER Tank if Titan ever gets around to making one. No truck should ever come with less than a 500 mile range under ideal conditions.

How much should you put in? Two clicks of the fuel filler. First click - count to 15 - light squeeze to the second click and you are done. Too much in the neck can over flow and fill your evap canisters. Fuel you pay for and never get to use. It needs a little breathing room. Shouldn't take much more than 18 gallons and running the tank dry can cause the pump to overheat - maybe not so much in the winter but here in the 117 degree summers when it is rolling over a 170 degree asphalt road it ain't healthy.
Sponsored