how much does towing affect mpg / range?

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
In my experience wind resistance matters more than weight. It depends on both. 3500 lb camping trailer you will be lucky to get 13 mpg. One reason why I still camp in a tent.
Sponsored

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
This is 3,000lbs and fairly aerodynamic.
We get 13-15 at 62mph.

That being said it’s too small and we’re going bigger.

Attachments

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
My experiences below are in my 4x4 which will give lower mpg than a 4x2. I am also burning 87 E10.

Towing our new RV, a MiniLite 2109s, pic below..... Per CAT scale, total RV weight is 5300 with 750# on the receiver and an Equalizer WDH. This is a 10.5h x 8w, dual axle trailer.

Our longest 800 mile roundtrip thus far was mostly on Florida's Turnpike, from Miami to Rainbow Springs SP. Driving 65-70mph in tow/haul mode yielded 10mpg. This is hand calculated, total miles driven against total fuel purchased. This is about as true a calculation as you can get. You need to use totals once the trip is over so that you remove as much pump / tank top off variation as possible.

Towing my Key West 1720 CC, a 2600# total trailer weight when loaded up and no T/T, I get 17.5mpg when keeping speeds around 60mph. If I go up to 70ish as I have when traveling to other destinations, it drops down to 13.5mpg.

@SergeantRanger, that T/T will definitely decrease your mpg by maybe 1-2mpg.

[ETA: camping trip was using tow/haul mode]
IMG_1096.JPG

Last edited:

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
The answer to your question(s) is "It depends". Our TT weighs in at 3650 and pulls like a dream behind our Ranger. As for mileage, we've had as good as 14 and as low as 8-9. Seems like the biggest influence, besides mph, is wind and its direction. I don't believe weight is a biggie. Within reason. Earlier this year on a trip to Phoenix, we bucked some pretty nasty headwinds and saw our mileage plummet. Coming home from Phoenix, with a nice tailwind and mostly downhill travel we were above 14mpgs. I don't worry so much about MPGs anymore... it is what it is. I do carry a six gallon tank and transfer pump. I use it sometimes when we hit a rest area and it looks like it will get me to a bigger town or different state where fuel is more affordable.
All in all I plan on an average of 11 mpg when I rough out a budget for a trip.

DSCF2066.JPG

DSCF2067.JPG

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
From the trips we've taken so far, I'm at no better than 12mpg hand calculated. 8ft wide TT, combination interstate, 2 lane and mountain. When I look at trip budgets, I usually budget for getting 11mpg and that has so far been just about correct. I run 93 while towing and for the first few tanks before I know we're going. 87/89 most other times.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
ctechbob, you've a 4x2 which will give better mpg (usually 1 mpg) than a 4x4. I will try using 93 octane on the next trip we have scheduled - appx. 850 miles RT up Florida's east coast, all flat land. I'll need to get 12 mpg to make up for the increase in cost.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
ctechbob, you've a 4x2 which will give better mpg (usually 1 mpg) than a 4x4. I will try using 93 octane on the next trip we have scheduled - appx. 850 miles RT up Florida's east coast, all flat land. I'll need to get 12 mpg to make up for the increase in cost.
I kind of cringe a little at the thought of towing on 87 in FL. You're asking a lot out of that motor. Yes, it can adjust and run on 87, but with a TT load on it and with the heat, it will really run better on higher octane stuff.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
The answer to your question(s) is "It depends". Our TT weighs in at 3650 and pulls like a dream behind our Ranger. As for mileage, we've had as good as 14 and as low as 8-9. Seems like the biggest influence, besides mph, is wind and its direction. I don't believe weight is a biggie. Within reason. Earlier this year on a trip to Phoenix, we bucked some pretty nasty headwinds and saw our mileage plummet. Coming home from Phoenix, with a nice tailwind and mostly downhill travel we were above 14mpgs. I don't worry so much about MPGs anymore... it is what it is. I do carry a six gallon tank and transfer pump. I use it sometimes when we hit a rest area and it looks like it will get me to a bigger town or different state where fuel is more affordable.

DSCF2066.JPG

DSCF2067.JPG
Which Winnebago is that? I’m looking for a trailer about that size with no slides.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
Which Winnebago is that? I’m looking for a trailer about that size with no slides.

DSCF2066.JPG

DSCF2067.JPG
Nvm, I see it in your signature. Lol

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I kind of cringe a little at the thought of towing on 87 in FL. You're asking a lot out of that motor. Yes, it can adjust and run on 87, but with a TT load on it and with the heat, it will really run better on higher octane stuff.
The owner's manual specifically says you should run 91 in hot weather and when towing.
Sponsored